HogKillers 2024 Season begins

Well, a new year and a new gun, didn't need it but hey what does that matter eh. I bought a Jefferson State .25 long everything. Had a few trials and tribulations, got them taken care of. Went to the Horsemans Assoc. , got set up and ok dummy you left targets at home for setting it up. Got a plastic bottle set it out at 100 yards, dialed up the scope to 100 and let fly, oh my it hit it, a few more hits and it went down below the weeds, kept on shooting. The 33.95's were 970fps SD of 2.2, loaded in some RMR/FX 26gr slugs, 1032fps, sound of hitting the bottle. It's overcast and cool, too cool for Ground Squirrels so I wait and chat with the Horsemans Assoc. janitor. He's getting ready to leave and oh look a target on a log, 100 yards away but, he had to go, he leaves and the squirrel leaves too. Wait what do I see, it's a big rabbit, aim at its head and...miss..huh?? So I find a rock out there and shoot, misses to the left, do a windage adjustment of 1.25MOA and brings it in, explains why I missed the bunny. All in all the gun worked well, hammer spring is twanging line a banjo still, got home, took it apart, did a small modification to the piece that Matt put in and a piece of electrical tape, now a slip fit inside the spring and, twang is gone. Now to time the weather for the squirrels and as an extra bonus, more bunnies and gophers. Honestly, I'll do the squirrels and gophers but not sure the bunnies are a problem right now. Oh saw one heck of a HUGE friggin' hawk overhead. Had a wingspan well over 3'.

Well, a new year and a new gun, didn't need it but hey what does that matter eh. I bought a Jefferson State .25 long everything. Had a few trials and tribulations, got them taken care of. Went to the Horsemans Assoc. , got set up and ok dummy you left targets at home for setting it up. Got a plastic bottle set it out at 100 yards, dialed up the scope to 100 and let fly, oh my it hit it, a few more hits and it went down below the weeds, kept on shooting. The 33.95's were 970fps SD of 2.2, loaded in some RMR/FX 26gr slugs, 1032fps, sound of hitting the bottle. It's overcast and cool, too cool for Ground Squirrels so I wait and chat with the Horsemans Assoc. janitor. He's getting ready to leave and oh look a target on a log, 100 yards away but, he had to go, he leaves and the squirrel leaves too. Wait what do I see, it's a big rabbit, aim at its head and...miss..huh?? So I find a rock out there and shoot, misses to the left, do a windage adjustment of 1.25MOA and brings it in, explains why I missed the bunny. All in all the gun worked well, hammer spring is twanging line a banjo still, got home, took it apart, did a small modification to the piece that Matt put in and a piece of electrical tape, now a slip fit inside the spring and, twang is gone. Now to time the weather for the squirrels and as an extra bonus, more bunnies and gophers. Honestly, I'll do the squirrels and gophers but not sure the bunnies are a problem right now. Oh saw one heck of a HUGE friggin' hawk overhead. Had a wingspan well over 3'.
H K , Sounds like you've got some good times ahead . Too cool here in PA, matter o' fact there's 3+" of new snow this morning . I thought I might get a jump on groundhogs last week a few days after Groundhog Day. I glassed one out in a wheat field as it was checking other holes. The weather has been Spring like so much that flowers are up & trees are coming in bud, & Bluebirds are checking out boxes. That's changed now ! I've been popping a few sparrows , a few starlings and an occasional crow at the farm when it's not too windy . Lots of trigger time in the Man Cave or in the old horse barn ( get 20 yrd.s there ).

Went out today with my faithful retriever Pete, I'd been messing around with my Mav. .22 compact so I sighted it in at 55 yards. Saw two rodents out at 95 yards took a few shots with the Mav. .25 but....nary a clue where the pellets, 33.94's went. Saw one at 59 yards, grabbed the .22 and let fly, hit it, sadly it was bouncing around as soon as I hit it, Pete went over to retrieve it and it was still breathing, I grabbed my Tequila .22 pistol and put a pellet in its head. I'd sighted in the Tequila yesterday at 10 yards so it was pretty much spot on. Really didn't like that first shot. It should have been square in the heart but obviously not.

We tried to get Pete's drone up but......the old guys couldn't get the video to work, I got it up but the homing decided it didn't want to play well. We gave up and went after squirrels

Confirmed count now is 4

. FullSizeRender (1).jpeg

What the HE...CK, beautiful day, no wind, 72º and...only 3 of the critters popped up. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Had one at 105 yards and I took a few shots, my numbers were off...give me a break., got one just in-front of it. The weeds are getting high, pretty soon I'll have to get on the roof to get a good shot. Oh well next week. Oh we still can't get the darn drone to work but at least we had a nice Poke Bowl lunch out of the deal.

