• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

RAW Rapid HM1000X .22 question about shooting slugs

I would like some input from those of you with some experience shooting slugs with this gun. I’m thinking of trying slugs for two reasons. One the quality of the 25 grain pellets seems to be going down hill and two I would like a hollow point around the 25 grain weight range.
I have tried a number of different diameters, weights, and speeds in that weight range and so far I can’t get any to shoot good consistently. I can get a good group with some occasionally but not consistently

I was wondering if anyone else has had success with slugs in these guns and if so what slugs and speeds it took. Or if these guns just don’t like slugs.

Last edited:
Zach, for me to get accuracy with slugs thru my .22 RAW, the slugs need to fit snugly into the breech. If a slug goes in easily, it will be a flier, you will definitely feel much more resistance than when loading a pellet if the slug fits correctly in your breech/lands, like this goes in tightly. I have my RAW tuned to shoot 18gr JSB pellets @ 970fps and NSA 17.5gr .2175 slugs @ approximately 950fps. I would start with 20gr slugs up to 23gr slugs (As slugs will fly slower due to drag from the lands/grooves) and find the diameter/length slug your barrel prefers then adjust speed accordingly. I would say 880fps and up. Remember, slugs are spin stabilized so the slug needs to have each land contacting the slugs with equal force. The most important thing to understand is to find the slugs diameter and to some extent length and speed that will impart the spin needed for a stabilized flight. Have fun, good luck!

Zach, for me to get accuracy with slugs thru my .22 RAW, the slugs need to fit snugly into the breech. If a slug goes in easily, it will be a flier, you will definitely feel much more resistance than when loading a pellet if the slug fits correctly in your breech/lands, like this goes in tightly. I have my RAW tuned to shoot 18gr JSB pellets @ 970fps and NSA 17.5gr .2175 slugs @ approximately 950fps. I would start with 20gr slugs up to 23gr slugs (As slugs will fly slower due to drag from the lands/grooves) and find the diameter/length slug your barrel prefers then adjust speed accordingly. I would say 880fps and up. Remember, slugs are spin stabilized so the slug needs to have each land contacting the slugs with equal force. The most important thing to understand is to find the slugs diameter and to some extent length and speed that will impart the spin needed for a stabilized flight. Have fun, good luck!
I appreciate the advice. I’ve tried 17 grain slugs in that diameter without much success but I haven’t tried the 20 or 23 grain. I have have been shooting them faster than that so maybe I need to slow them down

I appreciate the advice. I’ve tried 17 grain slugs in that diameter without much success but I haven’t tried the 20 or 23 grain. I have have been shooting them faster than that so maybe I need to slow them down
Zach, you're welcome! Every barrel is different...just need to find diameter/length and speed combo that works! It can be a very frustrating fit/tune. Also, clean your barrel then shoot about 5 JSB pellets thru to re-seaon the barrel then the slugs, it may take a few shots but then groups will tighten up if the slugs fit. The only time I fire some slugs thru is right after I've cleaned my barrel FYI.