High gloss stock finish option

My front door is south facing and the AZ sun has been eating it alive. I've tried a couple different products, none of which stopped the cracking and drying out. So a few weeks ago I did a deep dive on the internet for wood finishes...somehow ended up searching for wooden boat finishes. I figured classic wood yachts spend a considerable time under direct sun, gotta be something good to protect it right? Well that led me to...
Epifanes Clear Varnish https://a.co/d/au07CB6

NOT marketed as a gun stock finish but the first coat on the door sure got me thinking it could be an option.

Kinda hard to work with, but most decent wood finishes are, if you care about the results.

VERY glossy finish.

I'm 7 coats into the front door and it seems pretty tolerant to sanding and applying more over the top, so touching up the finish down the road on a gun stock seems feasible.

And yes, I had to try it on some gun related stuff. Here's one coat applied to the walnut wooden bits of a Vet chassis stock. 24hr cure time for this one coat so it's dry and not tacky, although the high gloss makes it look wet.
PXL_20240130_195121193.jpg

PXL_20240130_195028721.jpg

And what it looked like before the Epifanes....

PXL_20231119_071224268.jpg

High gloss isn't for everyone, but if you like the look, Epifanes is an option.

My front door is south facing and the AZ sun has been eating it alive. I've tried a couple different products, none of which stopped the cracking and drying out. So a few weeks ago I did a deep dive on the internet for wood finishes...somehow ended up searching for wooden boat finishes. I figured classic wood yachts spend a considerable time under direct sun, gotta be something good to protect it right? Well that led me to...
Epifanes Clear Varnish https://a.co/d/au07CB6

NOT marketed as a gun stock finish but the first coat on the door sure got me thinking it could be an option.

Kinda hard to work with, but most decent wood finishes are, if you care about the results.

VERY glossy finish.

I'm 7 coats into the front door and it seems pretty tolerant to sanding and applying more over the top, so touching up the finish down the road on a gun stock seems feasible.

And yes, I had to try it on some gun related stuff. Here's one coat applied to the walnut wooden bits of a Vet chassis stock. 24hr cure time for this one coat so it's dry and not tacky, although the high gloss makes it look wet.
View attachment 430441
View attachment 430440

And what it looked like before the Epifanes....

View attachment 430444

High gloss isn't for everyone, but if you like the look, Epifanes is an option.
The secret to a long lived varnished surface is to maintain it. It will still look great next year, but the surface coat has degraded thru UV exposure. Scuff lightly, and apply a top coat annually, and it will appear new indefinitely. Any dents into, or thru the film should be spot coated, then top coated along with the rest of the door. Epifanes is my varnish of choice. Looks great! John (retired wooden boatbuilder).

Reactions: Mr.H and Franklink