Another day another, where in the heck are they? It was an absolutely perfect day, calm wind, 70º, drove in the gate, 3 squirrels, in the growing weeds, went to our bench and unloaded the car, Pete set up the target at 70 yards,. I got the Raptor sighted in, Strelok was off a mile, got the Maverick .25, used the Raptor numbers and....hit the target nice and solid. A couple of the squirrels were out there but I had zero confidence now, took a few shots but missed. We played with Pete's drone, actually got it flying and no crashes, so that's a good day,. Squirrels went and hid, so I started shooting small dirt clods at 100 yards, both the Raptor and Maverick hitting them. Checked the other squirrels spots and still nothing. We decided to call it and...yep a squirrel on the fence at 57 yards but we were packed up and it jumped down into the weeds. On the bright side they are starting to mow the weeds, I can only hope they mow out where the squirrels are. The wealthy folks really aren't into actually working, say by sitting on a tractor towing a mower for hours and hours. To top it off they start at 1100 hrs, not early when it's cooler. I'm guessing that this old guy may have to volunteer to learn to use the equipment and mow where I need it done so I can splat their squirrels.

Sounds like a fun day in beautiful weather! Wife and I flew our drones yesterday at the park, had a blast!
Hmmmmmm, I was going to say we can't fly drones here but....after reviewing the rules....not seeing anything against them. Rockets are limited but nothing about drones. The rules were dated 2019 so a phone call is in order, it'd be cool to just walk across the street. Which drones do you have?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bandito
Hmmmmmm, I was going to say we can't fly drones here but....after reviewing the rules....not seeing anything against them. Rockets are limited but nothing about drones. The rules were dated 2019 so a phone call is in order, it'd be cool to just walk across the street. Which drones do you have?
I use an app called B4UFly and it lets you know where you can fly beforehand, you can also put in an address or area, app is free. My drones software is under restricted GEO zones so my drone will not even take off where it is prohibited.

I use an app called B4UFly and it lets you know where you can fly beforehand, you can also put in an address or area, app is free. My drones software is under restricted GEO zones so my drone will not even take off where it is prohibited.
And back to the question, which drones do you have?

Well According to the FAA I'm clear at my local park, which is weird because i'm in the general flight path of the Google Air Force as well as F35's that come in on practice sorties at Moffett and some other military planes.

Sorry about not remembering to tell you which drone I have, it's a DJI Mini 3 Standard.
Ahhhh, I'm looking for a larger one that will carry rockets for ground squirrels. Yeah yeah yeah I know, currently frowned upon but it'd still be fun. My friend has a lower end Ruko works well, we have it in dummy mode as well it should be.

Ahhhh, I'm looking for a larger one that will carry rockets for ground squirrels. Yeah yeah yeah I know, currently frowned upon but it'd still be fun. My friend has a lower end Ruko works well, we have it in dummy mode as well it should be.
Cool! That will take a much larger drone to carry that weight I believe. Mine is a sub 250 gram drone and can carry about 8oz. I've been flying drones for quite a few years and still have fun flying them, the new models are absurd with the things they can do....tech has come a long way!

Cool! That will take a much larger drone to carry that weight I believe. Mine is a sub 250 gram drone and can carry about 8oz. I've been flying drones for quite a few years and still have fun flying them, the new models are absurd with the things they can do....tech has come a long way!
Yeah something about the FAA and testing to get a big one. I might get a small one for giggles because the darn squirrels aren't cooperating n their demise. Or I might just work on my friends, nice thing about the area we can fly in is it's wide open and from what i can tell, no flight restrictions.

Yeah something about the FAA and testing to get a big one. I might get a small one for giggles because the darn squirrels aren't cooperating n their demise. Or I might just work on my friends, nice thing about the area we can fly in is it's wide open and from what i can tell, no flight restrictions.
Drones under 250 grams do not have to be registered with the FAA. Definitely get the free B4UFLY app as it works for most of the world and have fun sniping those ground squirrels!

Oh my goodness! Thank you! I just uploaded AUTOPYLOT.....same as B4UFLY.....I have an iPhone.
I got AirHub. Been watching a ton of videos on how to crash a drone, I will probably have THAT covered. You may enjoy this....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pEqyr_uT-k

And to another note, IF I do something stupid, and keeping up THAT tradition, I'll use an iPad instead of a phone. Just what I need is another toy, like airguns aren't enough to keep me frustrated.

I got AirHub. Been watching a ton of videos on how to crash a drone, I will probably have THAT covered. You may enjoy this....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pEqyr_uT-k

And to another note, IF I do something stupid, and keeping up THAT tradition, I'll use an iPad instead of a phone. Just what I need is another toy, like airguns aren't enough to keep me frustrated.
Cool, thank you! Apple products are very simple but fun, not enabling by any means....🤗! I too have too many hobbies that are fun yet frustrating, guess I'm a sucker for punishment!