• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HFT gun recommendation

Looking to get into HFT shoots. I am thinking about purchasing a Daystate Wolverine R. .177. Would appreciate thoughts on using this gun for that purpose. Thanks in advance
It’s a nice rifle for HFT. Very accurate and stays under the 20 FPE limit. But it is chunky, some like the Huntsman better.

-Marty

Reactions: dgeesaman
I was a bit concerned about exactly what you said. I’ll check out the Huntsman. Thanks for the insight
Glad you found the info useful. I shoot the Wolverine R and the Air Arms TX200. I like both but the Huntsman will definitely feel like a more traditional rifle like the TX200, minus the recoil of course.

Others I’ve seen include the AA S510 and HW100/110. Not mentioning the really high end stuff.

-Marty

Reactions: blam62
I have the Huntsman and Wolverine in .177 that I use for HFT. I prefer the Wolverine. It is chunky and I wouldn't want to take it on a hunt. But my stroller carries it and my gear so the chunky isn't an issue for HFT. The only small very small gripe is I dont have my scope height perfect. I sure wish Daystate had used an adjustable cheek piece.

.177 Daystate Huntsman Revere. Load JSB 10.34 and shoot. Nothing required except step to the podium to accept your award. Barbara P on Team Centercut just finished second at the Sonoran Desert GP with a bone stock Huntsman Revere. Nothing was adjusted. It shot the 10.34 at about 900 fps from the factory, and that was good as is. Cleaned barrel, installed scope and shot. It's not a gun for the tweaker, just the shooter that wants to shoot and not have the gun apart half the time...

.177 Daystate Huntsman Revere. Load JSB 10.34 and shoot. Nothing required except step to the podium to accept your award. Barbara P on Team Centercut just finished second at the Sonoran Desert GP with a bone stock Huntsman Revere. Nothing was adjusted. It shot the 10.34 at about 900 fps from the factory, and that was good as is. Cleaned barrel, installed scope and shot. It's not a gun for the tweaker, just the shooter that wants to shoot and not have the gun apart half the time...
And Tony told me Barb shot a 48/48 at the retired match yesterday with the same Revere. Clean/perfect scores are few and far between.

Thanks for the info!!

And Tony told me Barb shot a 48/48 at the retired match yesterday with the same Revere. Clean/perfect scores are few and far between.
Barry also got 48/48 at the same geezer match yesterday with his Revere so add another thumbs up for that rifle. I was down a bit (3) with my Bcock Sniper but my excuse is that shooting partner Van kept thumping me on the back of the head while lining up my shot - I always knew there was a psychological aspect to the FT game but guess I failed to realize the full contact possibilities of the sport, this changes everything 😬.

Barry also got 48/48 at the same geezer match yesterday with his Revere so add another thumbs up for that rifle. I was down a bit (3) with my Bcock Sniper but my excuse is that shooting partner Van kept thumping me on the back of the head while lining up my shot - I always knew there was a psychological aspect to the FT game but guess I failed to realize the full contact possibilities of the sport, this changes everything 😬.
And there's also Kent G who kicks butt on a regular basis with his Huntsman. I think he may have won Hunter class Sonorran GP last year with it? He often wins monthly matches. He and I tied 47/48 at the Founders Cup in October and the trophy went home with him for the year, again he was using the Huntsman.

I really like the Wolverine for HFT. Upgrade from Marauder. My scores almost doubled. Shoots right at 19.5 fpe. It is a little heavy, but rests very well in the bipod with no movement. Plenty accurate out to about 65 yes with AA 10.3 gr.
I have a huntsman in 22 for actual hunting. It is also a nice rifle and I’m sure the 177 would also work great.

It’s a nice rifle for HFT. Very accurate and stays under the 20 FPE limit. But it is chunky, some like the Huntsman better.

-Marty
I love my Huntsman revere safari. Not too heavy and very accurate with a great trigger. Mine came with a huma reg in it that does awesome.

40D94626-E1A9-405F-9D9D-3E29CB529FB8.jpeg

Reactions: davit66
I love mine. Very accurate, and like you said it’s a load and go. This will be my first full season with mine. It’s a great recommendation.

Reactions: cavedweller