• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

High End PcP .22 vs .25

I can share my experiences although maybe not high end, but nevertheless it will give you my choice. We have an Iguana problem in South Florida. I grew up here. Never saw a one as a kid.. Fast forward 61 years.. So this is my thing. Between Jan and April Ive killed over a hundred just between my house and my two neighbors. Now I average 5-10 a week. I dont go on Iguana "hunts". I shoot them in our back yards before they can dig holes and lay more eggs. I use a Prod mostly. 22 cal. Head shots behind the eyes and lights out no matter if its a JSB diablo, Hades, Predators..doesnt matter. In fact, a .177 bb to the brain of an Iguana and its over. Now, my plan was to have better opportunity for a kill on those less than perfect shots by going with a .25 so I purchased an NP-03 in .25 from New England Airguns. Get it sighted in, moderator added and it shoots wonderful using JSB Hades 26gr..First outing with it and pop..less than perfect shot. Guess what? Yup, no difference. Just a bigger hole and they run away..not before another 1 or 2 "less than perfect shots"(probably to die but again. Im trying to be as humane as possible). My Prod is tuned to shoot in the low 700's and I use 16gr JSB's. The Kral's power is turned down to be in the high 600's using 26gr Hades. Roughly 10 fpe difference. But heres the kicker. Most shots go out the other side anyways. So, I really havent accomplished much in the long run. Accuracy will win this contest any day of the week. My next move will be a "high end" in .22 and practice, practice.

Hey baassman,

new to agn and it won't let me pm you..... What did you do to your np03 to shoot hades at high 600's? Mine is stock (.25) and I am getting an average of 596 FPS with hades.

Thanks

It seems to me when considering 25 or 30 at least 3 thoughts I have. 

1. Why would you want the 30 over 25? Does the 30 actually provide that much more energy on your target, depending on the airgun you choose as well as ammo. 

2. With the availability of different ammo, mostly different weights of slugs, will your choice be able to shoot the heavier weights and will it make any foot lbs energy difference. Is the ammo you intend to shoot always available and what backup options will you have? In 22 and 25 there's a lot of choices... 

3. With 22 and 25 on a high end airgun which permits some level of tuning, it seems the 22 and 25 can fly flatter than a 30 most of the time. That may matter for you. 

Overall, I'd take a 30 if you're shooting something like raccoons a lot or even possums and Coyotes. 

In my opinion the .25 can do what the .22 does and potentially deliver more energy if needed albeit for a little more air and money.

For a larger than rodent type animal I would prefer the .25. What makes the higher end and newer PCPs really stand out is the

2 "regulator" system and ability to adjust speed on the fly which in turn adjusts energy. Most all PCPs have an adjustable hammer but require tools

and a table to make the adjustment on many of them. 

In the world of PCPs I think .22 and .25 are the first choices one should consider. Then consider what you want to shoot at and the cost difference as well as going for hole in hole accuracy or are touching holes going to satisfy you. From what I see all higher end seem to have great accuracy. The pellet and barrel prep are what I am seeing set things apart in the accuracy department. Then consider the energy differences between the PCP you wish to buy in both calibers and how adjustable or not it is.

For me the cost difference and shot count is not enough to justify buying PCPs in .22. All of mine are in .25 with exception to a big bore in .357 and I am trying to keep it that way for sake of keeping things easy in the ammo department.