• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hiw many size and weigh pellets??

Have been playing with my pelletgauge for a few days and getting use to using it. Was showing it to a few other shooters and one claimed "nobody uses those stupid things" and that "all the top shooters don't worry about the head size".

So for those of you at the higher levels....how many people use a head sizer to help minimize groups? I'm still going to test with my RedWolf to see if there is any difference, but wanted you guys to chime in as well.

Well, I guess I must be a nobody because I weight sort all pellets into groups and then head size those. After I fill a tin of the weight and hs sorted pellets I lube with furniture spray and dry in a humidity controlled vault then seal up the tins till I need them. Very relaxing hobby for me on those cold blustery days we get this thime of year in Michigan.

I have experimented extensively with headsizing. It is EXTREMELY time consuming (especially when combined with washing, inspecting, weighing, and lubing).

That being said, it certainly does make a difference. If you are looking for the absolute highest levels of precision, it is probably a good practice.

However, when I was headsizing (and doing the whole sorting process outlined above) for RMAC/EBR I noticed that I was spending substantially more time headsizing (specifically) than I was practicing. Hence I stuck to weighing (and depending on the pellet, washing and lubing). Shocker - practice has improved my scores substantially more than headsizing.

For finding the best head size, I will head size 50 or so in a specific batch to check for size/consistency. If both are those check the box I'll just load up on that batch. It saves a lot of time. I've found that the HN Barracuda and JSB King Heavy (.25) are pretty consistent in regards to head size. Talking to a lot of consistent podium finishers and a lot of them do something along these lines.

That's what I do. Your mileage may vary. Sure a lot of guys will disagree but I've had a fair degree of success with that method.

I don’t do anything….just shoot from the tin. I’ve won a thing or two.

I can also tell you that Jeffrey Hernández (2022 EBR Pro ,2021 sportsman winner and highest ever scorer) doesn’t head size, either. He weighed his pellets this year. I doubt that did anything for him, though.

Mike

i think if i wash / sort / weigh / and head size and roll test then i know all my pellets for that day are the same meaning the ballistics are the same for conditions that day . am i right or wrong ?? i do not know but it would take way to much note taking of every shot to confirm or deny.

Edit : i think roll testing has the best chance as then if carefully done the head size and skirt size are the same on all pellets

Last edited:
Reactions: dgeesaman
IMHO, everyone sorts in one way or another. You may not wash, weigh, size or roll, but you sort…
You look at the pellets as you load them, and SORT out any deformed or unusual ones.
You buy “good lots” of pellets when you find a tin that shoots “better” than the average tin, and buy those good lots by the case - a form of sorting….
So yes, everyone that competes or shoots for score sorts in one fashion or another….
As far as head sizing I found it beneficial with .22 RDMs since tins have from 5.48 to 5.56 in “poor” lots. For .25 Heavy and .30 caliber pellets I haven’t found it necessary and only sort by weight like Jeffery Hernandez (2022 EBR winner).and Nicolay Boldov (2nd place 2022 EBR).
It would be hard to find a shooter that shot in the EBR 100Y finals that doesn’t sort… anyone, anyone, Bueller, anyone???
Update: a recent post that shows very good short range groups with “pellets straight from the tin” also mentions that these were not his “best” pellets. If not sorting in one way or another, how would a shooter know which are his “best” pellets? Things that make you go hmmm… and even more indication that everyone sorts.

Last edited:
The OPs question was how many guys use a head sizer like the pellet gage….not how many guys “sort” by the all encompassing definition of “sorting”.

I’m certain it’s clear to anyone that taking each pellet individually and trying to assess its head size with a pellet gage is not the same thing as deciding to not shoot pellets that came in a heavily dented tin.

Mike

I have shot both washed and sorted (by weight) pellets and also straight out of the tin. I can't see any difference, but I am not the best shooter in the game.

One thing I do believe, though, is that if you honestly think sorting makes you shoot better, it might. If you honestly thing it makes a difference and you don't do it you WILL shoot worse. If testing both options, you have to stay objective and test over a long run, not just a few targets.

--Jim

Reactions: Centercut
The poorer the quality of the pellets one starts with, the more opportunity there is to improve groups by some sorting regimen.

The higher one's expectations are for printing the tiniest of groups, the less opportunity there is to devise a sorting regimen that will reliably improve what are already good quality pellets.

Lately I have been sorting my pellets into 10's and X's with an occasional 9 thrown in for modesty.....

Oh, I get it. You are sorting BEFORE you shoot'em. That's kinda like looking in the horoscope for your lucky lotto numbers. Those that believe will always believe.

S'ok with me. You do you, and I will do me.
Shoot'em as good as you believe you can.

The OPs question was how many guys use a head sizer like the pellet gage….not how many guys “sort” by the all encompassing definition of “sorting”.

I’m certain it’s clear to anyone that taking each pellet individually and trying to assess its head size with a pellet gage is not the same thing as deciding to not shoot pellets that came in a heavily dented tin.

Mike
yes i use pelletsizer

I tried like crazy and never could get repeatable results, in fact the best groups I’ve done were straight out of the tin so I stopped doing that. If you find a good batch, know how and when to clean your barrel and aim up/down depending on the wind, you won’t get flyers if the rifle is properly built. Once I understood that, I’m happier, have a better understanding of my shots and improved my scores

I have experimented extensively with headsizing. It is EXTREMELY time consuming (especially when combined with washing, inspecting, weighing, and lubing).

That being said, it certainly does make a difference. If you are looking for the absolute highest levels of precision, it is probably a good practice.

However, when I was headsizing (and doing the whole sorting process outlined above) for RMAC/EBR I noticed that I was spending substantially more time headsizing (specifically) than I was practicing. Hence I stuck to weighing (and depending on the pellet, washing and lubing). Shocker - practice has improved my scores substantially more than headsizing.

For finding the best head size, I will head size 50 or so in a specific batch to check for size/consistency. If both are those check the box I'll just load up on that batch. It saves a lot of time. I've found that the HN Barracuda and JSB King Heavy (.25) are pretty consistent in regards to head size. Talking to a lot of consistent podium finishers and a lot of them do something along these lines.

That's what I do. Your mileage may vary. Sure a lot of guys will disagree but I've had a fair degree of success with that method.
Not saying that sorting, weighing, washing, etc, etc, don't make a difference, but SHOOTING lead down range (as in practice) makes the most difference. Not only in accuracy/precision, but knowing if your projectiles are making the grade.

Not to mention it is a LOT more fun! (grin)

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I haven’t seen it mentioned for a while, but a while back there was frequent mention of “finding good lots of pellets” and then buying lots of them. What this tells me is not all tins of pellets are the same, some are better than others and even those totally against sorting search (sort) for the golden egg. My question is what do these shooters do with the pellets that don’t shoot as well as their “good lots?” So you would have competition type tins of pellets and testing/plinking tins?
Or am I totally wrong and it doesn’t matter, as long as the tin isn’t crushed they are all the same as some would have you believe? Inquiring minds want to know…. 🤪

Last edited: