• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HFT UK version

I was just curious how many would do the HFT UK version in a match? I'm just getting started in AAFTA so I'm just asking. I doubt many would because a lot of folks can't shoot prone or get on the position very easily. I just like the simplicity of it and how I grew up shooting.

Thanks
Jon
I would if I could. I think UK HFT embraces some of the early ideals of Field Target and really went back to the roots of field target. It's not about equipment (read high magnification scopes). It's celebrates (relatively) low power precision shooting, field ranging and wind reading.

Having said all that, there's no way I can shoot prone. I tried. With my neck and back injury, I can barely raise my head to see 4 inches below the bottom of my butt stock. Wonder if they would let me shoot sitting?

I don't see the US embracing this type of shooting now or in the future . Right now it's about extreme FT. (high power, slug fest, longer distances...why? because we can)...LOL let the flaming begin.

Last edited:
I would if I could. I think UK HFT embraces some of the early ideals of Field Target and really went back to the roots of field target. It's not about equipment (read high magnification scopes). It's celebrates(relatively) low power precision shooting, field ranging and wind reading.

Having said all that, there's no way I can shoot prone. I tried. With my neck and back injury, I can barely raise my head to see 4 inches below the bottom of my butt stock. Wonder if they would let me shoot sitting?

I don't see the US embracing this type of shooting now or in the future . Right now it's about extreme FT. (high power, slug fest, longer distances...why? because we can)...LOL let the flaming begin.
I totally agree with you.

I think the UK HFT is evolving as well. A "sticks" division has been started at a number of matches. Not 100% on the rules but I believe they can shoot all lanes standing using a tripod. This accommodates all the people having issues shooting prone and keeps membership up.
I watched a video on YouTube where some of the guys were shooting with the sticks. I'm all for it. I just like the idea of just judging the distance and not touching your scope and knowing based on where your parallax is set and how the target is blurred to get an idea of the distance also. Then do your holdover or under based on that. It would be hard to learn all the tricks you need for good ranging and setting your scope up optimally for best use of your pellet flight path. Learning to judge kill zone sizes based on distances with the reticle. Lots of work but no different than what we do already for AAFTA. I've been playing with it some with my TX

Jon

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I would love to shoot HFT, but the course would have to be set up for it. Every course I've shot over the last few years has a number of targets that would not be visible from prone due to humps in the lanes. You would also need a peg on each lane.
I've thought about putting on an international HFT match, but I think I would be the only one there.
You would definitely have to work on the course setup and I think they limit the max distance to 45 and as close as 8. I would come if it was not an all day drive or if it was a GP 2 day type match to make the trip worth it.

Jon

@Arzrover set up a similar ft match at his place a few years ago. I don't remember all the details but the big one that sticks out in my mind was a 10x scope limit. Distances were given, but it was max 20fpe and max 55 yards. The ft match was the qualifier for finals, in which there were stages of increasing difficulty. The stages were things like tiny plastic safari animals, army men, paintballs, and eventually the last two shooters shot at the opening of a 1/2" conduit that curved around and hit an otherwise protected bell target. I think that final stage was at 55 yards. He had made that special target. Winner got to pick their prize and one of the choices was that cool bell target.

Anyway, it was very fun to all be using a max of 10x. Felt like a much more level playing field than when somebody has a scope that cost more than your gun+your scope+the clothes and shoes you're wearing+the value of the used vehicle you drove to the match.

@Arzrover set up a similar ft match at his place a few years ago. I don't remember all the details but the big one that sticks out in my mind was a 10x scope limit. Distances were given, but it was max 20fpe and max 55 yards. The ft match was the qualifier for finals, in which there were stages of increasing difficulty. The stages were things like tiny plastic safari animals, army men, paintballs, and eventually the last two shooters shot at the opening of a 1/2" conduit that curved around and hit an otherwise protected bell target. I think that final stage was at 55 yards. He had made that special target. Winner got to pick their prize and one of the choices was that cool bell target.

Anyway, it was very fun to all be using a max of 10x. Felt like a much more level playing field than when somebody has a scope that cost more than your gun+your scope+the clothes and shoes you're wearing+the value of the used vehicle you drove to the match.
That would be a fun match to go do for sure. I was talking to Joe from JD designs and I guess there's a match somewhere here in the states where in the open class you can only dial once per lane which is pretty cool. I think in Oregon they have a type of springer class that shoots with the pistols. Now I'm not saying hand everyone the exact same gun, or set up and let's shoot. I'm just saying there is such an equipment race in all shooting sports that the sport is based on your wallet nowadays. I shot PRS and they have different divisions one is open one is production and they limit the cost of the gun and scope. Now the cost has been raised some but it's still there. it has to be a factory made gun and scope under well in PRS Rimfire I think it was $1500 total. Now the add-ons to the rifle like scope level bipod muzzle brake suppressor wasn't a part of that total. But the gun had to be original as far as action and barrel . Then there was a class open that wasn't uncommon for guys to spend 6000 for a rifle and half that for scope. I just like shooting and some days I want all the gizmos and other days just my r9 in 20cal a tin of pellets and just go shoot. We have all done it and just had a blast. To me the UK HFT is kinda like that. BUT it's a equipment race in that division as well. I would love to do it once to see how I truly feel about it. Also, you have a max of 2 points per target-2 if you drop it,1 if you hit the target and as they call it a donut for a complete miss.

Jon

You know it could be something like in cowboy action shooting the side matches. Look where the wild Bunch group has ended up. In the first it was just a few guys that wanted to shoot 1911s and certain pump shotguns at the matches and now there's a division for that. You never know

Last edited: