• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hi, Airforce Condor suitable for rabbit shooting?

Hi all, first time poster here.

I live in New Zealand, where we have a huge rabbit population in the countryside and on farms. I've shot a few with my springer air rifle but very limited range and power to be honest. I'm looking at PCP air rifles, and can get an Airforce Condor in .22, love the look of it, and power.

BUT, is the Condor suitable for Rabbit shooting accurately up to say 80 yards or so? Or is it simply overkill? I want humane quick kills, not wounded animals.

Have seen a few videos where the guys have said they are not accurate, as deigned for bigger game? Or is this just incorrect?

Also, does the Condor have ANY recoil?

Appreciate your knowledge and certainly if anyone has experience with the Condor? I'm not concerned about the "old technology" and single shot, just after accurate power.

cheers all

I have a condor ss in .25 with the SS barrel and I also have the 24” .22cal barrel that’s been cut back and recrowned to about 23”....it now fits entirely inside the condor ss frame with a donnyfl adapter in place of the stock end cap. It’s slick. 
i have tuned it with the .25s to shoot NSA 38.5gr slugs. They are traveling 760ish fps if I remember correctly. I’ve gotten good use from it at 50yds on small game.
At 80 yards you’ll still have plenty of power with a .22 condor but you should first set up some targets to practice and see if you are able to connect at that distance and keep the group to a size that allows you to make head shots.
Rabbits are not a tough animal at all. In my experience they are at the bottom of the scale when it comes to power requirements. You can kill them easily with a slingshot. If you can hit the rabbits in the noggin at whatever distance.... it’s a dead rabbit. Unless you are hunting some monster rabbits I’d say you have plenty of rifle for it. 
If you aren’t married to the idea of the condor, You might consider a Marauder or one of the new Kratos, Cayden, or Akela. They are good small game hunting quality, and in addition they are multi-shot whereas you’ll be feeding the condor one pill at a time which is sometimes a pain in the butt when you are in the field. But im not trying in any way to suggest you not get the condor, but the others are worth a look also. 

Thanks guys,

I'm open to suggestions PCP wise, as I'm just looking currently, my issue is being in NZ I really have to buy what is here, as importing is really difficult I've heard. Plus in NZ you need a firearms licence to own one, which is now pretty strict and drawn out, I'm hoping mine will be arriving within 6 months or so.

The Kratos I love the look of, and if there was one in NZ I'd pretty much be buying it. The shop which has the Condor also has I "think" an FX Wildcat Mk2 which gets great reviews, but is a bullpup, have never held a bullpup. There has been a 2nd hand Marauder for sale on our big auction site here, but I'm not interested in .177, and the gun looks decidedly "old".

The Huben I doubt would be in NZ, and for your interest this secondhand Condor is $1500 and the secondhand Wildcat around $2200 NZ. Can get the Diana Outlaw for $1200 new here..but I just can't get past the made in China bit.

Also great to hear Rabbits are fairly easily dispatched, they are a pest but even pests deserve humane deaths.

Thanks, I'll spend some time browsing this site and certainly will learn a lot I think.

...what would Yo do...???...always ask yourself this...

...if you do not know.........ask Odoyle...

harpo-marx.jpg

...that said, will the reliability of the FX be an issue in NZ...?!?...they are complex systems with many fail points...

...I have an Escape, which is sort of a light version of the Condor, because of my stone age mentality...

...although crude compared to the FX it is reliable as a stone weapon...

...I have been impressed with it's accuracy since I bought it although I have not shot it @ 80 yards...

If condor is your choice then listen to Odoyle ...I have a condor ss with both 22 and 25 barrels and I always lean towards the 25 cal in that gun. I even thought of parting ways with the 22 barrel because it just collects dust .

...methinks he does not have a big choice/selection available to him...

...maybe that is why the Condor is for sale...???...

...but can you get pellet gun parts, say barrels, into NZ...???...

I have a CondorSS in .25. Would it be humane and quick? No doubt the bunny won't know what hit it. The term "overkill" is appropriate! But then again my .177 Marauder dropped the last two rabbits with one pellet to the head. Either way, dead is dead. 

But as someone that has been chasing a few around my yard all summer, my Condor would be my last choice off my rack. I'd recommend a multi-shot magazine. The single shot of an AirForce might not be good if you see a few out in the field at once. Or if you get a bad shot. It's not a quick load of a new pellet when compared to the speed of a lever. And I trust the accuracy of the Marauder much more, too. 

Airforce guns are a treat, for me. Easily adjustable, SIMPLE to disassemble and repair with minimal tools. I think their marketing as "utility" Airguns kind of is perfect- emphasis on usefulness and repairability. Easy to understand, strip down and reassemble. 

No delicate plastic parts, like only one o-ring or two to worry about, no weird probes with springs and little fidgety bits... there is basically nothing to break. I also love that the valve and bottle are a module that can be quickly swapped out as opposed to the valve and mechanism being built into a metal block or something. 

I have "gun money" and keep looking for a gun to buy, but really it's the simple mechanism single shots that appeal to me so I have invested in modifying my airforce guns instead. I take a look at some of these complex semiautomatic magazine-based technological wonders and i wish I had one to borrow but I am sure glad and I don't have to take one apart to try to fix some complex over-engineered mechanism. I feel like some of these air guns are like some German cars just really complex engineering that's not necessarily super functional, for someone who wants to maintain it themselves. 

If you are able to buy parts where you are that also makes the Air Force pkatforn a lot of fun because you can turn one body into several different performing guns with ease. 

I guess in a nutshell I would say if you don't mind the single shot, the condor should be great.