• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help with Sighting

I got a Gamo Silent Cat about a year ago and tried sighting in the scope that came with it to no avail. Thing was shooting EVERYWHERE. Recently tried doing it again and failed again. I thought the scope was screwed so I bought a hammers 3-9x32AO scope and tried sighting in today and the gun is hitting down and right everytime. I’ve tried cranking the sighting up and left and it still shoots down. Doesn’t help that I cant hold it steady even when propping it up. I’ve tried using the artillery hold and that didn’t help either. Any ideas? Advice? I’m very frustrated that I can’t get anywhere near good groups. 

Springers can be confounding to sight in; at least for me.

A first step to determine if there is a scope problem is to shoot some targets with open sights. If the gun can group, then follow the recommendation by fishinwrench and Acruz above.

If it looks like you will need to shim an optically-centered scope, use the feature in Chairgun Pro to calculate the thickness of shim you will need.

You failed to tell us what pellets you are using, and what distance you are shooting, what your expectations are for "accuracy" .

Generally, the faster the pellet is shot, the worse it's precision is. Generally, heavier pellets shoot slower.

Why can't you hold the gun steady? If you can't find a repeatble hold, there is no help we can give you.

A friend of mine purchased a couple of these rifles for his kids. Where my TX200 was shooting 3/8” groups at 18 yards, these rifles were shooting 4”.

I put them on the Chrono and for starters, they were cranked up way to fast. I was finally able to cut the group by about half by going to JSB Monsters to cut the velocity down.

In the end, my conclusion was that one is never going to get a $150 rifle to shoot like a TX, Weihrauch, Walther LGU, or Diana 48/52.

Bigger and faster is always promoted as “better” in the US and where accuracy comes into play with pellet rifles, that ain’t necessarily so.

Good luck.

A friend of mine purchased a couple of these rifles for his kids. Where my TX200 was shooting 3/8” groups at 18 yards, these rifles were shooting 4”.

I put them on the Chrono and for starters, they were cranked up way to fast. I was finally able to cut the group by about half by going to JSB Monsters to cut the velocity down.

In the end, my conclusion was that one is never going to get a $150 rifle to shoot like a TX, Weihrauch, Walther LGU, or Diana 48/52.

Bigger and faster is always promoted as “better” in the US and where accuracy comes into play with pellet rifles, that ain’t necessarily so.

Good luck.

Amen and agreed.

The Gamo Silent Cat was my first entry into pellet rifles in 2013. Once I got my hands on a TX200 I gave the Gamo away! It's like night and day!

Fuss

You failed to tell us what pellets you are using, and what distance you are shooting, what your expectations are for "accuracy" .

Generally, the faster the pellet is shot, the worse it's precision is. Generally, heavier pellets shoot slower.

Why can't you hold the gun steady? If you can't find a repeatble hold, there is no help we can give you.

Starting at 10 yards and using Crosman premier hunting pellets. I also have Gamo red fires. 

Consider making your purchase in .22 if you want a hunting rifle - and yes, at 35 yards or less in .22 you will be fine. Finally, stay away from the gimmick pellets that you have mentioned. Get some good pellets from Airguns of Arizona, Pyramid Air, or Airgun Depot - such as JSB, Polymag Predators, H&N Baracudas and you will be amazed with a quality rifle and good pellets how well you will do.