• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help with training rifles.

The single-shot (with magazine) Marauder might fit the bill - has conventional lines (appropriate for training), a magazine, and good accuracy. The discovery is cheaper still and would be an excellent trainer, but is single-shot only. Sights are something you'd have to add yourself. I haven't purchased an air rifle with a decent set of sights since my multi-pump benji/sheridan. Seems everyone anticipates that you'll use a scope these days.

GsT

I am NRA and BSA instructor and looking for some suggestions on a PCP training rifle:

Preferably peep sights

magazine would be a plus

light weight would be desireable for younger scouts

Any thoughts??

Tim

Diana Stormrider has open sights (not a peep sight but I suppose that could be changed with just a bit of work). Otherwise, it is a light, simple to use rifle that comes with a magazine and single shot tray.

For starting out, as a PcP then t200 is a great starter, but a bit pricey. The daisy 853 from cmp is a cheaper choice but is ssp. Great shooter though.

Also don't overlook the simple daisy 880. For 5 pumps it can easily do 10m, and it is cheap. Very lightweight, and can do nickel size groups at 10m. Although it does not have peep sights.

All depends on how much you want to spend.

Good luck getting it going.

Thanks everyone for suggestions. A few comments, we tried CO2 and it has been a disaster, we shoot at camps in 95 degree weather and even with CO2 on ice it is a constant battle.

I like the older SSP Daisey don't think it is available any more and the ages are 7 to 18. BB's for younger age that is another one to tackle later. 

I am going to buy both a Challenger and the TS200 and try them out and see how they do. Yes cost is an issue but having reliable guns can make for a much better experience. 

We may be able t get a grant for 10-15 rifles once we get down to which one works best.

This is great forum for info Thanks to all.

Tim 

Biggest challenge with small shooters, is finding something that fit.

I've seen a few 4H programs that get the kid started with Daisy 499 Champion. They are not much $, so if one rifle needs to be cut-down to fit a smaller kid, it is less stressful to do so.

- But I think most of the programs that run with it, are shot at 5M... the shorter distance isn't all that bad for younger shooters, as it allows them to print better groups and gain confidence.

A good friend was involved in a paraplegic shooting groups, and they had good luck with the Airforce Edge. They were easy to configure for various body shape.

The TAU 200 (CO2) and MK300 used to be available in "junior" size... But I haven't seen a TAU 200 (CO2) for sale in quite some time.

Here is the problem with rifles you have to cock with younger kids.

The current kids are not very athletic/coordinated like we were (74) they don't play outdoors much unless they do sports.

I have been doing the training for 25+ years now and have experienced the decline in fine motor skills in todays youth. Not wanting to get into discussion on why this has happened.

When they try and cock a lever action or SSP they struggle and wave the gun around trying to cock it creating unsafe range condition, some are fine even the 7-8 year old's but they are in minority. 

That alone along with issues with CO2 in summer are pushing towards PCP. Only draw back will be keeping charging tanks filled and safe recharging of rifles. (regulator on tank so they can not over charge rifles is a must)

I believe we can handle both with training (we have a great training and certification program in place.)

Tim

I've been coaching a junior team (12 to 18) for the last 6 years or so. We've had good luck with the Daisy 853, they remind me of a an Timex add.

- Takes a beating and keeps on ticking (or shooting in this case)

It is not uncommon for 12 years old to struggle with the pump (initially)

- Been able (wanting) to shoot is a good incentive for them to get active. As in, we'll play games doing push-up and setup at the end of each training sessions. And many of them will get into the habit of doing some exercises at home.

Another fun training aid, to get them to be active and learn how to shoot are the Anschutz Lazer rifle

The "Challenge Jean-Philippe Le Guellec" is quite popular with our youths (Can't seem to find the English version 😐)

https://biathlonmontreal.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/normes-defi-biathlon-jpl.pdf

https://biathlonmontreal.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/presentation-defi-biathlon-jpl.ppt