• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Highlighting the indoor to outdoor Range

YOU SAID IT! Mine's just 30 yds but it is heated/air conditioned - 30ft in one direction is the fridge and 30ft the other is the compressor. Plus its well lite for night shooting when the wind is much calmer.

And never have to worry about forgetting something when going to the range. The amount I save in gas alone takes care of a big chunk of my airgun budget.

25 yards from the fence (with backstop) to inside a storage shed, sitting squeezed in between boxes and suitcases, chrono shot-ready all lined up, ice-cold coke in hand, bathroom around the corner.

Yeah, that beats driving an hour to my 100-yard cow corral, with the "bathroom" a mess of an outhouse, and the hour-long set-up required every time to get the range up and running.

Not even the cow patties and the cows' attacks on my shooting table can make up for the comforts of my 25y home range.

BUT, and here's the big but: The thrills of 100 yard shooting make it all worth it....! 😄

Matthias

PS: My 100y outdoors range is along a 12ft tall wall which gives a nice wind protection — not like an indoors range — for sure, but certainly better than an open field.

We have a nice,,,,, "shed" to shoot from, it is about 22 feet wide and 10 feet deep, but the one ( long ) side are still wide open, but there are plans to close it and install a wood burning oven too.

But for the prevailing winds here in Denmark ( westerly ) there are already okay shelter, and the roof have just been replaced, but much of it do flood with severe rain, but we make do for now, got more urgent things to do,,,,,,, and also shoot, that is if ever FX make the gun i ordered +5 months ago.

Indoors I shoot up to 15 yards from my garage door to the middle of my shop floor. That's fine for my pistols and low-end rifles (10/22 and 1077). 

When I want longer range, I pick up my pellet trap and take it out near the burn barrel. That gives me 42 yards from my shop door, which is situated in an inside corner where the house, shop, and garage meet. Even though I'm actually outdoors, the structures provide a decent wind break for a good bit out, and the prevailing wind is usually pretty straight downrange anyway.

Andy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roiFE05G67Y

indoorTrap.jpg
[/url][/img]

My basement give me 16.yards. Wish I had shoot44's 30 indoor yards. I concur with his comments about the advantages of indoor shooting. During covid I have done iron sight shooting OFFHAND.

It's holding my interest. Too short for scoped fun. I have ALL iron sight options in my collection. I shoot every day and standing/offhand skills are just great. So much fun!!!!!

I only WISH we had more rain! We don’t get so much, but as to a range, before retiring, I shot from inside my garage, out the back door into a trap against a wall of my house ,,, barely exceeded 10M. I drove often to the desert for shooting airgun and firearms

After I retired, I vowed to move out of town and get enough land to shoot on safely and without complaints. I bought 21 acres of raw hilly brushland an hour above San Diego, and moved there. I have a couple outdoor ranges and a nice 51yard underground range (not for wet weather, but to avoid wind so I could test for accuracy, and to stay out of the summer heat). I can, and have fired up to .458 Win mag both outdoors and underground.