High expectations Re: Accuracy, A hypothetical

As someone mentioned previously, there are many variables.

What came as a surprise to me, years ago, was how critical the pellet is. I was used to, basically ,22 cal. rifles, with chosen ammo making little difference. I grabbed a bunch of different pellets and was shocked when some could barely hit the paper. I thought it was me, the gun, or whatever. When I concentrated on the pellet, things got a lot better.

My take away .... if one has the skill of shooting well, different guns can be shot very near "That Guns" potential in a short time period.

That "Guns potential" may very well be limited to Barrel & the projectile shot, trigger limitations, flexing action/stock, or sights/optics among many others.

If you know how to shoot well .. you generally do !!!

As long as I am shooting from a stable platform I can usually figure out if it’s me or the gun within a reasonable period of time. Not some fantastic shooter just been doing it a long time and I know my weaknesses.

Absolutely agree! I have done most of my testing in the mountains right off the windy Pacific Ocean from a crappy table, but after probably 1000+ sessions - I know when a rifle is or is not dialed in lol

I've only very recently started shooting at a proper range with solid concrete shooting platforms. The tradeoff is the shooting lanes are packed in tight, and I usually have a dude with a .308 on one side of me and 6.5CM with some crazy muzzle brake on the other side. 

not really .. alot of guns have problems and need work .. i would expect to have them sorted out as to which ones are decent within 2 mags each using the most common 'standard' ammo available .. more or less ... that said i dont need minute of angle accuracy for anything practical, the gun just needs to cooperate and not be spraying them randomly .. if it does its a pos .. if im trying to shoot some fancy gimmick ammo then yeah its my fault for being an idiot lol ...

First, I know my guns out shoot me. Second getting consistent results regardless airguns or not is all about methodically eliminating variables one by one and when it comes to airguns the 2 major factors are the shooter and wind. Without consistency from the shooter and wind it's very hard to say if the gun is accurate or not, without eliminating the wind factor and gun's consistency it is impossible to say if the shooter is accurate or not. Without appropriate approach chasing consistent accuracy is a wild goose chase. 

One thing is obvious in reading this thread. We all have our own “lens” when it comes to “looking” at what it takes for obtaining good accuracy. And, I like all the information, variety of opinions, different experiences; and most importantly—— the learning that comes with this!

Btw, had a tough day with my RAW today at 100 yards. Wind was up, had flags out and I totally sucked. Threw away 4 NUAH cards!