• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hog Duty

I use the thermal when in predator country at night. It shows you everything, even things seeming hiding behind brush. I also use it going in and out of deer stands so as not to spook bedded or feeding deer. 

Is running a thermal scope and some type of bait legal there? An electronic caller with remote would be another thing to add to the pest dispatching tool bag if legal.

Funny you should ask. I just got off the phone with the property owners. They said get the yotes too. I told them I don’t know how to hunt them and the only thing I’m comfortable with is drawing them into the he open with an electronic caller and a decoy and taking my shot. If I had a partner I would have probably tried hand calling them last night. I honestly don’t know the laws concerning coyotes. I read over them once or twice but don’t remember them. I’d have to check. The owners don’t want me to bait any pest animals because this is agricultural land and there are livestock who depend on the land for food. Thermal is something a few me members have been discussing with me over the past month. I’m sort of resistant to it because tracking, setting up a stand, and calling are things I enjoy doing. I feel like a thermal unit would rob me of utilizing my skills and/or developing new hunting skills. It’s something to consider when I think about how things played out last night. 

Pest and predator hunting should be looked at a little bit different than hunting deer or other trophy game animals. Once you do the legwork and have found a spot to hunt them then use what tools, like electronic callers and thermal scopes or the like to get the job done. I actually discovered the thermal handheld unit made by Leupold (LTO Tracker) when I was researching the idea of making one. Hunting in predator country in the north after dark a lot, I and had been followed/stalked on more than one occasion be bear and wolves, and even pinned up in a bow stand well after dark by a pack of coyotes feeding close by one time years ago. The thermal unit I have essentially lets you see what warm-blooded animals that are near you in the dark, but it can be used in many helpful ways.

@airgun-hobbyist Yea. I’m learning the differences pretty quick here. A bit of ego was involved I suppose. Today I found myself looking at some thermal offerings. I’m not trying to chase this hog forever. @Squirrel_getter was telling me a few things about thermal units. He actually wrote a pretty informative piece on them for folks who aren’t familiar with the tech. 

The scat is coon or opossum, impossible to say which with out more data.The hair scat is coyote. The track is dog. Your odds of seeing and having any real chance of killing a hog with your gun of choice would go up considerably if you use bait. Dump a few bags of corn out near a tree where you can get around 16 foot off the ground. A hogs sense of smell is incredible and will be the biggest challenge to over come in getting close enough with time enough to make a killing shot. The only placement I would consider is side view base of ear. Nothing in East Texas is going to harm you, even after dark. But I would be very cautious looking for a hog I just shot with a p gun, that very well could get you hurt. Good luck!

The scat is coon or opossum, impossible to say which with out more data.The hair scat is coyote. The track is dog. Your odds of seeing and having any real chance of killing a hog with your gun of choice would go up considerably if you use bait. Dump a few bags of corn out near a tree where you can get around 16 foot off the ground. A hogs sense of smell is incredible and will be the biggest challenge to over come in getting close enough with time enough to make a killing shot. The only placement I would consider is side view base of ear. Nothing in East Texas is going to harm you, even after dark. But I would be very cautious looking for a hog I just shot with a p gun, that very well could get you hurt. Good luck!

@fuznut Thanks for the input. I’m becoming more comfortable being out closer to the yotes. I’ve been close to single coyotes before, but now groups. It took a little adjusting. They started just before I went to bed and there was one that seemed to be on the property. I tried a feeble attempt at calling it out of the woods but I sounded horrible and I didn’t hear it any more. I figured it was worth a shot. 

As for the hog. I told the property owner that this would go easier with bait and we may have to consider other options. I set some corn out last night and I saw four white tails come to clean it up a around 3:45am, a couple hours after I headed back to camp. This is a learning experience for me. I’ve been out after hogs with dogs in a group, but never alone like this. 

Concerning the scat, I’d looked up all sorts of animal scat and still can’t figure out what that seed ladened pile of scat is from. I’m really curious about what they’re eating because it seems to be abundant. I’ve seen a good amount of scat piles in the woods that look like the picture. 

If you look close you will see its actually a mix of seeds. Best bet someone's horse or cattle is loosing a little food to a coon or opossum. It's not wild plant seed that is various grains.

That sounds feasible. I hadn’t considered that. There are a few different types of ranches in the area. I don’t think the livestock on the ranch I’m on are leaving anything to a scavenging animal. Thanks again. 

