• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HogKillers Ground Squirrel season is officially OPEN

IMG_2762.jpeg Took my Mav .25 and my Jefferson State .25. Set up a target at 50 yards to get the JSAR sighted in, finally got it with 33.95's, hitting the smaller 1.5" consistently. My elevation was great but the windage was off a ton to the left, FINALLY got it right, weird because at 30 yards it was spot on. The sun started to come out and so did the Tangos, they were at 100 yards or so, I started to annoy them is all. Now the place is almost a bog after all of the rain so it was hard to tell where the darn shots were going...Finally got that closer, had a bunch of volunteers so the one on the right was the first one down, a solid thunk of 40 ft. lbs hitting it. Oh my it's a target rich environment now, I take more shots and....WTH missing...where is this thing going? Windage was off a click or so to the left still adjusted for that, got the elevation closer and got the one on the left, if I'd been zeroed for 100 I might have gotten about 5 more or so. I was going to try my .25 Maverick but...the regs decided that'd be a great time to fail 650 fps just doesn't cut it with 33.95's they fall out of the barrel.

Sorry for the funky video, it's the first squirrel only. Not sure you wanted to watch 15 min of me tring to figure out where in the heck the pellets were going after this one. I forgot to level out the Trigger Cam.

I have about another month depending on weather before ground squirrels become active here. Cant wait.
I'd like to get out more often but..work gets in the way, even though I'm self-semi-employed. I going out next week, the property in the 'country' is hard to shoot in, most of the squirrels are right next to a road, luckily there is a 3' or so bank as a back drop but I still have to be very careful, I need a spotter to watch for cars and bicyclists.

Went out today, Monday 3.16.24 to my permission, got there early with 3 of my rifles, the Mav,. .25, the Mav compact .22 and the Raptor .25, set up a target at 65 yards and let fly, I was using JSB 33.95's in both of the .25's and some Hades in the .22, in the yard I couldn't get the slugs to play well, got hitting the little target well with all 3 then tried 22gr RMK hybrids and got it working well. Squirrels started coming out at the 50 yard and 56 yard areas, so I took the .22 over. Lined up on one and THUNK but it ran off. Lined up on another and THUNK, it ran off. We saw some others further out 93 yds, came close but no prize. Then another popped up back where we were originally, it as on the other side of the fence with just the shoulders and head showing, waited for passing cars and bicycles and off it went and down it went. I think I have a video, have to look later after hauling grand kids around.

Sadly no video, the trigger cam didn't record.

.IMG_9686.jpegIMG_9693.jpeg

Last edited: