• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

High Dollar Compressor vs Chinese Compressors - to buy or not to buy . . .

... comparing a plastic Crosman $60 air rifle from Walmart to an Air Arms, Daystate, or FX ...

Interesting analogy …

It so happens that I have a cheap plastic Alecto multi-pump pistol and an Air Arms FTP900 which is ( at less once was ) Air Arms’s most expensive PCP. The Alecto has been trouble free so far but the Air Arms came with severe leakage at the filling port. I fixed it and thought that I would be happy ever after but after just about 20 shots, one of the sear elements that looked very well made, snapped : (

1556190753_20109530075cc196216d38e1.93541561_broken parts 1 low resolution.jpg

However, I won’t jump to the conclusion that Air Arms is crap just because of this single experience. I have their Prosport springer which is such a great performer that I don't think I will let it go until I quit this hobby. 

Going back to the subject of the thread, the fact that there has been some bad reports about Yong Heng does not necessarily indicate that they are craps. As the little compressor is much more affordable, there are a lot more owners so hearing more reports about it is just something natural. There is this thread in the GTA forum asking Yong Heng owners to speak out their own experience , good or bad https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=141639.0 The OP may go to count the % of reports that are bad and make an informed decision.

One thing very true about Yong Heng is that if it fails, you will have to fix it by yourself. That means you have to be mechanically inclined and are prepared to spend time on it. For me that’s OK because parts are cheap and readily available. I have been spending time to fix my guns ( leaks, regulator creeps, etc ) so I don’t mind spending some time on the compressor although after owning it for about a year, there is no such need yet.

How often is a bargain really a bargain? I’d love to be able to compare these compressors side by side. I’ve got the Daystate 110 and I can’t tell you how much better it is compared to the cheaper units or how much better a $6000 scuba filler might be. 

Thats the rub. I can go test drive a cheap car and then go drive a mid priced car and then maybe a Porsche but you can’t with these compressors.

You have take a leap of faith.

To be honest with you I expected the Daystate to be a bit more then it is. BUT compared to what? I think it could be quicker and quieter but it certainly does what it needs to do. 

Would I be satisfied with the Chinese units. Very unlikely since I am not completely sold on the Daystate.

Buy the best you can afford. But it’s too bad we can’t do a test drive first . 

I am concerned about getting the best quality of air for my guns. And there again what do you really need . 

You have to take the advice of those on the forum you trust I guess. I’ve been told the Daystate is the one to buy SO I DID

IME you have 4 levels of compressors, choose whatever fits they all work, here is a small summary of my understanding on what we have now to choose.

1- 12V car compressors

Price Range: US$250-600

Pros: Lightweight, portable, usually oilless

Cons: Not made for filling SCBA bottles, for direct airgun

2- YongHeng Compressors (and like)

Price Range: US$200 - 500

Pros: Lightweight, portable, you can fill SCBA bottles, cost efective

Cons: Cooling System, noise, quality, durability, extra filters, warranty, DIY fix (if fails)

3- Omega, hatsan, air venturi ( full compressors)

Price Range: US$1000 - 2000

Pros: Made for PCP, usually they fill much faster than 2

Cons: heavy, noisy

4- Coltri (Daystate), Bauer, etc : (scuba compressors)

Price Range: US$2000 - 5000

Pros: Easy and fast fill, clean air, reliable, years or use

Cons: those are made for breathing air, something that PCP really do not need, but it will not harm. Since is for breathing air (human use) the standard on this compressors is higher than any, and is refleted in the price..

My 2 cents, hope this helps

Minor correction -- in all the research and comparisons I've done it looks like the LC-110/MCH-3 is very close to the MCH-6 without the final stage activated carbon filter to make human fume-free breathable air. It does produce moisture free air but I dunno that I'd want to breath it.

Regarding China being the country of origin -- I have no beef there. Where I do have a problem is a very clear market gap that exists that is being exploited for profit. The mark-up on some of the Chinese equipment is astounding and I start to become concerned when steps are taken by the resellers to be less than overt about the country of manufacture. I got burned for an $854 dollar purchase before moving into the LC-110. When you purchase a product that destroys itself in 30 days operating under conditions the dealer claims is supported -- and you're waiting 1+ month for a replacement -- and the dealer (AirForce) no longer returns your email regarding warranty replacement -- at what point was it a wise investment? When does the opportunity cost of waiting for a replacement, which in all liklihood will break in the same manner, while not enjoying the hobby offset the cost of a quality compressor task-engineered to support the duty cycle and load?

In my case, the E-Pump was carried a 90 day warranty. Compare that to the LC-110 which carries a 2 year warranty. Which is more likely to stand behind their product -- and why? Over on the dive shop forums there are folks with an MCH-6 that's 20+ years old that is alive and kicking. Good engineering and good design ensures product longevity. The offset gear head and gear rod on the AirForce E-Pump results in excessive lateral force above 280 bar which causes frame flex and frame twist -- which pops the gear collar and binds the machine. Is this quality engineered to withstand 4500 PSI pumping repeatedly? No. Is it marketed to pump to 4500 PSI? Yes.

All in all, get what makes you happy -- learn from your failures (if any) and share to help others. :)

Someone asked about safety -- the LC-110 has a teapot 4700 PSI blowoff made by Coltri in the event the autostop malfunctions. The electrical motor is correctly sized to the load and the belts and fan are protected by a cage.

I don't think the dialog is racist at all. It is a known fact that the Chinese Government supports international theft via reverse engineering products made in other countries and flooding the market with knock-off versions that lack the QC of the OEM. Nobody is putting down the culture or saying that Chinese people are less than any other ethic group.

