• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

"HIGH" quality aftermarket barrels in their pcp's?

I don't have any myself but I am anxious to see the new American Air Arms design that they showed at EBR 2022 that sports a Lilja barrel.

If only I could buy a Bartlein, Krieger, Lilja, Brux etc. - chambered and threaded barrel for anywhere close to $300! More like $600+. You can get a Brux 24" stainless blank for $385 shipped. A Krieger blank is $405 plus shipping, Krieger prefit - chambered, threaded, crowned is $630 plus shipping.

@thammer aka Troy Hammer is a air gun guru who has developed his own special barrels. Here is a link to the discussion and he will machine the blank to your special needs.

Give him a try.

Lilja 3 groove 3/4 inch diameter .177 on this USFT. It WORKS!

IMG_2727.JPG

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2733.JPG

There was a considerable amount of customization done to this action. The trigger is the same as a typical USFT. The complete barrel mounting housing is custom. The lower tube is AZ built from titanium. It is dual regulated, and a bunch of other stuff as explained by Tim McMurray. It was built for Lindsay who was an outstanding competitor prior to her unfortunate and untimely passing. I never got to meet her but I wish I had, she definitely knew what she wanted and had great taste. The trigger is a single stage at about 4.5oz.
It may well be the most accurate .177 gun I have ever shot. I can't compare it to an original barrel since it was already setup this way when I got it.

There was a considerable amount of customization done to this action. The trigger is the same as a typical USFT. The complete barrel mounting housing is custom. The lower tube is AZ built from titanium. It is dual regulated, and a bunch of other stuff as explained by Tim McMurray. It was built for Lindsay who was an outstanding competitor prior to her unfortunate and untimely passing. I never got to meet her but I wish I had, she definitely knew what she wanted and had great taste. The trigger is a single stage at about 4.5oz.
It may well be the most accurate .177 gun I have ever shot. I can't compare it to an original barrel since it was already setup this way when I got it.

makes me want one (usft) more than b4 i saw this

I know that in my centerfire PB's over the years there never was factory barrel that shot as good as a high quality after market barrel even after doing extensive load development, glass bedding, etc.

After experiencing some stock rifles that I had re barreled that shot 3 times better with a new quality barrel Smithed onto rifles it's hard not to be interested!

So I can't get "this subject" out of my mind but my OP is more so out of curiosity how it turned out for others??

Thanks for the input guys.

Isn't Lilja a button rifled barrel? They must have that same buttom on hand still???

Bartlein has newer computer controlled rifling machines so I think they can do a barrel spec'd how the customer wants. Not sure on .177 but probably 20 cal and up.
I have a custom Pre-64 Win made in .270Wea with a Lilja barrel. Couldn`t ask for any better in regards to such caliber. However some companies master a specific area within a certain institution. Whether Lilja barrels will do good airgunbarrels I wouldn`t know. We don`t hear much about Lilja in the airgun community.

Reactions: steve123
It's not just a matter of finding a barrel from one of these custom makers and machining it to fit an airgun. For example, barrels made for 22 rimfire probably don't have the same bore diameter and rifling depth to suit airguns. I doubt that these guys want to tool up to make airgun barrels and market them without a lot of R&D to ensure they work.

Reactions: steve123
Yeah, you won't see too many airgunners with high-end barrels, because the typical airgunner isn't going to spend the money on one. There might be 1 out of a 1,000, but those other 999 are generally cheapskates that place identical value on a chinese CZ clone with a rusty bore as they would with a vetted A grade custom barrel.

It's just a totally different world than that of the precision firearm community.

@thammer aka Troy Hammer is a air gun guru who has developed his own special barrels. Here is a link to the discussion and he will machine the blank to your special needs.

Give him a try.

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm thinking about it but I'm concerned that I'll be buying a medium quality barrel that won't shoot any better than my more accurate pcp's. Aren't these just TJ's that he's spec'd??

Reactions: dgeesaman
I don't have any myself but I am anxious to see the new American Air Arms design that they showed at EBR 2022 that sports a Lilja barrel.

If only I could buy a Bartlein, Krieger, Lilja, Brux etc. - chambered and threaded barrel for anywhere close to $300! More like $600+. You can get a Brux 24" stainless blank for $385 shipped. A Krieger blank is $405 plus shipping, Krieger prefit - chambered, threaded, crowned is $630 plus shipping.

At least the airgun barrels will last indefinitely.

I went through 4 barrels for my 6x47L, ouch, that's a lot of money in barrels and gunsmithing! All high quality barrels and worst one was .8 moa at 100Y. The best barrel was .35 moa at 100Y.

Currently I have a $2700 airgun I bought new that doesn't shoot to my standards. The normal hunter guy would be fine with it but I'm not. It's either put some money into it or sell it???

Reactions: dgeesaman