Here’s some food for thought

Pale_Rider

Feb 16, 2019
US
Every now and then a thread emerges complaining about how slow AGN is. Out of all you fellas that complained how many of you donate to this site? You may say to yourself “AGN doesn’t need my money, they should make plenty from sponsors”. And my response would be #1) It’s bad taste to count the next man’s chickens #2) I highly doubt Michael would ask for donations if he was rolling in the dough from sponsorship payouts. If you want to be apart of the solution then consider donating what you can so that more can be done to improve the site. 
I’m no philanthropic extraordinaire but I have donated. To be honest I think it would be a great idea if Michael took a small percentage of each classified sale. Perhaps 1 or 2% to make up for all the non donators. After all it is a PRIVILEGE* to have access to the honest fellas on this site that won’t scam you. Obviously you must still perform your due diligence to avoid the scammers that lurk in the shadows. But anyone with a bit common sense can see these guys from a mile away. It’s a privilege to be able to sell your toy gun at only a small loss so you can buy the latest and greatest. 
So the next time you feel like complaining, take a scroll down to the bottom of this page and donate a little something. If we all do it I bet Michael could hire another programmer to get this site running a lot smoother.

@legionair - thank you for your generosity. Airgun Nation is made financially possible through our sponsors, but every donation certainly helps. Thank you for taking pride in Airgun Nation, our community and your peers.

AWS (Amazon Web Services) has been a point of contention for some time. Our former developer complicated things (on the network side) when they implemented auto-scaling EC2 instances (cloud servers).

Rest assured we've been working our tails off since the beginning of the year, and soon, very soon, we will reveal something truly awesome. 

-Michael

Not one person has any input on this??? But you start a thread about AGN being slow and there’s 50 effin replies. I am ranting, perhaps a bit of my frustration in dealing with a freeloading squatter has spilled over into this thread. The fact is we all come here for various reasons: knowledge, get help fixing your airgun, sell an airgun, etc. If you feel AGN has helped you in some way consider donating 

Not one person has any input on this??? But you start a thread about AGN being slow and there’s 50 effin replies. I am ranting, perhaps a bit of my frustration in dealing with a freeloading squatter has spilled over into this thread. The fact is we all come here for various reasons: knowledge, get help fixing your airgun, sell an airgun, etc. If you feel AGN has helped you in some way consider donating

It’s just the way of the internet these days, I doubt it’s personal. People are always quick to complain, regardless of the topic. When things run smoothly nobody says anything because that’s expected behavior.

The internet moved towards an ad supported model years ago where content is free to users and the sites are supported by ads. Yes, some sites that are trying to get people to pay but it’s not catching on too much. How many people do you know that pay for ad free YouTube? Would you pay to access Facebook? 

While I personally agree with paying to support content I enjoy, I think AGN would stagnate and have a hard time growing the sport if we charged people for access.

To be fair, every forum I've ever been a part of is free. Social media (which forums kind of are) like reddit, Twitter and Facebook are free to use. Ads pay for them, sometimes well enough to pull down a great salary. (Yes I understand it's work)

Just so the food for thought is spread both ways, I'm happy to be here and I've been helped and have helped here. It's a community, the community is the source of traffic which draws sponsors and revenue. 

Same model as basic cable, the ads pay for the airtime. 

That said, thanks Michael and team for all your work. 

AWS (Amazon Web Services) has been a point of contention for some time. Our former developer complicated things (on the network side) when they implemented auto-scaling EC2 instances (cloud servers).

-Michael

AWS auto-scaling is at best a mixed blessing for sites like this. I can't imagine using it on a forum like this personally. Month to Month billing can be a real challenge too, especially if you see a sudden surge due to bots and similar things causing traffic spikes.

Best wishes for a good migration!

@airgun-hobbyist thank you

While this is a form of social media I wouldn’t put it in the same category as Reddit, Twitter, or any other drag net for personal information. Those are platforms that anyone uses from a 10 year old kid in Thailand to an 80 year old grandma in Germany. This is a very niche social media platform that is fortunate enough to have users that spend thousands of dollars in which the sponsors are wanting. AGN is similar in the sense that we are a commodity. And I’m sure there are companies collecting our information posted here to form marketing strategies. That being said, I hope this site becomes nothing like any of the big social media platforms. I.e. deleting posts because someone has a bone to pick with a certain company.

To be clear I’m not advocating that Michael charges us to USE the site. I’m advocating for a negligible fee to sell on the classifieds. It’s free to use eBay, yet when you sell something on eBay there’s a 10-12% fee that eBay deducts. If AGN charged 1% of every sale it would not kill the individual selling, but you add up the 1% and it can make a big impact on what Michael is able to achieve on this platform