• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help with scope

I’m looking for help choosing a scope. I have read everything I can and have looked at a lot of YouTube vids but I am asking for experienced guidance. I’m 72 on fixed income and wear glasses as I am extremely near sighted. I have a 177 that I just finished shooting today and I know that I want a 30-40 yard zero. I took the scope (Monstrum 3x30 ) off of my Daisy 880 and put it on my new pcp 177. I know it isn’t much of a scope but I got it used and it works for my Daisy plinking. I don’t need a great deal of magnification but after looking through that Monstrum then my Hawke FX Bobcat combo I know that there is a right scope and money combination to buy. I need help with that. None of my friends shoot and the only way I have to figure a lot of this out is from the forums. I know I like a clear bright image and that comes with a price. I also like a red, green lit reticle, I don’t use one often but at times I lose the reticle and lighting it works. I bought the 177 to shoot inside barns and not damage the wood or roof when shooting pests. My other guns are 25 cal 48 ft lb and 70 ft lb as tuned. Both of these have nice scopes and took me a while to save the money for them. I don’t need a scope like the ones I have because the shooting distance is going to be much closer, with a 30 or 40 yard zero. I know some of the good brands SWFA, Hawke, Leopold, and many more but what I’m after is a new scope for my gun that will make me happy and not pay more than is necessary. Fixed power 4,6,8, or zoom 3-9, 4-12 and hopefully under $250 but if this is not possible I’ll wait and save til something good recommended makes sense. If you should chime in with a suggestion I will look it over and thank you for your help. My guns aren’t new but I enjoy being outside and walking taking shots that hit the mark.

Albert, 😊

so you're looking for something close range for a .177cal.

You most likely will want the parallax to adjust all the way down to 10 yards.

And you requested an illuminated reticle (IR). 

Price range up to $250.

OK.

🔶 (0)

The first issue, ground zero, you probably need to make up your mind about is if you want a fixed magnification scope (cheaper, brighter), or a variable magnification scope (with all the amazing flexibility that this brings).

🔶 (1)

It would be important to know what you prefer doing about adjusting your point of aim (POA) for ranges other than the range your gun is zeroed for:

(a) Are you planning on dialing the elevation turret every time, or

(b) are you going to hold over/ under with the reticle, or

(c) do you want both options?

🔶 (2)

The answer to that question would then lead you to the next decision, if you want a first focal plane scope (FFP), or a second focal plane scope (SFP). I'm sure on your reading and watching spree online you've come accross this option. (Does not apply to fixed magni scopes.)

🔶 (3)

The answer to (1) would determine if you are fine with a plain crosshair reticle (or duplex or BDC, really anything that you can get cheap) — or if you need a holdoff reticle = a reticle that has evenly spaced hash lines (or dots) to assist in changing your POA.

🔶 (4)

The answer to (1) will also help determine if capped turrets are fine — or if you should get exposed turrets.

🔶 (5)
If the scope's parallax adjustment is in the front with an adjustable objective (AO) this will usually end up cheaper than if it's on the side, the socalled side focus (SF). The latter I feel is more convenient.

🔶 (6)

If you are shooting in barns you might want your scope image to be bright. The larger the objective lens is, the brighter the scope image (all other things equal!). Usually the more expensive scopes have better glass coatings and so they are also brighter.

Armed with your decisions to (0) through (6), you could sift through the options online.

Scopes from Discovery have suprised with the glass quality for the price they charge.

UTG branded scopes are pretty tough, and have a great warranty.

In my list below the higher quality brands are listed in green.

🔶 I'll attach a Scope Specs List I've made for my own scope shopping. It helps me decide as I can see which scope has the features I want, and how much it costs.

I answered some of the above questions as follows — so those choices are reflected in the Scope Specs Table:

(0) variable magnification: 3-12x | 3-9x

(4) exposed turrets

(5) parallax adjustment via side focus

👍🏼 Ask Odoyle for his opinion before you hit the "pay now" button!

Happy scope shopping!

Matthias

❌ Attachment: Scope Specs List: 3-12x, 3-9x, or short/light scopes

download.png
View attachment SCOPE SPECS TABLE. For Short Scopes -and- 3-12x. 045. 2020-08. TABLE.1604193754.pdf

I also recommend side focus (SF) and first focal plane (FFP). FFP means that a change in magnification does not impact POI.

After reading an old thread by YO! (RIP?) I grabbed a couple BSA 4-14*44 TMD (FFP) off Aliexpress. 80 smackers apiece. Mounts included and shipped, if you can believe it.

Tell you what -- I might as well have paid a couple hundred and would still be happy. Good glass, fine adjustments, great reticle, fairly compact etc. That same item is now being offered at around 75 bucks. 11/11 deal! -- I may need to go grab a few more soon.

1604346471183-1959934934.1604346501.jpg

This one lacks illumination but there is an illuminated reticle ( IR) variant offered for slightly more. Most riflescopes below the 1k price point are now built in China, and Optisan in the Philippines. I am stunned by the quality improvement in recent years. 🐦

I have budget friendly and not so budget friendly, for what you asking don’t overlook the utg bug buster or other utg scopes they are really nice for the price. Just my thoughts.

I'm with Vinny. Do yourself a favor and take a look at the UTG scopes . You will like the price and will not be disappointed.

This. I got my first UTG scope a short time ago. It is definately a good scope at a good price. It's mounted on my newest cheapo springer, and I wish I knew of the brand years ago. I have quite a few vortex (for springers and firearms), and a sig sauer scope. The UTG one I have is a solid scope for a price that wont kill you...

20201003_163217.1604715729.jpg

I have the BugBuster and all due respect to previous comment - I would not recommend it because:

1. No illuminated reticle that I am aware of

2. The image is incredibly small - especially when dialing in the magnification to full power

You were looking for something in 200 dollar range as far as I can tell. Hawke is probably a good option. Specifically the Vantage in the IR line:

The small picture is something I would agree on...

https://www.dontwasteyourmoney.com/products/utg-bugbuster-scope/

The UTG (not Bugbuster!) Mini Swat 3-12x44 and 4-16x44 (with 36 colors!) are ok scopes if and when purchased at $100-$125 when shopping smart even the 4-16x40AO too...

I think the HAWKES are a bit pricey for what you get IMHO...

Hawke Vantage are nicely made scopes for sure. Made in China like most.

But they do not come cheap. And they are OK for PCPs but do not even THINK of putting them onto a springer. The reticle on my spanking new Vantage broke (yes, it simply snapped!) on my Gamo Magnum IGT during my very first shooting session. The UTGs (made in China) are more shock resistant, but I do not care for the fairly thick reticle. (I do like that BSA from Aliexpress ... The feral parrots don't, but hey you can't always please everyone ...)

🐦

You may want to look at this new compact Hawke scope. https://us.hawkeoptics.com/airmax-30-sf-compact-4-16x44-amx-ir.html I have this scope on my HW95L and my wife & I enjoy shooting this from our back deck. She really likes the IR feature that has 6 brightness settings and I like the side focus. I have found the scope solid after several hundred shots.

IMG_4232.1605661625.JPG