Hit Pay Dirt in Maine....

Well, it is pretty known that the permissions I have in New Hampshire are on the lean side, so I opted to do some exploration out of state. With the help of asking around and google earth, I found some prospective sized places in Maine. I planned to make a full weekend of it, but the start of the trip put some kinks in that idea.

To start with, I broke out my little GSX pump. I have had the thing about a year. It has worked great and I used it to fill my 1.5 L bottle and the Uragan, never the Ranger. Well, maybe the bottle was too much for it over time. Last time I used it was probably before Xmas. I haven't taken the air guns out since before Xmas. I set everything up, turned the pump on using the same routine I always do and then opened the bottle and I get bleeding on the pump side. Turns out some where a back seal broke on the pump, or I am guessing it between usages. I have the warranty with it so I will contact Amazon about it. However, I think I am going to get a large bottle to use as a main and the new pump as a back up. Living in an apartment limits some pump options.

Next obstacle was my client's who I am supporting put up some road blocks and my half day off, well lets put it this way I pulled over at least 3 times on the way to Freeport Maine to take care of IT / Database stuff. (database is a POS). Anyways, I got a score at the Patagonia outlet and Fjern Ravn.

This morning I woke up and headed NW and explored some of my prospects. My first stop was Dunkin' Donuts with 2 dozen donuts. I went to the first prospect and approached one of the workers, he said the boss was away, but come back at about 3.00 pm. I gave my thanks and said I would return then. I explored some more, had some great broccoli and cheddar soup for lunch. Potentially I have 3 large dairies now :D here in Maine. At one of the prospects I gave the other dozen donuts as a shoe in the door.

After lunch I headed to the dairy and found the owner and he was more than happy to let me on. The pigeons were at at least 5 times thicker than I thought they would be, and even for pigeons dumb with no fear of the human. I parked and broke out the Ranger....then the second road block hit, I rushed myself and didn't take time to check my zero, bad mistake minus 12 for 12. I checked the zero and it was off by a foot at a 25 yards. and I couldn't bring it back to zero. (Calling Vector USA Monday). Fortunately I had my brand new never used Tikka T1x with me, so I yanked the Athlon on I had on It off and put it on my Ranger. A couple of shots it was on zero.

IMG_3195.jpeg

Okay, I won't say I am or is the most amazing shooter. However, with the Ranger, it holds true as long as the scope does out to 50 yards. I took at least 22 pigeons within 1 hour. It would have been higher if it wasn't for the Vector being a little poop. Half of the pigeons I could not recover because they were stuck on the roof, and out of the corner of my eye I saw a hawk fly off with one of them.

IMG_3201.jpeg

IMG_3197.jpeg

The dairy probably has 300 to 400 head of cattle. Very good condition and the owner is very friendly.

IMG_3206.jpeg

The dairyman told me that hawks get a few pigeons per day, Trust me they have a buffet here for sure, I barely put a dent in the population. I couldn't have had more but too lazy to shoot over the manure piles. The signs of the hawks is clear though.
IMG_3204.jpeg

The countryside around the dairy is gorgeous and as I was disposing of the 12 (found another kill I missed) pigeons that I could recover I took a moment to take it in and saw some wild turkeys to close the evening out.

IMG_3199.jpeg
IMG_3208.jpeg

The dairyman invited me back, and next trip I plan to get more donuts and head back to those other dairies because they are FULL of pigeons and starlings and sparrows. Plus my foot is in the door with the biggest guy around (based off what I saw today) and so name dropping should be easy. Yes, hour and half drive, but for sure damn worth it.

Thanks @L.Leon I also forgot to say that I stopped at Birchwood Brewery for a pint and a steak quesadilla after the shoot before heading back to my hotel near Portland. Pretty good beer and food at the brewery while they played country music, definitely, Boston foofoo up here, THANK GOD!!! I will head for a hike in the morning before heading back to NH.
IMG_3214.jpeg

@Ezana4CE well, I consider it like building relationships and offering donuts as an intro regardless if yes and no helps. $25 bucks in donuts $12.50 paid off and though 2 hrs away it is a besting dream area. The other locations I am sure I will get too and the birds are totally clueless. Next time I go up I will do a video, so first weekend of April.

Reactions: jdanvers
Good on you @Blackpaw . I've got a couple of places that I've been watching here in central upstate NY ( south of Syracuse . . . 'ish ) that appear to potentially have "bird issues". I've already got four very happy farmers who have point blank told me to keep coming around. All of their properties were pretty heavily infested when I first started clearing them a year, maybe year and a half ago, but as of the last 6 months or so . . . . very quiet. I literally asked the property owners "... so I'm a little concerned that maybe I did TOO good a job here - there ain't hardly no more pigeons . . ." As mentioned - they all laughed and told me to keep coming back. Don't stop coming. While that put a smile on my face and made me feel appreciated - frankly - I need some new properties. <grin> So yeah -- good for you!! ;-)

Reactions: RM.510bigbore