With that said, if the QC with the Yeng Hong compressor is adequate, it would be hard to spend more for what amounts to be branding. Its a double-edge sword for sure. I have seen posts that suggest that the higher priced compressors fail too. I find it hard to make a purchasing decision without seeing a clear measurable that can be used to push me left or right. If price alone was the determination, the YHC is a clear choice. I appreciate the dialog for sure.

"get the best you can afford" usually goes a long way but anything can fail as has been noted. Seems many have had excellent service out of the Yong Heng (and AV/Lightning/Omega) compressors and others have had failures. The LC-110 seems like a very nice unit but it isn't the end all for everyone.

It seems the consumer level compressor market is new enough that there may not be long term results available for some time. Maybe MCCOULTER could do another excellent piece on how many of each type are owned and how many have failed.

The Shoebox compressors are very reliable and sell for $499.00.

And slow as molasses in January in Minnesota! :p

As far as saying those who say Chinese Chinese ....... is being racist. Nonsense!! It is not about people ... IT IS about quality work ethics, quality gear, quality supplies, quality metallurgy, standards based manufacturing, moral obligations to others intellectual property ....... These things are lacking with the Chinese material goods engine of today. The exact same thing happened with Japan following World War II. IN the 1960's made in Japan carried the same negative connotation as made in China does today. Now Made in Japan stands for all the things that spell QUALITY. China will get there IF they change their mindset from numbers produced to numbers of Quality items produced. Basically they are waging an economic cold war at present but that is for persons with a much higher pay grade than mine to worry about. IMHO!

Seems that the more expensive dive quality compressors should have less issues. They have been around much longer and should be proven designs. Great to have if one can afford them. The Daystate level compressors seemingly should be similar as they apparently are based on similar foundations. But many people report having excellent service from the Omega line of compressors and now the AV/Hatsan Lightning type compressors as well. Possibly more problems with those? Would seem logical. Still a good value and more than good enough for many people? Seems so. And the Yong Heng still tops off my 4500 psi tank just fine. All relative to ones situation and needs.

The Shoebox compressors are very reliable and sell for $499.00.

And slow as molasses in January in Minnesota! :p

As far as saying those who say Chinese Chinese ....... is being racist. Nonsense!! It is not about people ... IT IS about quality work ethics, quality gear, quality supplies, quality metallurgy, standards based manufacturing, moral obligations to others intellectual property ....... These things are lacking with the Chinese material goods engine of today. The exact same thing happened with Japan following World War II. IN the 1960's made in Japan carried the same negative connotation as made in China does today. Now Made in Japan stands for all the things that spell QUALITY. China will get there IF they change their mindset from numbers produced to numbers of Quality items produced. Basically they are waging an economic cold war at present but that is for persons with a much higher pay grade than mine to worry about. IMHO!

You have repetitively mentioned quality but you missed an important point : CHOICES. For budget compressors, the shoe box is the only choice in the market made by people you have no probIem about. There are no other choices until the Yong Heng and those12V compressors come along, all Chinese made.

Is the shoe box for me ? definitely no for the reason you have said. I have been using hand pump to fill my rifles but after I have got the Huben K1, hand pump is just not an option. I am just shooting occasionally so a Daystate or alike is hard to justify although I can afford it. Yong Heng is not top quality gear for sure but it fillfulls all my needs. 

Regarding othe accusations such as work ethics, intellectual property.... I simple cannot see the relevancy to the topic . Does the maker of Yong Heng steal the others' design ? 

You may not be racist but certainly biased. 

If I only had the money for a Youg Heng and my other choice is a hand pump. I’ll go for the Yong Heng. As I’ve said I have a Carette which is made in China but it is belt driven which makes it more reliable I paid about $1600 including the Alpha filter. A lot of the yong heng people skimp on getting a quality cartridge moister removing filter which can cost as much as a cheap compressor they don’t realize the damage from moisture getting into their guns and tanks can me severe and dangerous. As far as the Shoebox and Altaros booster compressor go they are not a bad choice if you have a good shop compressor to mate with it. Most people I’ve seen with one undersized the compressor so it makes a racket running constantly during the 6 hours to fill a tank. When my Carette goes I would probably consider a Daystate but if it lasts 10 years I’ll be happy. 

To everyone with a compressor cheap or expensive do the proper maintenance and use quality oil, remember if the internals in the compressor overheat it will weaken the compressor metal components and when they loose the tight tolerances it won’t work well and they are a pain to fix. 

A major consideration for me was time. 

What is your time worth? My time is valuable to me, I don't want to waste it messing around with a finicky compressor when I'd rather be shooting.

I don't want to be sending in my $2000 rifles in to be repaired because of crappy air I fed them.

I don't want to wait forever to fill my tanks.

My free time is very very valuable to me, and I'd rather be shooting.

HPA compressors are very highly stressed machines. They get hot and heat kills. I'd like to know where all these machines are manufactured, including the high dollar ones. Chances are most are made in China. Purchasing a high dollar compressor won't guarantee that it will be bullet proof for years of operation. My $2000 brand "O" crapped out after 17 hours of operation. That certainly is unsatisfactory. If it was 200 hours, I wouldn't have felt so bad. When you buy these, chances are the dealer and or service center is on the other side of the country, so, if you aren't that mechanically inclined, you have to ship back to the dealer. These things are HEAVY and they cost big $$ to ship. If it's beyond warranty, the repair cost can be several hundred dollars. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced to take a chance on a cheap Chinese compressor. If it fails, then use it for a fishing sinker and buy another. These things can be a money pit. The airgun industry needs to take a look at this and design a reasonably priced (less than $1000) durable machine that is easily overhauled and comes with a worthwhile service manual. Chines made stuff is still questionable because they don't know how to make quality materials. Their steel and alloys are crap as are their O rings.