• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Resources HFT range {Bracketing}. Pt 1

There have been several threads in the past few weeks/months concerning ranging targets in the Hunter Field Target division of AAFTA rules. The term “bracketing” often shows up and there have been a couple/three posters describe the techniques involved, sort of. I’m going to describe two different “bracketing” techniques demonstrating with photos I screenshot off of the Chairgun Elite app. Those two will be broken up into separate posts under this thread topic. I will also describe a third “bracketing” technique that does not involve measuring a fixed dimension but estimating distance between two distances, eg. 45 to 50 yards or 50 to 55 yards.

Having said all of that, let’s define bracketing for our purposes:
1 - Determine distance by placing an object of a known dimension between two or more marks also of a known dimension. (Most field target clubs mount the targets to a cinder block which we know is 7.625 inches square on the end. Some clubs utilize common size lumber such 2” x 8“ boards. Clamps are often used to secure the target which are not all uniform in dimension but you can measure a particular variety of clamp and keep a set of dope for that dimension.)

2 - Use data gathered from either parallax ranging a target with the scope focus or by using the known dimension technique above. Eg. - while ranging with parallax at 16x per the AAFTA HFT rules is often difficult, it is far easier to determine if a target is closer to 45 or 55 yards. I will describe this in more detail in a separate post.

The screenshots below, as I mentioned earlier, came from Chairgun Elite. I used that app because it is still available and supported. If you have Strelok, it would show the same dimensions and hold over values.

This first set of photos were captured while using the Sightron SIII 10-50x60 MOA-2 reticle at 16x. The zero for this set is 50 yards (for clarity), the scope is mounted 2” above the bore center line, the projectile is a JSB 10.3g being shot ts 915 fps and 19.15 fpe. You will notice that there are three MOA between the main marks at 16x. A 1.5” kill zone is 3 MOA at 50 yards.

The yellow square represents a common cinder block and the red circle is representative of a 1.5” kill zone. On my scope reticle, which I used here, a block is 15 MOA wide at 50 yards or 5 marks on the reticle. At 45y 5.5 marks and at 55 4.5 marks.

That, in a nutshell, is bracketing a known dimension block.

MATCH DIRECTORS KNOW THIS! Some of them will abscure the block with foliage, a feed sack, turn it side ways, etc. Never fear, in my next post in this thread I’ll give you plan B.

Art “Podna” Womack
Daystate Wolf Pack
IMG_0050.jpeg
IMG_0051.jpeg
IMG_0052.jpeg

Last edited:
@Podna , thank you for sharing.

Been shooting Hunter for the last year, and open for about 4 years prior to that, and Hunter for a year or so prior to that. In the last year I've been using one of the slowest legal pellets, the.20/13.73 @ about 800-805. So theoretically a slow pellet is where a misranged far targets would create more misses. The last year is obviously the most easily remembered but misses on long targets haven't been because I misranged, but rather because I misread the wind, usually holding for wind when I didn't need to.

In the last six years I've occasionally considered bracketing, but have always decided against it when I think back to the hit or miss frequency of visible cinder blocks in the matches I attend. And I understand that it doesn't always have to be a cinder block, but it DOES have to be something of reference. I've heard of guys having a little notebook with all the possibilities (width of a tpost or knowing the clubs targets well enough to have memorized kill zone sizes and using that to bracket), but man, there's only supposed to be about 5 minutes to sit down and take your shots, not 15minutes.

I guess I'd be willing to dive into bracketing if I felt like misranged targets were a frequent source of misses for me.

Certainly another arrow in the quiver I suppose.

Been shooting Hunter for the last year, and open for about 4 years prior to that, and Hunter for a year or so prior to that. In the last year I've been using one of the slowest legal pellets, the.20/13.73 @ about 800-805. So theoretically a slow pellet is where a misranged far targets would create more misses. The last year is obviously the most easily remembered but misses on long targets haven't been because I misranged, but rather because I misread the wind, usually holding for wind when I didn't need to.

In the last six years I've occasionally considered bracketing, but have always decided against it when I think back to the hit or miss frequency of visible cinder blocks in the matches I attend. And I understand that it doesn't always have to be a cinder block, but it DOES have to be something of reference. I've heard of guys having a little notebook with all the possibilities (width of a tpost or knowing the clubs targets well enough to have memorized kill zone sizes and using that to bracket), but man, there's only supposed to be about 5 minutes to sit down and take your shots, not 15minutes.

I guess I'd be willing to dive into bracketing if I felt like misranged targets were a frequent source of misses for me.

Franklink - bracketing is just another tool. There are a number of new shooters in the FT game that have probably seen it referred to on this and other forums and weren’t quite sure what it is. My purpose is to remove the mystery.
Instead of centering that block, move the left side over to the left side mil marker. From left to center is 50 yards. Easier for me to see the size difference that way.
c m shooter - yes, in the real world you would move the edge of the reticle to the edge of the block. Strelok and Chairgun Elite don’t have that functionality to move targets from left to right within the site picture. The point of this exercise is to see that there is enough difference that a determination of distance can be made using the reticle on an object of a known and consistent dimension.

My problem was trying to hold the gun steady enough to bracket precisely.
I didn't worry about any other distances under 45Y when first ranging with the side wheel.
But back then I'd use the KZ sizes to bracket on.
Basically another hassle to deal with but fun to try for a while.

