Hiding your scent

Wind direction is the single most important factor with scent. Some scent reduction does absolutely help. I use scent free laundry soap and it works great. Don't spend tons of money on hunting brands just get non perfumed laundry soap from your favorite brand. I use all. It's cheap and doesn't smell. Second there are some hunting clothing that claim to block scent and sprays to kill your scent I have no idea if they actually work or not. Honestly I can't tell the difference in the animals reactions to me so I can't recommend it. It may help but not to any huge margin. So I recommend staying up wind and using scent free detergent. Those 2 things make a significant difference. Everything else will only help in small margins if they help at all.

Reactions: beerthief
Don't smoke before or during the hunt
Thanks for your input on this but i noticed you above comment.
I met a old vet type guy at a gunshow and we were talking about hunting deers and he said smoking keeps his scent from deers(and other middle and small games) From photos and other pointers i deduced that he has been quite a successful hunter.

Thanks for your input on this but i noticed you above comment.
I met a old vet type guy at a gunshow and we were talking about hunting deers and he said smoking keeps his scent from deers(and other middle and small games) From photos and other pointers i deduced that he has been quite a successful hunter.
Well I suppose he could be right. If he is he's a first smoker who was also a hunter in my life who made that assertion. If the deer in a certain area are not accustomed to associating tobacco smoke or pot smoke for that matter with hunters then they might be attracted to it. You kind of have to think like a deer.

I wouldn't recommend it in most areas. I've had pretty good luck hunting deer myself over the years.

Reactions: Numb
The only "sure fire" method is having the wind (and thermals) in your favor. Period.

The rest may help here and there, but it's never a sure bet and never makes you invisible. Smoking your clothes just makes you smell like a smoky human.

Hit the woods right after work, pants and boots soaked in jet fuel and hydraulic fluid, and the shirt and hat weren't even clean. 10 yards, the deer never knew I was there. Play the wind and you got it.
PXL_20201018_224548199_2.jpg

Shower right before you go out if possible and run a ozone machine to treat your cloths and gear. Ozone is a game changer don't wast your money on that ozonic thing just get a 110 unit off of Amazon for about 100 bucks. Treat every thing you will have with you. Warning ozone will slowly ruin cloth, rubber, leather and is a deadly poision follow directions and do not breathe it.
Beautiful Hill there brother,

.............Yup the wind is your only friend.

The only "sure fire" method is having the wind (and thermals) in your favor. Period.

The rest may help here and there, but it's never a sure bet and never makes you invisible. Smoking your clothes just makes you smell like a smoky human.

Hit the woods right after work, pants and boots soaked in jet fuel and hydraulic fluid, and the shirt and hat weren't even clean. 10 yards, the deer never knew I was there. Play the wind and you got it.
View attachment 272201
Nice trad bow and archery, excellent work.

Reactions: thumper
I use to think the scent blocker was a gimmick.. but I used the soap, washed my clothes in it and used the spray on my way to the stand . I had 9 deer walk under my stand and never spook. I’ve heard of the campfire smoke trick but have not tried it. On the other hand.. peanut butter mixed with molasses, persimmon, acorn and beet powder with have them following you home.