Here is some helpful info for Heritage Arms Cold shot users with dovetail/picatinny adapters.

If you are using a Heritage Arms Cold Shot scope base with a dovetail to picatinny adapter, here is some helpful info.

I shoot a Texan which has a dovetail scope mount. I also have a Heritage Arms Cold Shot scope base which I use for long distance shooting.
According to Heritage Arms, the Cold Shot can only be mounted to a MIL-STD-1913A Picatinny rail. (this standard is important). This mil-std rail is 21 mm / .826 inch wide.

I purchased a dovetail to picatinny rail adapter on Amazon for less than $30. The width of these cheap Amazon adapters have a width of .817. The difference in width is the problem with these cheap adapters. No matter how much you torque down the 3 Cold Shot bolts on the picatinny rail, it will not hold the scope snugly.

I was ready to order a USA and professionally made adapter from Kelbys rifles for $85 which is out of stock. Then I had a thought of using some metal shim material I already had, which worked like a charm.

I had some .008 metal shim stock which I cut in strips and slipped one on each side where the cold shot mounts on the adapter. Now I use 1/2 of the effort to lock down the Cold Shot. I'm going to try this for then next few months. If the Cold Shot does not loosen up, I will make it permanent. Or at least until Kelbys rifles has their adapter back in stock.

I hope this info helps other Cold Shot users.

Rod in San Francisco

shim1.jpeg
shim2.jpeg
shim5.jpeg
shim3.jpeg
shim4.jpeg