Well now that I think about it, it is a wild seed the plant has a stalk similar to sun flower not as tough only a few large leaves and makes a head kinda like maize with much bigger and way fewer seeds. It's a weed I have no idea of the name but it's every where very common. No way you have not seen it countless times late in the summer early fall the stalk turns blood red. Bet that's what the round seeds are. The plant gets about 4 ft tall.

I spent the later part of the morning and early half of the afternoon scouring parts of the woods for evidence of bedding areas. I didn’t notice any distinguishable fresh hog tracks or scat. I bent, stooped, and crawled my way through considerable brush hopping to flush a hog if caught bedded down.

E3EEE856-2D15-470F-B523-A1297931454C.1644612905.jpeg

26092C29-BAE0-48C3-87FE-66EB0D4D608A.1644612377.jpeg

I came across a couple of bedding areas, they could’ve been deer or hog. Although I saw no deer hair present in the bed. I can’t say how recently an animal bedded down in these places. Below is a picture of one. 
9A06C49F-E81C-4B8D-99B5-B95E96292B8D.1644612549.jpeg

Then I checked along the creek bed for fresh tracks or maybe a wallow I doubt that it’s warm enough for that. A hog would probably have to be laying directly in the sun for some time to feel the need to roll in the mud. It’s much easier to lay in the shade to keep cool. The sun does feel good though. Didn’t notice fresh hog tracks by the creek either. 
2284A208-0725-44F5-BEB7-2C64C791E4D5.1644613159.jpeg

If they needed a wallow, I though this may have been a good place. The soil seems naturally soggy in this area or it’s a branch of the creek that’s currently kind of dry right now.

293C0D3E-CEC1-4089-BBA5-E5E070EBCD83.1644613637.jpeg

After covering the land on one side of the creek. I stopped searching for beds and began planning my night activities. I located a clearing on the fringe of this grazing area. I cleared of vines and sticks so I can post here tonight. I’ve ranged different points in the open areas for my shots and made notes of them that I will study to prepare for this evening. I’ve also placed some artificial landmarks in different areas to act as range markers. I’m about to spread some corn now, replace my camera’s memory card, and test some more slugs. Then I will make the rest of my preparations for the night and take care of a few other things.
A8C8377A-8B87-441A-8613-02B2557A1ACD.1644613394.jpeg

I’m not even sure if it’s still in the area. I haven’t seen activity on camera in a couple of days. Still going to try and give it a shot. I know y’all want to see a dead hog. So do I, but I’m new at this. More to come…..

I was reading back through this thread now that I am home and wanted to be sure to address things and people I’d missed in previous posts. 

B05A60E5-2C67-4723-93D4-2FF1AD8537CF.1644704491.jpeg

wow this sounds intense , I saw people trap them hogs , we do not have them in CT ,I didnt think fracking of oil went on still , but my guess is when oil skyrocketed again it became profitable I hear them hogs can ruin fields causing livestock to break legs and not live along with ruts ruining farm equipment

The above photo was taken in the spring when some companies brought in a lot of equipment to drill two gas wells. In my area the term “oilfield work” covers oil and natural gas. Most of what’s currently going on has been natural gas exploration. Oil/gas companies arrange to clear timber from a tract of land to which they own or have leased the oil and mineral rights (which also included natural gas). Then stumps, brush, and debris are gathered with heavy machinery, ground up, buried, and or burned. Next another contractor levels and preps the land for exploration by preparing what’s known as “a pad.” To do so a lot of heavy equipment, like earth movers, excavators, and large bulldozers, is hauled into the site (enough to resemble a small college campus).They also literally haul in tons of sand used for fracking. The sand is transported in the gray boxes stacked beneath the dirt road towards the middle of the photo. Before the actual fracturing or “fracking,” drilling comes first and after a certain depth is reached a mixture of high pressure water, a specific type of sand, and chemicals (to maintain a certain viscosity to my understanding) are used to cut into shale rock deep beneath the surface to fracture the rock formation and release the natural gas trapped beneath. Water for fracking (frack water) is pumped into a site using large diesel pumps via large-diameter rubber hoses. The hoses are unfurled along the sides of roads and highways, over and under driveways, in drainage ditches, and beneath roads. Frack water is sourced from ponds on various properties for miles around. The water is sold by the pond’s property owner. I’ve seen some these ponds get drained almost to the bottom then dug out deeper. After which, the ponds are refilled with ground water and rain runoff to be used again as needed by these companies. I’ve also seen water pumped from a local river. This is my understanding of what I’ve seen, been told, and have read about the fracking process.

