• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hill pump to fill gun - how long?

GAMMA

Jan 30, 2020
CT
Hi

im new to the forum and planning my first PCP rifle. Compressors seem complicated.

How long would it take a Hill Pump to fill a bottle gun like a AT Uragan? It’s something like 530cx and 4500psi.

alternatively, would a taipan veteran which has a smaller bottle and less pressure (I think it is only 250 bar) be an easier gun to fill?

thanks!

I charge my 480cc gun from 150-250 bar almost daily with a pump. Its not that bad. Im also 6’6” and 255lbs. Ive also charged it many times from empty. Using a pump will make you appreciate every shot for sure. Whats nice, is I can dial back to shoot 25gr pellets at 500fps for rats/mice/birds in the yard and its almost endless in shots. Ive yet to shoot enough to get below the reg and gone thru a couple tins. Then I can turn it up and shoot 34gr pellets at 980 and get 60 shots. So for me, I dont NEED a compressor but maybe someday. Point is, dont be afraid of the pump unless you handicapped in someway, or just cant afford one at the moment.

Idk what you mean by 530cx. Do you mean 530cc? Cause all airtube or bottle is rated by cc. I have a hill pump mk4, it was $269 when I bought it. Fill my marauder which only have 215cc. Tried me out. I also have a impact with 480cc. Trying to fill that much is a pain. Then I got the yong Heng. It's only $220 and it will fill all my guns in minutes with a flip of a switch. I would never go back to hand pumps.

you can get use to a hand pump,it takes a lot longer and it is much harder than filling a bicycle tube! Over a hundred pumps for your rifle.

I have no problem hand pumping,butt my PCPs do not have large air capacities ,I think it may be wise to rethink hand pumping for the rifle you speak of....time hand pumping =would take 10 minutes or so...you take rest breaks so as not to overheat the pump and your body.

FWIW I hand pump 99% of the time. I work out a lot use it as a arm and peck work out but if I were going to tell a new person to use a hand pump stick to guns with under 300cc air tanks. As you see what it’s like.If your shooting a gun that will chew up ammo your pump will retain heat by the time your air is shot out and back to pumping now pump is hot will take a while to cool. It’s not that bad it’s a work out for sure, not for high volume plinking. In my opinion. Oh and another trick that works for me is don’t count your strokes makes it seem quicker when you do other things while pumping . I’m 5,5 at 180 I easily achieve 250bar on my Edguns but like I said I like working out so I enjoy the hand pump I saw a vid on line where a guy was hand pumping his 90ci buddy bottle I think he said 740 strokes yikes lol but yet I’m thinking of getting one too🤔 

I have filled a 500cc 300 bar bottle with a pump many times. Starting from empty it takes several sessions of 100 strokes with time to let the pump cool between sessions. I am 67 and it is about all I can do to fill that 500cc bottle from empty in basically a hour or so of pumping. So ... That should clue you on how hard it is to fill one from empty. I have the regulator set around 120 bar. It takes about 300 - 400 strokes to top the bottle off once it drops off reg. Probably half an hour of pumping with breaks. That said a small bottle like on the Stormrider is pretty easy to top off in one session on the pump but now I have a small portable compressor. Very nice.

Thanks for all the info guys. What a great community!

It sounds like waiting for the pump to cool would be a big time sink. I didn’t realize the refill process on a bottle gun would take a full hour...had been thinking 300 reps at a second a piece would take like 5 minutes!!! Glad I asked!

After reading about your experiences, I am leaning towards a compressor. Probably an F10 shoebox setup. Will consider a pump as a backup.