Hiding serial number

Do you hide your serial (social security) number? Being in public view is a whole different game from broadcasting over the internet, where everything is open for scammers and thieves. What is on the internet is forever. Public view is for only as long as the bad guy can remember what he saw as you drive by.

Protect your info does self serve. You are a fool not to, because no one else will. 

Do you hide your serial (social security) number? Being in public view is a whole different game from broadcasting over the internet, where everything is open for scammers and thieves. What is on the internet is forever. Public view is for only as long as the bad guy can remember what he saw as you drive by.

Protect your info does self serve. You are a fool not to, because no one else will.

A gun serial number isnt the same as a ssn. Ssn is private information and only the owner is allow to know. A gun serial number is not private as the dealer or anyone can know it. Like someone mentioned above. A gun serial number is more like a license plate. Anyone can walk up to your car and see your license plate. But when online we like to hide it. Same with a gun serial number. People just dont want to show it doesnt necessary means scammers. Just cause you know my gun serial number dont mean you own it. Same as I know your car license plate I dont own it or can do anything about it.

It's not necessarily to protect "personal information," but rather to prevent unscrupulous people on the internet from potentially making warranty claims/RMAs using the serial number of your item, whatever that may be, and potentially being able to benefit from that. Or even worse, they may be able to register the product with the company in their own name if you haven't already done so. Those things can get sorted out, but it could certainly be a headache for the actual owner.

Not as common these days as it used to be, but protecting ANY identifiable/unique info on the internet is always a good thing.

Some buyers do like to know the serial numbers so they can determine things like date and place of manufacture. Nothing wrong with that, and somewhat common. Just have them PM you for the S/N if they are a serious buyer, that way the S/N only goes directly to a few select people instead of being broadcast to the whole of the internet forever.

a serial number of ANYTHING, a license plate number, your SSN, may be used to trace back to persons ID and location. contrary to law and popular belief, is not really PRIVATE.

my original SS card had "Not to be used for ID" stamped on it...they no longer have that stamping.

why do you think firearms are serialized?

do you have serial numbers of your airguns and/or firearms recorded in case of loss or theft? how else would you be able to prove they're yours?

It might be something that follows with this generation. Remember, a lot of people are running copies of Windows that they got by stealing a serial number from a laptop or from some picture on line.

It doesn't really matter either way, does it? If a person chooses to keep that sort of information private they most certainly have that right. If they don't, well they have that right as well, don't they?

Really, who cares?

There is of course another reason to hide a serial number, you don't want someone to know you are in possession of that particular item. IOW a stolen piece of property being resold. I am NOT accusing anyone of anything.