• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Tuning Hill's Airgun Performance Kits for Armada .22 ?

I have been talking to Tim at Hill's Airguns about modifications to an Armada .22, raising the FPS to 900+... and get rid of the PING that is driving crazy !

I have been told that his products are high quality and I can't go wrong with getting his parts to modify my Airgun.

I feel by getting Tim to do the complete job, using all his parts will allow the gun to work better, I am leaning towards having him do the work.

Any comments 

If you have the cash and no looking back I say go for it because you only live once and I won't feel bad spending as much as I did for mine that's my most powerful 22 Armada- Marauder so I had to turn it down some (BROS gotta stick together). His products are first rate and even TOM HOLLAND (NOT Spiderman) who really knows his stuff would agree. 

Others may say to buy another more appropriate power delivering gun but it's your money. If I had their thinking I would buy a Hatsan Flash or AT44 long (preferably Tactical) rifle or a Kral Puncher series or Benjamin Cayden, Kratos or Akela.

Much of what I built my Marauder with was Hill parts (hammer, valve, transfer port tube), and they have proven to be solid products. 

Keep in mind that if you are pursuing the 900 plus FPS range, your choice of pellets are critical. Many out there lose accuracy once

they are pushed past about 850 feet per second. 

They goals on my build were different. Over 40 shots at 40 FPE. This optimized it for hunting small game, and great target accuracy.

The Huma regulator helped keep my shot velocity variance under 1.8 percent.

I believe that Hill would be a good choice for you. Many good reports about his parts in the past. I played around with his valve for a while in my .25 Marauder and liked it. Attached are some tunes I did with the Hill valve and Hill gauge block only. I always wanted his peek poppet, but started messing with other parts, which are not available now, but the Hill still is. I found this pic from my past tunes. Hill's tune will probably be even better with the full matched Hill kit.

Hill Valve Tunes.1606143535.JPG

640517C7-2854-4FF0-88BF-72583C9217E1.1606150932.jpeg
I use the hill depinger and PEEK striker installed in the factory hammer to mitigate the noise in a marauder and an armada, both in .25 caliber. Very effective combination in dealing with the mechanical and tank noise. I use no hammer preload at all and the firing noise has to be heard to be believed. I’ve tried making a video but the sound is not accurately captured on video. It sounds like the armada has no air in it when fired. 
I have used the bottle brush method before and silicone tube method. While both are cheaper than the hill depinger, they both take up more airspace in the cylinder than the hill depinger does, which meant I was always losing at least one or two shots from my bell curve. With the .25 I only tune for 16 hunting shots, so losing any shots from that hurts my feelings.

My armada has the WAR valve from wicked air rifles which is no longer available I don’t think. Using that valve I am getting @850fps for 16 shots from 2000psi-1600psi!! (Hades pellets) Love the tune now and the lower fill pressure and VERY low mechanical noise. 
The armada is sporting the short shroud from Hill and a donnyfl ronin, green mountain .25 barrel from a gen 1marauder. My armada magazines have been fixed to insert and remove with one hand.....no pulling back the bolt to get the mags in/out. One day I hope someone other than JSAR makes aluminum air cylinders for it so I can buy one. 

+1 for Tim Hill. I have a .25 Marauder getting 30 shots on reg averaging 885fps. Not only that, it’s by far the quietest airgun I own. I don’t regret my decision to use his parts at all. Valve, valve spring, hammer (25gram), hammer spring 262, peek striker, 6 moderator, and the HFTP he makes. The only part I added that wasn’t from hill was my Huma Regulator.

The gun is accurate and dead silent. 

The only advise I would offer to the OP if you're planning on keeping the gun, then go for it. But if you think that you're going to sell it, the ROI on upgrading your Armada is going to bite you in the rear end.

Getting a full tune is great, but getting the parts and putting it together yourself to me is what makes the Mrod platform so enjoyable. Then you'll know your gun inside and out, and if ever anything goes wrong with it, can easily diagnose the problem and correct it.

Hello All,

Hope this Post finds everyone healthy.

I contacted Tim again, after what may have been considered too long of a waiting period, I needed a little time to get the price together both in my pocket and in my head. I ws going to do what he suggested as a full tune and he would set it up to work as we talk about and to shoot the 14.3 gr. pellets, which he said he tested ay 930 FPS with great repeatable shots.

To my surprise he responded fast and told me the price went up $80. I was disappointed to say the least, I had made up my mind, found the money and then to be told the rework now cost $80 more... more p!ssed than disappointed.

I don't understand why something that is sold for $80 less and nothing has changed in the kit or parts, and the price goes up.

I don't know Tim but found in our talking he appears to have integrity, he gets great reviews from everyone but I am fed up with the Covid price gouging thing. Tim may have a good reason for the increase, as I said, I don't know him, but I'm that disappointed to have the price go up with no added value.

Please understand, this is meant to have no disrespect to Tim, I am just p!ssed and venting.

Anyone have a comment on the Airgun Pro Shop out of TX ?

Thanks for listening, I am just sitting here, disappointed, reading a lot of info on other companies that do mods to the Armada.

My plans now are to do the work myself, thanks to bear air, he weaves an interesting path.

My plans for parts: Hill's Upgrade Kit,

Some new gaskets

Huma .25 XXL Regulator; Jeff, at Tierner Outdoors, stated to use the .30 Hatsan Regulator, he stated it is the same as the .25 XXL Armada Regulator, interesting,

Hill's /161 Transfer Port. (??? Archer has a .25 Transfer Port not sure which one ???)

Archer has a tool for the gauge opening so the O-Rings don't get damaged on install.

These are pretty set in cement, can't afford stone while upgrading ! LoL !