Hey FX R&D Team

Very good info qball! Especially the BC stuff. I do the same thing when I get a tune I want. I'll test the numbers in Strelock Pro, until it dials spot on, regardless of distance. It works really well with the .22 and .30 slugs. I haven't tested it much in .177, since I machined the barrel for the Maverick, but the same thing does apply for sure. It sure is cool to be able to dial in a distance and hand your gun over to someone else and watch them pop a long range target on the first try :)

Here is my test data:

NSA .22 slugs in Superior 1:24:

20 grain shot ok at 800+ FPS, 1-2 inch at 100 yards. With published BC POI is about 0.1-0.2 mil low with strelok at 900FPS. SG is 1.13

23 grain shot very well at 800+ FPS, sub MOA at 100 yards. TWith published BC POI is about 0.1 mil low with strelok at 900FPS. SG is 1.14

26 grain did not shoot well, well over 2 inch at 100 yards. SG is 0.95

NSA .25 slugs in Superior heavy 1:18:

29 grain shot very well at 800+ FPS, sub MOA at 100 yards. With published BC POI is spot on with strelok at 920FPS. SG is 2.51

34 grain shot very well at 800+ FPS, sub MOA at 100 yards. With published BC POI spot on with strelok at 900FPS. SG is 2.35

36 grain shot very well at 800+ FPS, sub MOA at 100 yards. With published BC POI is spot on with strelok at 900FPS. SG is 2.31

EDIT: all GS I listed are calculated at sea level or 0 feet aka worse case, as altitude go up the GS will go up fairly significantly. It's a small but significant detail not everyone pays attention to, GS will change with altitude along with DOPE. 

I haven't tried with .22 superior heavy because the superior shoots the 23 grain really well plus I haven't really have time to shoot my impact for quite a few month. From my data it is clear to me that having SG over 1.5 the published BC seems to be spot on in strelok and SIG BDX app and Garmin applied ballistic software. I don't have to mess with adjusting BC at all. Just zero, plug in the info and just spot on. I can tune for a certain speed, zero, pick a profile in BDX app and go hunt in 30 minutes or less. 

You comment on handing your friend a gun that's dialed reminded me of my experience with doing that. Friend of mine was popping soda bottle caps at 100 yards on his property with my impact, I saw a house house sparrow on a tree branch 101 meters or 114 yards away. I told him to go for it and told him the number of clicks to dial, he dialed the scope then put the center dot on the sparrow and POP!!! The look on his face was priceless!!! Then few months later we decided to shoot a water bottle 165 yards away after hunting, he bought an Avenger and it shot well under 100 yards. He must of shot 15 shots and couple shots got close. I ranged and missed a little low (hard to range a bottle on the ground 165 yards away), 1 click up and I was on the bottle on my third shot. Handed him my impact and he put the center dot on the top half of the bottle and POP! He shot it again and POP! He turned around, gave me back my impact and sold the avenger the very next day. LOL! 

I use my gun for hunting primarily, so I generally run much hotter tunes. I use the superior heavy(16" twist), and the lightest slug I use in it is 24.8 grain, but use the 31.2 grain the most. My current tune, is with 36 grain .218 slugs at 1020 fps. I didn't measure it, but it is well under MOA. I was just testing it yesterday, and could cover the group with the tip of my index finger at 100 yards! The .30 tunes I run are usually in the 950-980 fps range, with the superior heavy is a laser with the 18" twist and slugs 54.5-65.5 grain. The basics don't change though. 

All of your info is very useful for sure. Especially, when someone is trying to do as much research prior to testing or range time. Admittedly, I don't let myself get bogged down in the numbers too much anymore. I used to do that, but I honestly don't have the time/patience anymore. All of my .177 testing has a lot to do with that, lol. I have a few weights and speeds that I know work, and stick with it nowadays. At the end of the day, if it shoots well, that's all I really need to know. It's always fun when you can enable other people and add them to the air gun addiction :D

I do hunt occasionally and I always use slugs because the distances vary between 15 feet and 100 yards out on the plain at the same spot. I also have very limited long range time so given my past trial and errors I want to leverage well established formulas to reduce the errors and all the data so far points to GS factor of 2.x is where FX is designing their slug barrels to be at with heavy .22 .25 and .30 slugs with amazing results. Even all your superior heavy test data shows your ammo/barrel combo all have GS factor over 2 at sea level also and the results are fantastic as you have experienced.

FX made the superior liners for pellets and hybrids. The hybrids due to its hollow core actually prefer slower twist rate because the weight is on the outside so the gyroscopic effect is more pronounced compared to solid bullet the normal formula is for, kind of like a frisbee compared to a football. The superior will shoot light solid core slugs ok but superior heavy/slug liners is what people should be using if shooting slugs at all. 

the .177 is interesting because a lot of .177 guns they sell are capped but the interest is growing For higher power .177. FX never made a .177 hybrid which I think will change, as soon that’s in motion then both new superior and heavy will come out and with other caliber superior heavy twist rate would suggest the .177 heavy should land near 1:12-13 to get the GS factor up to 2.x with the 20 grain NSA which might be the longest slug that can fit in the mag.

Anyways this is just my own research to find the right ammo/barrel combo to try, physics and math saves me a lot of time and slugs.

edit: granted I have no plans to use .177 slugs for hunting just because the wind rift is more than I like compared to the .22 slugs.Ike you I also tried the .177 slugs even though the math says it’s below optimal but some have had good luck with it, it was fun never the less.