• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hog Hunting with Airgun

So do people use airgun for hog hunting? I have some pretty big hog traveling through the conservation area at the end of the yard and I often wonder is a quiet airgun would take these out! We bow hunt so that would be quiet enough to dispatch them but they do howl a lot when hit!

View attachment 323484
We don't have hogs here in N.Y but, I would love to, I have a aea big bore 357 over 300fpe and a 257 texan.

357_aea (1).jpg

Last edited:
Thats awesome! So How do you feel about your switching to airguns/ pcp?
It’s been a lot of fun. It’s certainly more challenging; I think dealing with a much slower projectile is personally my biggest hurdle, but I enjoy having to get closer to my target and focus even more on shot placement. I live on a few acres but I still have neighbors, they know when my powder burners go off, but my Texan they have said they can’t hear at all, even though I wouldn’t say it’s “quiet”.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
It’s been a lot of fun. It’s certainly more challenging; I think dealing with a much slower projectile is personally my biggest hurdle, but I enjoy having to get closer to my target and focus even more on shot placement. I live on a few acres but I still have neighbors, they know when my powder burners go off, but my Texan they have said they can’t hear at all, even though I wouldn’t say it’s “quiet”.
What Texan do you have? I bought the 257 about a week and a half, best PCP I own!

The long one is the DonnyFL Emperor and the short one is the DonnyFL Ronin. I use the Ronin on my FX Maverick .30cal pushing 90fpe, and it does a decent job. If you have a higher powered .30cal (like a Texan or something) then I'd suggest something Emperor sized.

Now here is the problem. DonnyFL no longer sells suppressors after the 3 letter agency visit. I don't know which company has comparable performance to it.
N2 Shooter,
What mm barrel do you have on the Maverick? I have heard someone say that their 600 mm Wildcat barrel was quieter than their 500mm one. I could even hear the difference on YouTube, or so I think. Yes, I know that typically the longer the barrel the quieter the gun, but I have heard so many different opinions on this with different guns, I figured I'd ask. Thanks. S7

N2 Shooter,
What mm barrel do you have on the Maverick? I have heard someone say that their 600 mm Wildcat barrel was quieter than their 500mm one. I could even hear the difference on YouTube, or so I think. Yes, I know that typically the longer the barrel the quieter the gun, but I have heard so many different opinions on this with different guns, I figured I'd ask. Thanks. S7
The Maverick VP comes with a 600mm barrel. I run a DonnyFL Ronin suppressor on the end of it to keep the noise down.
20220917_122750.jpg

Reactions: dantiff2
This is the thing. Big bore high powered airguns are loud. Really loud! Like hearing protecting loud!

View attachment 323493
As you can see my 200 fpe Bulldog .357s have suppressors on them to tame these beast. If you get a Texan or Hammer or Something, make certain to budget a Suppressor into the equation.
What power zoom do you like on your ATN's? I've never looked through one to know if 3x6, 4x8 or 5x10 would be better suited for me. I'm looking at the Thor LT 320 model. thanks!

Reactions: N2 Shooter
What power zoom do you like on your ATN's? I've never looked through one to know if 3x6, 4x8 or 5x10 would be better suited for me. I'm looking at the Thor LT 320 model. thanks!
It depends on what you are hunting. Another big factor is how many mils or MOA for each tick mark. With my ATN Thor 4 1.25-5x 384 scope, each tick on the mil dot recticle was 14 MOA! It's gonna be more on the LT 320 because the resolution is less. If you are hunting hog at 75 yards, I'd go with the 4-8. If you are hunting coyote, get as much resolution and magnification as you can afford.

I'm looking at being able to use this from my back yard 5-100 yards to some short field hunting for yotes. Realistically 200 yards max. I can't afford a 5K$ scope. Something in that 1600$ price range would be doable. I was worried about a 5x10 LT 320 being too grainy at 10x. The LT 320 does not have a mil dot reticle that I saw. It's pretty bare bones.
The bigger issue is how will you accurately aim for a kill zone with that resolution at that distance? I was able to get hits on a 16 oz frozen bottle of water at 75 yards, but I can't say I would be able to reliably hit an apple at that distance with the Thor 4 384 1.25-5, and that is close to the size of a yote heart.

The bigger issue is how will you accurately aim for a kill zone with that resolution at that distance? I was able to get hits on a 16 oz frozen bottle of water at 75 yards, but I can't say I would be able to reliably hit an apple at that distance with the Thor 4 384 1.25-5, and that is close to the size of a yote heart.
I'll let the bullet do the "work", I just need to be able to identify the critter at 100 yards. Can you tell between an opossum and a raccoon at that distance? Would a 4x8 be better than the 5x10? What would the down side be to a 5x10 thermal? All the specs show it being better as far as performance. I'm looking at the distances that they claim you can identify objects. I have zero experience with thermals. Is the picture clearer with lower power magnification models? The description for the 5x10 power is for extreme long ranges but does not give a number. Is that 100, 200 or 1000 yards?

I'll let the bullet do the "work", I just need to be able to identify the critter at 100 yards. Can you tell between an opossum and a raccoon at that distance? Would a 4x8 be better than the 5x10? What would the down side be to a 5x10 thermal? All the specs show it being better as far as performance. I'm looking at the distances that they claim you can identify objects. I have zero experience with thermals. Is the picture clearer with lower power magnification models? The description for the 5x10 power is for extreme long ranges but does not give a number. Is that 100, 200 or 1000 yards?
This ATN page states the identification distances for each scope. Notice, higher resolutions have longer identification detection ranges for the same magnification. But also notice in the fine print it says 16 pixles per meter, and that's not really a lot of resolution to determine what you're shooting at. With a thermal, you really have to observe and be aware of your game's movements and mannerisms before a final determination can be made.

You'll have no problem determining a coyote from a hog, or a coyote from a raccoon at 100 yards, but I'm not so certain you can tell a possum from a raccoon from that distance.

With my THOR 4 384 1.25-5x, I almost took out a possum thinking it was a raccoon, and that was at 30 yards! Now mind you, this was a absolute unit of a possum at +20 pounds, and probably was pregnant.

This ATN page states the identification distances for each scope. Notice, higher resolutions have longer identification detection ranges for the same magnification. But also notice in the fine print it says 16 pixles per meter, and that's not really a lot of resolution to determine what you're shooting at.
That's good information! thanks ; ) I think you answered my question wondering if the 5x10 was a "better" option. Sounds like the clarity does not get better with the higher power. I'm thinking the 3x6 or 4x8 is probably fine for what i'm looking for.