High end pcp

What are you looking to hunt. If squirrels and starlings then the air AA 510 is great. Of looking to take woodchucks, skunks, racoons. I would opt for .25 cal. I haven't owned a 510 but from everything I've read they are an amazing gun. They are a more mid power gun where most of my applications require a bit more fpe. You will not be disappointed.

I’ve had two AA .22’s. Lasers. Currently have a S500 for FT. Stacks pellets.
Gen 1 Mrod is a great gun. Have had a couple of those too. Hard to beat. 
It’s about another five Benjamin’s over the AA’s to get “better” but better is subjective. 
After a dozen or so “high end” airguns over the years, I purchased an RTI Prophet Plus in .22 two years ago. Fits and fills all my hunting, target and competitive needs. Power, shot count, perfect trigger and accuracy, it’s all there. I’ve had opportunities to buy something else but no need.

Good luck in your decision.

I'm looking to get my 1st high end paper for hunting and target practice. I'm looking at Air Arms s510 xs in 22 cal. I know there are other rifles out there but all I know is my Gen 1 mood. Thankyou in advance for any help.

I would definitely label the AA S510 as a high end airgun. Traditional hand assembled quality from a manufacturer who knows what they are doing, and cares about quality. High end materials, accuracy and reliability, smooth actions and great triggers.

They have carbine models if you need shorter & handier where you hunt.

To my mind although they are fine rifles/carbines, they give up a couple of things on some other brands. When I think of Air Arms, the first thing I think of is 'traditional.' Not a bad thing by any means as their traditions are quality, accuracy and care. But they need to be seen as beautiful, well designed and reliable tools. No real 'flash' or cutting-edge here as compared to some other brands.

To me tradition gets in the way a little bit with the AA fill adapter. Bit of a PITA to use, and I really don't see any reasonable safety benefit of it. But it can be changed over to a standard Foster QD male with the kit from bestfittings.co.uk

Lastly, I have very few rifles with air cylinders, preferring the shot count which comes from bottles. But many folks will accept that 'limitation' (especially hunters who often don't get the chance to take many shots on a hunt) for the traditional look and handling of a cylinder gun. I know that with the AA guns I have purchased, I have always chosen the ones which had the largest available air cylinder capacity. I really don't 'get' the new AA S510T Tactical (in its high power configuration) which is only going to give you 20-40 shots per fill.

Oh, and the AA magazine system is excellent (at least for pellets, which I shoot 99+% of the time).

I was hoping to find a good all around hunter and I see I will need to look at 25 cal models. Thankyou.

I have a S510 Ultimate Sporter in .25cal with the black soft touch stock. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet, but my initial impressions are very good. I also have an Impact MKII .25cal, so I do have something "good" to compare it to.

For squirrel and small game the AA s510 is fine. I agree with everyone here about the build quality and how it's a mid range kind of gun. Remember that these guns are built as 12 fpe guns and they are just tuned up for FAC and American power standards. This means they will have lower shot count than other modern airguns. I have to say the AA s510 is maybe my favorite air rifle ever but if it was going to be my primary hunting gun I would get a more powerful gun. If your just getting it in 177 though it's hard to beat the AA s510. You will have plenty of shots for hunting and be able to push any pellet up to 800 or 900 fps. I will never get an AA in 25 cal because of the shot count and power just isn't there for me and I generally prefer a bit more power in a 22 hunting rifle but the 177 is perfect IMO. Good luck to you. I don't think you will regret getting the AA just be aware of its limitations. 

I'm going to second the 177 as well. I have a large number of air rifles/pistols. I think I would be a good .20 caliber fan, but the ammo selection and supporting hardware (guns/barrels) isn't exactly there like the 22 or 177. I think a 25 aa will be a bit anemic. Plus I don't care for the ammo cost or suffering shot count. Not a lot of wind to contend with either where I am, so no one real need for larger calibers. 

I was hoping to find a good all around hunter and I see I will need to look at 25 cal models. Thankyou.

Not sure why you would come to this conclusion. The effectiveness on small game of .22 and .25 is very comparable. Your first choice of the AA S510 is a good one. Any of the rifles in this price range, offered by the major makers, will be good. It's largely a matter of personal preference. So my advice, don't be overly influenced by the preferences of others. Go with what suits you and be happy. 

Not sure why you would come to this conclusion. The effectiveness on small game of .22 and .25 is very comparable. Your first choice of the AA S510 is a good one. Any of the rifles in this price range, offered by the major makers, will be good. It's largely a matter of personal preference. So my advice, don't be overly influenced by the preferences of others. Go with what suits you and be happy. 

I whole heartily agree with elh0102 here. Number one.....a .22 calibre is more than enough for all manner of small game to be taken cleanly. Number two......a .25 will not offer you nearly the ammo selection that a .22 will and it will cost you more as well. All this without gaining you enough upside to offset the poor ammo selection and higher cost....my opinion here. Number three......don't be overly influenced by the opinions of others. If you fall into that trap, you will never be content with what you have. Like I said.......I agree with the advice that elh0102 gave you.

The AT Vulcan 3 700mm can give you over 270 shots above 45 fpe in .22

You can tune for less power and more shots or 80 fpe in .22 depending on what you're looking for.

It may cost $200 more than the 510 but I think it's way more gun.

I sold my impact to buy one in .30 and I'm very happy with it.

V31.1642366943.jpg
V32.1642366943.jpg

Hi Fglass 

I own s510 carbine walnut .177 12 fpe.It is great and i would rate it as high end PCP.For your needs i would go with carbine XS 22.

30 shoots at 30 fpe is more then enough.

If you wan't full length rifle you can also choose .25 cal which at 44 fpe is perfect power for 25gr jsb Kings od 26gr Hades pellets.

I am sure you would be happy with AA.

Regards Marko

I have had a Benjamin Marauder for a few years now. However, I decided that I wanted a higher end PCP. So I just purchased an Air Arms S510 Xtra in .22 cal. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet. But the craftsmanship and build quality of the S510 is definitely excellent. I'm looking forward to shooting it soon. Good luck.....

Fun days infront od you.

Would like to see some pics of your new s510.

Regards Marko