• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hill EC3000 crank oil

I love my Hill EC3000, but $10 for 50 ml of crank oil is a bit much.

Curiosity got the better of me. The Hill manual calls it H8000 oil. I found the Pennine Lubricant Company, located near Hill in Sheffield, England, sells an H8000 oil. https://www.penninelubricants.co.uk/product/ultracomp-h8000-fs-range/

Pennine Ultracomp H8000 FS compressor oils are a range of fully formulated synthetic lubricants based on polyalpha-olefin chemistry. They contain a balance of anti-wear, anti-oxidant and anti-corrosion additives to enhance performance and are zinc free. These products offer very low deposit forming tendencies ensuring that compressor internals are kept clean and free from sticky residues, excellent air release, anti-foam and rapid water separation properties, thereby improving filter life and reducing the cost of routine servicing.

I found a US company selling an H8000 oil that looks similar. https://filterproducts.com/products/fpc-comp-h8000/

FPC COMP H8000 is a synthetic compressor oil formulated from the highest quality polyalphaolefin (PAO) base oils with a superior proprietary additive package to achieve long life. This long life compressor lubricant provides significantly improved wear, oxidation and lubricity over the currently available H-1 food grade synthetic oils allowing the service life to increase by 50% to 100%. Dependent upon the rotary screw design, FPC COMP H8000 is able to give a service life of up to 8,000 service hours in good operating conditions.

Perhaps Hill's crank oil is equivalent to a USDA H1 rated, 8000 hour food grade compressor oil?

H1 food grade compressor oils are very expensive and highly engineered. Here's a good description of food grade oils. The 3 Tiers of Food Grade Lubrication – H1, H2, H3. Here's a comparison of the grades. H1 grades

Anyway, I do NOT recommend switching oils. Using a different oil probably voids the warranty. This may be why Hill colored the oil red. I'm posting this just for general interest.