• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hi all, just joined here. Help me pick my RWS model

CP1

Mar 10, 2019
NC
Hi all,

Just joined AGN. Looking at purchasing an RWS, just can't decide between the RWS Model 34, 48 or 54 in a .22

Main use is squirrel hunting and all around target and plinking fun. Once I have decided with your help and professional input on which RWS I'll then want the very best scope set-up for it.

Thanks all

Cp1, How do you plan to use gun. If shooting from rest the 54 would be hands down winner. Heavy, but when tuned right brain dead accurate. Mine like jsb 15.9 & 18.1 @ 22 fpe. Fun shooting to 100 yds and will smoke a lot of pcp's at that distance. Welcome aboard and good luck with your choice. Hint, don't sweat it to much because before long you will have many more.

Your intended uses for the purchase makes the choice simple. The model 34 .22 hands down. It is also the cheaper of the three you mention and can be found on sale often. My two are very accurate with quality HN pellets. My Vortex scope might not be the "very best" available, but it is spring gun tough. It has the best warranty in the business. I have two Vortex 4-12X Crossfire II's on the 34's. I am a half tin shy of 10,000 shots fired on one I bought about five months ago. It can be found for around $165.00 - $180.00 most places. How about a picture of one of them. I only shoot offhand and that 10" pan is 125 yards from my firing point. It is a plinking fun gun set up for sure.

1549058149_19820245615c54c0652d0b19.73679165_DSC02983.JPG

Thanks for all the replies so far guys. I expected different opinions and respect every one of them. Most shots I imagine will be without a rest. Am I understanding correctly that the 54 is more accurate than the 34?

Also, and I know this is very subjective and gun specific but what .22 pellet seems to be the "go-to" pellet for accuracy and squirrel elimination?

Thanks again guys

I own a D-54 and D-34, both in .22 and I feel that both are good quality, reliable air rifles but with different purposes.

As everyone has mentioned the D-54 is big and heavy but I'm 6'3" & 215# and in shape so toting a scoped D-54 around doesn't bother me. Mine is very accurate with JSB 15.9, JSB 18.1 and one type of H&N pellets that I'll have to look up. It does OK with Crosman Premiers and Ultramags. Not something you'd want to shoot offhand for hours. Very smooth shooting gun. It's fun watching your pellet in flight if the lighting/surroundings are right.

My D-34 is the synthetic T6 trigger model and is bone-stock. It's my barn gun with a rail on the side for lights and an inexpensive 3-9 scope on it. I shoot mostly wadcutters our of it to keep from poking holes in the metal roofs and siding I shoot in frequently. If I recall it's shooting a 14.3g pellet at about 700ish fps. It's a much twangier, violent shot cycle than the D-54 but is also 3-4# lighter. 

So, with just plinking, some informal target work and an occassional squirrel I'd probably go with a D-34 and have it tuned or do some work on it to smooth it out. 

Welcome...from another newbie! 

I'm not hunting squirrels, just killing them as pests in my yard, since they've starting doing damage to my suburban house. I bought a heavy AR (8.8 lbs + scope weight, about 10.5 together) and it's both good and difficult. The cocking effort on my purchase is 35 lbs, which is fine; but I wouldn't want more for extended shooting sessions (I'm practicing about 50 shots a day trying to work up to consistent targeting. My heavy gun makes it more difficult to target precisely when I can't use some sort of fulcrum; however, I'm killing varmints with it! I went from a 6 lb gun to one that's nearly 11--I'm 5'10" and 60 yo; it's doable just not optimal until I "grow" into it (or decide to buy a second, lighter gun).

If you're looking for a fixed barrel RWS, check out Airguns of Arizona for their special on the 430L (type that into the search bar). Super great price on an under lever; didn't see it until after I had made my purchase. 

Also, once you've joined this forum, there's a discount coupon that might be useful for your purchase. Be sure to look for it.

I've killed 18 squirrels in the last two months (and that's mostly on weekends since I work full time) with my .177 air rifle; so, I don't yet understand the need for a .22 pellet. Most of my shots are under 25 yards, many inside of 15 yds. (Okay, so are all of my misses, too). However, if the .177 is killing them, I suspect that the .22 will be even more effective. If you haven't bought yet and haven't invested in the various pellets, perhaps starting with the .22 will prove the better choice.

I took weeks to agonize over a decision because there's so many great choices. I'm convinced now that a quality break barrel will be as effective as a fixed barrel. Likewise, the more powerful, quality break barrels (though heavier) will shoot just as accurately as the higher priced (but lower weight) PCPs, though the PCP are often preferred over break barrels or fixed barrels for the longer ranges and heavier calibers. As others pointed out to me--get what you want! Enjoy. 

Arch_E

Hi guys,

Should I look at the Weihrauch's that would be comparable to the D-34 & 54 ?

Thanks

I would look at everything. Read as much as you can. Consider all the information available and then decide what YOU want. There are alot of great airguns available and some will work better for different types of shooting than others. Just don't let anyone tell you what is best for you. Only you can decide that. 

I agree with seven08. Hunting,plinking. I have an Xisco XS-25 SFB a clone of the 34 from Flying Dragon Air Rifles tuned by Mike Mellick and weighs 8lbs.Really fun to shoot and a challenge to learn how it liked to be handled and fed. And an XS46 underlever {Browning Leverage} which weighs 10 lbs. Also smoothed out by Mike Mellick. I would definately take my 34 clone over the under-lever if I'm on a walk and stalk.A light Hawke AirMax 2-7x 32 scope is all you'll need and won't look like overkill. Use a 1pc scope mount. If ya got the cash spring for a "Dampa Mount". welcome to the forum and good luck