HI, NEWBIE HERE NEED HELP!

I am looking at buying a .22 Crossman valiant for iguana contro l. I need something quiet that will give me an honest 800 fps with heavy lead. I have an RWS 34 that I love but it's too loud. I am sure there are reviews on the board, but I can't get the search engine to work beyond looking at user names.

So at the risk of being boring does anyone have experience with this rifle? I also looked at the Benjamin Rogue and the Gammos. All between $150 to $250. Noise is really my biggest factor, but I am price sensitive and not prepared to jump up to PCP. Someday, but not today. Any thoughts? I need quiet1" groups at 15 yards.

Thanks

FQ13

You are going to run into perpetual Catch22 on this one. Most quieter guns are more expensive, more power in a Springer usually means more noise, cheaper usually means you will suffer in accuracy and will be louder, and you will keep running in circles. 

How far are you looking to shoot? Why do you need 800fps? 

Accuracy and quiet will be your friend in your case. But, you would probably do better to do consider a PCP, probably. 

Good luck!

I bought it when the elder and smarter Bush was president. It's stamped made in West Germany. 😄 Seriously, after thirty years, and no maintenance beyond some pell gun oil on cleaning pellets it will still knock a tree rat out at thirty yards. It shoots a 14.3 at close to 800 fps. I love that gun, other than the noise. It has a one piece RWS scope mount and a Bushnell (circa 1990) 4x scope. It likes RWS hollow points and Crossman premire hollow points. Sub one inch rested (with artillery hold) all day long. Buy one, your grandkids will thank you.

Thanks, marflow. But legal issues aside.

Rule 1 never talk about fight club

Rule 2 never talk about rule one.😁

The noise from a spring piston is from the action, not the pellet, though, I may be wrong. New house with zero lot lines, and I have never had to deal with this before, with my neighbors so close. Any advise on how to quiet things down would be appreciated. I will follow your link and thanks!

Survivor 45

I feel I might have misled you a bit on this gun. Every good thing I said was true....BUT.... I will repeat... BUT!!!!! You need to break it in! Buy a five hundred round tin of pellets and shoot them with iron sights. Don't care where they go, just put about 100 down range. That should stop the diesling and break in the trigger and smooth out the cocking. After 100-200 rounds, then mount your optic and all will be right with the world. But on this, or any other springer, if you try to zero a scope right out of the box you will be frustrated and unhappy with your new toy. Just buy some cheap pellets, point it that away and play with the irons. Then get serious about zeroing. Also, if you shoot this indoors, or in the back yard, buy a good quality steel pellet trap, it will go through a wood back stop (don't ask). Just buy the pellet trap, it's cheaper than a lawyer!😂

Fq13

oh I totally get it. At this point I’m trying to educate myself on my next air rifle purchase. I have been shooting a new Hatsan Mdl 95 in .22 cal. For the last two months. So I am familiar with the break in period. I have just put close to 400, Crosman Premier 14.3 pellets through it. With a Vortex 4x7 scope It groups about 1 1/8” at 20 yards. I’ve take a few rats with it. One using “night vision”. I plan on tearing it down and giving a good cleaning. Perhaps a “ghetto tune”. Then once back together I’ll start shooting some H&N Field Target Trophy’s. All your input (and everyone else’s) helps for when I stumble across a great deal. Thank you 

Cool, I didn't mean to sound condecending, you just said you were new to air rifles, so sorry about telling you what you already knew. Also, at the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man (I'm only 49) Things were made better back then. Made in USA or made in West Germany meant exactly that. Not parts outsourced to China or Mexico. You got what you paid for and $150 to a college kid was big money in 1990. I didn't begrudge a penny.

And frankly, you give a German engineer money and tell him to make something that will kill stuff and look cool? You won't be dissapointed, just ask a Frenchman!😋 Seriously, RWS has great rep, but the rifles of thirty years ago, just like the Benjamin Sheridan .20 cal pumps were better. I can't vouch for the new stuff. I will tell you this. The RWs 34 new runs around $350. To buy mine, I would start the bidding at six bills. 