Here are some Strelok snapshots as my contribution to the thread. Note that I'm using 30x in my examples. These are for my WFTF setup, bracketing isn't just for the Home Depot squad (because of the buckets :cool: ). Another couple of notes: when using Strelok, make sure that the scope is set to the correct calibration on the scope screen. My T50 was setup to use 50X as the calibration when it's actually calibrated at 25x. My hashes were way off in the reticle view until I changed it. Also, I use 30x to bracket on blocks because I run out of runway at 50x. Also, I shoot at 30x, so it works for me. I bracket the kill zones at 50x because it works better for a 1.5 inch hole. Remember that 45+ yards is going to be a 1.5" kill zone or more. The "or more" can be a killer if you run into a 1 3/4" kill zone and try to bracket it as a 1.5" kill zone. I prefer to bracket on blocks for this reason, but sometimes there is no block. I like to bracket the longer targets as confirmation, especially if the targets are in the shade or the scope is getting hot. It adds about 5 seconds per target, but I only do it maybe 5 or 6 times in a match. I certainly don't mind using 30 seconds in a 60 shot match to make sure my ranging is good.

For posterity, my block brackets with a Falcon T50+ set to 30x are 45 yards - 9.9 mil, 50 yards - 8.5 mil, 55 yards - 8mil. So I can look at a block at 30x and immediately confirm the yardage.

strelo.jpg

strelok2.jpg

So, as plainly stated in the thread name, @scotton, this is an HFT only club! You need to decide how you are going to identify. Are you HFT, Open, or WFTF? Piston or PCP? You and I can revert to @AirNGasman rule 5 at ROT this coming weekend!
I don’t get the joke, but there is no HFT in AAFTA field target. Though lately, the term “HFT” has been used more and more when referring to AAFTA Hunter Division. In AAFTA, it’s Hunter Division, Open Division, and WFTF Division. AAFTF WFTF uses WFTF shoot rules, but not WFTF course rules. AAFTA Hunter does not use HFT shoot rules or course rules. HFT is really something different, and existed before AAFTA came up with “Hunter” Division.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_Field_Target

Shooters in any Division of AAFTA can benefit from “bracketing”, though focus range finding can be used instead of, or in conjunction with bracketing. Because of the effectiveness of focus range finding with high power scopes out to 55yds, bracketing is probably less benefit to Open and WFTF. And since AAFTA Hunter switched up to 16x scopes, bracketing is not quite as beneficial as back when we were using 12x. I’ll still use it when a good target feature presents itself, regardless of which Division that I’m shooting in, but I never rely on it as my only means of ranging.

I don’t get the joke, but there is no HFT in AAFTA field target. Though lately, the term “HFT” has been used more and more when referring to AAFTA Hunter Division. In AAFTA, it’s Hunter Division, Open Division, and WFTF Division. AAFTF WFTF uses WFTF shoot rules, but not WFTF course rules. AAFTA Hunter does not use HFT shoot rules or course rules. HFT is really something different, and existed before AAFTA came up with “Hunter” Division.

Shooters in any Division of AAFTA can benefit from “bracketing”, though focus range finding can be used instead of, or in conjunction with bracketing. Because of the effectiveness of focus range finding with high power scopes out to 55yds, bracketing is probably less benefit to Open and WFTF. And since AAFTA Hunter switched up to 16x scopes, bracketing is not quite as beneficial as back when we were using 12x. I’ll still use it when a good target feature presents itself, regardless of which Division that I’m shooting in, but I never rely on it as my only means of ranging.
What he said.

Furthermore, if you folks in Hunter Class keep using big glass with hamsters and adjustable butt pads, you'll need to stop calling yourselves HFT shooters and instead call yourselves OWC shooters. Open class With Crutches.

Before anyone freaks out, I'm just having fun and trying to get some jabs in on my buddy before he hands me my butt at ROT this weekend. Some of my best friends shoot Hunter class, and they are all "differently abled". Hell, I started out in Hunter class, but I was kicked out for being too thin and good looking.

Reactions: c_m_shooter

I thought @scotton would get the joke, I’ll explain it this weekend at ROT. @Scotchmo, it is far easier to type HFT than AAFTA Hunter Division. I don’t think any one will be confused and think I was talking about the British rule set.

I thought @scotton would get the joke, I’ll explain it this weekend at ROT. @Scotchmo, it is far easier to type HFT than AAFTA Hunter Division. I don’t think any one will be confused and think I was talking about the British rule set.
I got the joke, but its more fun for me to encourage older men to fight due to my unresolved daddy issues.
And for the record, my pronouns are "hey, stupid" and "stop that!"

• Haha
Reactions: SDstephan
So, as plainly stated in the thread name, @scotton, this is an HFT only club! You need to decide how you are going to identify. Are you HFT, Open, or WFTF? Piston or PCP? You and I can revert to @AirNGasman rule 5 at ROT this coming weekend!

I assume you mean TEXtreme competitions tie-breaker #5; fast becoming the standard by which all other tie-breakers are judged. 😂

FWIW, it took no small amount of superhuman genius to design and compose.🥴😵‍💫🥲

Correction- it took know small amount of superhuman genius to design and compose.

For the record, I beat Podna on Saturday but he came back strong on Sunday and edged me out. I did use bracketing on a few targets. Now I just need to figure out how to bracket the wind.

Reactions: Podna