• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help with taipan vet

I tend to agree. I had planned on a installing a huma reg and plenum, and while a new reg and and some adjustments may well get things right, its frustrating that it wasn't in working order out of the box. Dealer does not seem super interested in helping, just told me to shoot a tin and things should be good. Also told me there was no o ring on the barrel after I sent the schematic. When I pointed out that there should in fact be one there and asked if they could send me one, he said they don't have any parts for taipans right now. I've found the o rings online and will get some, but feel like I'm being brushed off. Not trying to turn this into a dealer rant, just want to get this little gun shooting right. 

At this point, it sounds to me that either the tune is significantly off, or there is a valve problem. Even if the rifle was not regulated, there should be a hammer spring setting that would avoid this problem. Unfortunately, it sounds as if your dealer is either ill equipped, or uninterested in helping. If nothing else is gained from this experience, you will at least have narrowed by one, your list of acceptable dealers. Most European makers have a U.S. distributor, or master dealer that is trained and qualified for parts and service work. I'm glad the Taipan is such a robust and generally reliable rifle, as it doesn't appear to benefit from such a structure. It is a simple design, and there are qualified air gun smiths who could get it right, but as you said, you should not have to do that with a new rifle.

My impatience/curiosity got the better of me while waiting for the dealer, so I went ahead and pulled the factory reg and swapped it out with a huma I had. Immediately saw better results. Not sure if the numbers in red on the factory reg are the set point, but mine was labeled 134, which seems kind of low for a .25, but I'm not sure. I put the huma at 140 and started testing. I am now getting around 28-29 shots at 870 or so, which is right where I want to be, at least to start dialing in accuracy. Maybe the factory reg was bad, or just gummed up (there was a lot of oil/dirt in there). Also, way quieter. Anyway, happy to be at a better stating point to tune this gun. Thanks for all the help. 

download.png
View attachment ts10.1599411861.pdf