Once the gas is reached somehow it is contained in a well and the release of gas is controlled as it’s moved for processing. In addition to drilling, fracking, and installing the wells contractors come to dig, weld, and bury a lot of pipes forming a pipeline to transport the gas; we have a few natural gas facilities in the region as well. There is also constant 18-wheeler traffic hauling “salt water” or natural gas fracking byproducts pushed out of the earth by the natural gas that has been released for extraction. These trucks can be seen and heard on the roads going in and out of these types of sites 24/7. All of this makes a lot of noise, most of which can be heard for miles, and is responsible for heating our homes, cooking, and generating electricity. Industrial traffic also puts a lot of wear and tear on country highways and roadways

When hunting in the area I heard a lot of the aforementioned noise from these wells and sites pictured, in addition to noise from wells within a 1-2 mile radius. These sites were previously piney woods that have been cleared for this sort of industrial activity. As I mentioned earlier, this causes the animals to move around. There have been several other wells that have sprang up since the photo of the two above were taken during spring of 2021. I explained all of this to provide some sort of context to my discussion of my hearing being compromised on the hunt, animals being forced to move into different areas, as well as to address @jwrabbit123’s above quoted comment in bold. I hope this clears up any confusion. 

Edited typos. 

In response to @squirrel_getter’s hunting a sow with piglets with his shotgun using bird shot story, the person that asked about the use of shotguns, and those who suggested using powder burners as backup. If any of these things are done or used it will not be posted here. Because AGN is an airgun site I am attempting to highlight my experience as an airgunner. I also wish to test my abilities, airguns, and ammo upon the animals I had in mind to use them on when I purchased some of my big bores. If they fail to do so, then I will stop attempting to use airguns for said purposes. 

I have a modified .357 Benjamin Bulldog slug gun that I bought specifically to use to learn to hunt coyotes. I brought it on this hunt after considering that I haven’t done a lot of slug testing with the .30 Evol and I’m more comfortable shooting Bulldogs and confident that this one in particular is capable of dispatching any wild animal on this property within a reasonable range of 50-75 yards (or maybe more). 

@Squirrel_getter, @AncientSword, and @Airgun-Hobbyist have convinced me to try a thermal scanner. That will be employed in the coming weeks coupled with night vision. This will be an ongoing venture. Hogs need to be cleared or deterred from the property before spring. Coyote management seems to be needed as well, but this is secondary. After reviewing my trail cam footage when I got home, I realized that I’d caught what appears to have been a coyote on camera in the same area I filmed the hog. I thought it was a deer viewing it on a dirty and smudged up screen. I may upload a clip of it some other time. If I can prove that I can handle the task, then I’ll be the one of the main contributors to managing pest animals on this land.

A couple of other property owners have heard about what I’m attempting to do and are checking in. Hopefully this experience may result in more opportunities for me. This is a new style of hunting for me and I’m learning. I’ve only been on a couple of hog hunts previously and I went with different groups that used dogs. Thank you all for your input and reading along as I go through this journey. I’m not done yet. However, this morning I packed up camp due to rain and an ensuing cold front. 

In response to @squirrel_getter’s hunting a sow with piglets with his shotgun using bird shot story, the person that asked about the use of shotguns, and those who suggested using powder burners as backup. If any of these things are done or used it will not be posted here. Because is an airgun site I am attempting to highlight my experience as an airgunner. I also wish to test my abilities, airguns, and ammo upon the animals I had in mind to use them on. If they fail to do so, then I will stop attempting to use airgins for said purposes. 

I have modified .357 Benjamin Bulldog slug gun that I bought specifically to use to learn to hunt coyotes. I brought it on this hunt after considering that I haven’t done a lot of slug testing with the .30 Evol and I’m more comfortable shooting Bulldogs and confident that this one in particular is capable of dispatching any wild animal on this property within a reasonable range of 50-75 yards (or maybe more). 

@Squirrel_getter, @AncientSword, and @Airgun-Hobbyist have convinced me to try a thermal scanner. That will be employed in the coming weeks coupled with night vision. This will be an ongoing venture. Hogs need to be cleared or deterred from the property before spring. Coyote management seems to be needed as well, but this is secondary. After review my trail cam footage when I got home I realized that I’d caught what appears to have been a coyote on camera in the same area I filmed the hog. I thought it was a deer viewing it on a dirty and smudged up screen. I may upload a clip of it some other time. If I can prove that I can handle the task, then I’ll be the one of the main contributors to managing pest animals on this land.

