• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hide Member!

It's a godsend or a bad or idea or just neutral, depending on the forum environment.

Godsend: Forum permits or encourages trolls, sometimes to include moderators and special cliques. Or gets stalkers. Sometimes people get stalkers just because they're females, so ... it can be good to cut people off. Just one troll or stalker can do a LOT of damage to a forum. Also very good if someone gets under your skin and you don't want to be irritated or the irritating "that guy" who nobody likes or helps anymore. 

Bad Idea: Forum or subsection exists to discuss technical subjects in detail rather than chat etc., so missing posts leads to confusion and non sequitur responses

Neutral: Forum or subsections focus on casual chat, so if you miss something, you don't lose a lot.

I think a lot of assumptions are being made about this new feature. Perhaps a moderator or @Michael could elaborate for those above that are going to be using it.

1) does hiding a member only hide them on your end? 

2) does it block the person on the other end from seeing you?

3) can the hidden member still contact you by way of msg?

4) Does hiding a member prevent them from quoting you? Do they still see you and are they able to engage with your content like threads and so on?

Things to think about for those using it:

You will probably see disjointed conversations and, when compounded, a very weird experience for your augmented space.

Also, all quoted material will still be visible unless I am mistaken.

And threads you originated that are populated by the hidden member are probably going to be difficult to understand.

———————

Just some things that popped into my head that need clarification. Though I think the number one thing that needs clarifying is whether or not hiding a member causes both parties to not see each other or whether it only augments one person’s reality...

As for me, I won’t be using it obviously, but I want to facilitate this topic a bit.

On other forums I've only opted to use the Hide Member/IGNORE button a few times. Oddly one guy was intelligent but was affixed and convinced that his $300 rifle in 223R was the "end all - be all", for long range. Man he was incessant about it too. It didn't matter how many times myself and others disagreed and brought forth evidence to the contrary he was unrelenting, lol!!! 

Another guy was obviously extremely educated, wanted everyone to know it, and felt that he could never be wrong either. This can be so annoying!

Possibly the most epic personality ever on any forum, was a guy with the handle of "NOBODY". That guy was/is truly a genius with words! He was a total dick but he had immense knowledge about guns, hunting, and fishing. He made smart people look stupid so easily it was just amazing! I'm sure many people put him on "ignore" but he was such an interesting person I couldn't get myself to quit watching his posts. 

I find it entertaining seeing what the "goofballs" have to say, some of these guys are funny! 

QUOTED TEXT:

At Airgun Nation our community is diverse. If someone's opinion or unrelenting contributions (thanks for pointing that out YO) drives you absolutely bonkers, you now have the option to block contributions from that member. I don't expect many people to use it, but should the need arise… you have the option. 👍

-Michael

Michael – 

FYI, after I hid one member, it messed up my ability to go into my inbox and find the forum topics I'd started as well as my replies to other threads. When I go into INBOX>>FORUMS>>TOPICS STARTED (or REPLIES CREATED), it would bring back random results from other members but none of my own.

When I reversed the hide member function, everything returned to normal and I was able to find my topics/replies again.

Let me know if you can replicate the issue and, if so, how it can be fixed b/c with this bug, it doesn't make it feasible to use this otherwise useful feature.

Thx!

Yes, I can confirm that issue as well. The HIDE button works like magic - but it interferes with the user menu MY TOPIC and REPLIES CREATED buttons.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Hey Michael , still same issue , did you have a chance to look at it?

QUOTED TEXT:

At Airgun Nation our community is diverse. If someone's opinion or unrelenting contributions (thanks for pointing that out YO) drives you absolutely bonkers, you now have the option to block contributions from that member. I don't expect many people to use it, but should the need arise… you have the option. 
1f44d.svg

-Michael

Michael – 

FYI, after I hid one member, it messed up my ability to go into my inbox and find the forum topics I'd started as well as my replies to other threads. When I go into INBOX>>FORUMS>>TOPICS STARTED (or REPLIES CREATED), it would bring back random results from other members but none of my own.

When I reversed the hide member function, everything returned to normal and I was able to find my topics/replies again.

Let me know if you can replicate the issue and, if so, how it can be fixed b/c with this bug, it doesn't make it feasible to use this otherwise useful feature.

Thx!

Yes, I can confirm that issue as well. The HIDE button works like magic - but it interferes with the user menu MY TOPIC and REPLIES CREATED buttons.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Hey Michael , still same issue , did you have a chance to look at it?

@michael

I hope I haven't accidentally hit that icon. I didnt even realize it was there. there have been times I thought the forum didn't have a lot of activity. Maybe Im blocked from the world! 

But really I have seen something I may not agree with but then that same person comes up with something brilliant. Right Yo! Just kidding I know he can take a poke. Rather than hiding me I would prefer if someone PMed me and told me I was an annoying them. Maybe I had a bad day, and maybe I just can't get a thought across and sound stupid 

I hope I haven't accidentally hit that icon. I didnt even realize it was there. there have been times I thought the forum didn't have a lot of activity. Maybe Im blocked from the world! 

But really I have seen something I may not agree with but then that same person comes up with something brilliant. Right Yo! Just kidding I know he can take a poke. Rather than hiding me I would prefer if someone PMed me and told me I was an annoying them. Maybe I had a bad day, and maybe I just can't get a thought across and sound stupid

Good attitude, I feel the same.