.......youre rt abou this newer stuff...........just like we used to complain "made in korea" (van halen II) or japan back in the 80's..................the model 34's and variants of that powerplant usualy do 680-740 fps with 14.3 grain pellets. they get really loud, harsh and kick when i tried to power them up with manuf (oem) parts....... if you want a true 800 fps (20 ftlbs) - which is where i like to be when dispatching critters , i would go with a .22 benjamin steel eagle.... they are quiet, parts are easy and cheap.... and those genereally shoot 780 fps - 830 with 14-15 grainers. triggers need a $15 ugrade from ebay ("lawyer triggers").... sometimes we can use our crosman 20% off code from this forum, and combine it with the day crosman.com has free shipping.... after all that, those things were just over $100 on black fri......... if you dont have more than just regular suburb backyard size ( 20-35 yards of shooting range), you'll go thru an older wooden privacy fence easily ............. if you are still debating, i can tell you my personal exp with LOts of diferrent airguns... -- i didnt like the valiant - that non-removeable, non adjustalbe barrel silencer bizness is too ong, and if its not accurate - gotta send it b ack to crosman..... or back to academy sports ( or whereever you got it).... if i can help, private message me. - paul. .

Yeah and amen. I get ( got) about 765 on a chrony with Crossman premires, but that was a few years ago. Lord knows now. Seriouly, if you want good knowledge on 1990s airguns, like the RWS or Crossman 2240 or the .20 Benjamin pumps, I am your guy but I am at sea with the new stuff.

I cannot afford PCP because I refuse to pay $200 for a bicycle pump on general principles and dropping big dollars on a tank that most dive shops won't refill (at least in my area) because I am not scuba certified is a non starter.

Break barrels are beautiful in their simplicity. Pull the barrel down, hold it correctly and shot a nickel sized group at thirty yards with enough power to kill small game. All you need is a rifle and pellets. No BS, no add ons, no dive shops. Just a few bills for the gun and $10 worth of pellets!💛 Airguns should be this easy.

I thank you for your post Paul please pm me. I need the help. I just want an affordable, quiet .22 whackintator that will let me kill three foot lizards at 15 to 30_yards. If it comes from pyramid air that is gravy because I have $140 store credit.

Thanks!

ROFL! Seriously though?

Silencers are class III stuff. Pay two bills on the tax stamp and it's legal. Don't and it's ten years in club fed. The odds of BATF showing up on your door over airguns are up there with getting eaten by a shark. Still...I am a libertarian for a reason and I don't want to annoy the feds. As to the fixed mounted moderators those are kosher. As long as it is not detachable and part of the barrel so you can not put it on another gun it is legal. As to Lcds you are in grey territory about whether an airgun is a fire arm or whether you can mount your LCD on a .22 pistol. I do not want to argue the toss, so I don't go there as I don't want to be big Leroy's cell block pony. Just sayin!😋

If you want a quiet Springer in .22, give the LGV a look. It’s going to cost you a bit more though. Here’s a previous post of mine. You can also add an LDC for even more quiet, no legal issues at all. 

1563395031_13169472895d2f83d7638955.54487372_7393E65B-0420-4103-B416-DDB5D9BEFAAA.jpeg

... that's impressive, intens.... i'm missing my .177 lgv master pro now... i'm wanting to try an under-lever , as heavy and expensive as they are , i need the experience. brad from the amer airgun classys was fed up with a .22 hatsan 200c. sent it to me for $50 - i fixed the trigger and got rid of it. ....o... put an old r1 spring in it. .... are you shooting from like a padded rest ? i have only a hand full that cloverleaf or better ( if took my blood-pressure meds) in the 28-40 yard range from bench. - paul. 

.......i prolly should p.m. about this lgv/lgu stuff more later....... but i found that the air tube in my .177 lgv with a (low quality thin, hollow plastic poop) stock they used - the inside is choked or it has a reducer inside the air chamber area. make the 30+mm dia tube into a 26mm gamo tube -- this a rough comparison. i contacted the guy that owns v-mach (i consider him the best tuner for guns like this). he had no plans for a power-tune kit for these lgv/lgu rigs in 2014........but i was HOPING SO HARD that the 800 fps velocity rating from walther would be somewhere closer to 20 ftlbs.... same 14-15 ftlbs in .22 cal that all other lgv/lgu rifles seem to get after breakin... but there's a lot more room for air to be slammed out of in those.... it'd be like making a v-mach kit , tho . . . - paul. ------- o --- i betcha the 16 gr h&n trophy pellets would do better, or even baracudas....or 5.53mm head size of field target trophy pellets.... spring piston guns - and especially german guns - love h&n pellets those must be not at retail anymore (aka beeman ram jet) 16 grainers, too... damn, when they gonna bring the good stuff back, intens ?? ... also, napier power hunter domes (not ugh domes, which looks like rws superdomes) are 15.5 grains..... and i still havent that 19 grain crosman domed pellet that was introduced this yr.. im blabbin ..gotta get back to work. ttyl. - paul.