A couple of other property owners have heard about what I’m attempting to do and are checking in. Hopefully this experience may result in more opportunities for me. This is a new style of hunting for me and I’m learning. I’ve only been on a couple of hog hunts previously and I went with different groups that used dogs. Thank you all for your input and reading along as I go through this journey. I’m not done yet. However, this morning I packed up camp due to rain and an ensuing cold front.

I have a thermal scope, and I am also in the market for a thermal scanner. The one time I went out doing a call for raccoon was a terrifying experience for me because I had my gun on the BOG FieldPro Max pointed one way, but I could hear some movement behind me and to the side. I got tired quick constantly taking the Bulldog off the BOG and trying to look all over the place. A thermal monocular will really help keep me at ease the next time I decide to go out and do solo night hunting. 

I am looking at the cheap route and getting the AGM 160 or save up a bit more and get the ATN OTS XLT since it has a front lens element that you can focus. 

Well now that I think about it, it is a wild seed the plant has a stalk similar to sun flower not as tough only a few large leaves and makes a head kinda like maize with much bigger and way fewer seeds. It's a weed I have no idea of the name but it's every where very common. No way you have not seen it countless times late in the summer early fall the stalk turns blood red. Bet that's what the round seeds are. The plant gets about 4 ft tall.

@fuznut I’m not sure, but the first thing that comes to mind is Pokeweed that old timers made poke salad out of. The berries turn deep purple and grow in bunches. If so, that stuff grows all over.

This thread is better than any reality TV series.

Think so? Well it’s definitely reality. 

98% sure that’s raccoon scat. 

It’s a very interesting feeling when there’s nothing between you and the wild life except a thin layer of cloth. Looks like you’re having fun.

mike

This has been quite the learning experience. I have watched some of my favorite hunters and listened to them discuss their setups. Now when I watch that sort of thing before they finish explaining I have a pretty good idea why they select some of their gear because I’m starting to have exposure to similar experiences. I’m also beginning to see flaws in some of my equipment for specific applications. It’s been interesting and I’m just getting started. 

I am looking at the cheap route and getting the AGM 160 or save up a bit more and get the ATN OTS XLT since it has a front lens element that you can focus.

Check out the AGM Taipan TM10-256. Much better than the ASP 160 and Outdoor Legacy Gear has them on a good sale right now. I just bought one a couple weeks ago. It’s not a 384 unit but it’s a lot better than the lower resolution. I felt like I never wanted to use the ASP once I got the Rattler, but the Taipan isn’t as big a drop off.

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/collections/thermal-handheld/products/agm-taipan-tm10-256-thermal-monocular?variant=39357316759626

Check out the AGM Taipan TM10-256. Much better than the ASP 160 and Outdoor Legacy Gear has them on a good sale right now. I just bought one a couple weeks ago. It’s not a 384 unit but it’s a lot better than the lower resolution. I felt like I never wanted to use the ASP once I got the Rattler, but the Taipan isn’t as big a drop off.

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/collections/thermal-handheld/products/agm-taipan-tm10-256-thermal-monocular?variant=39357316759626

That's an excellent price for a 256! Thanks a bunch!

Today I checked my camera again and I’ve seen most other animals I hunt or would like to hunt, but still no hog. There’s a coyote I’ve seen a couple of times, either that or it’s two separate dogs. They move fast. Before the camera is even triggered the yote can be just about out of the frame. I’m going to get some yotes off this place. I also caught some young cows grazing in the same area. This may prove problematic if the yotes are bold enough to isolate and attack a lone yearling. The one pictured below showed up before I posted up the evening of 2/11/22. 
4402ED41-F004-4C9B-9B0F-EAB4665BD97A.1644890855.jpeg

I’m beginning to wonder if I really pressured the hog out of the area. What do y’all think? I haven’t seen the hog on camera, nor any evidence of hog activity around the open areas, and I didn’t see anything recent when I ventured through the woods. I thought I saw fresh hog tracks today, but when I played the footage back I realized a young cow ventured into the area to graze. I’m still monitoring this property for hog activity. 

Today I was back on the property to check my camera that’s been mounted in the affected area for about a week and all I’ve seen are raccoons and crows on camera. I moved it to another location where I’ve seen coyote tracks now that there are new calves in the herd. I got to pet a newborn calf today, that’s not a common occurrence. He got up and took off “running” after a few strokes.

There have been no signs of hog activity around the place. I’m still remaining vigilant, but still no signs of a hog which isn’t necessarily a bad thing……………

for the rancher.