• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Help with perspective please: What are realistic expectations for slug groups?

I do my tuning and testing at 40 yards. Figure that is far enough to see what is happening but not too far that I'm negatively impacting the results. I know what to expect with pellets and when the tune is as good as it's going to be.

I'm getting into slugs and would appreciate comments on what would be realistic group size expectations. At the moment the best groups are about 1/2" at 40 yards.
Also, is 40 yards a good distance for tuning?

Thanks!

Reactions: qball
As others noted, much would depend on what you are shooting. 1/2 inch from a 22 and 1/2 inch from a 50 cal is a big difference.. ;-) FWIW, I also do much of my testing at 40 yards. I figure if I'm doing well there, chances are, I'll do well further... but I will say I've had some projectiles...pellets and slugs, that grouped great at 40 and then fell apart past 50 so while I think it's a good starting point, I'll always verify out further.

I do my tuning and testing at 40 yards. Figure that is far enough to see what is happening but not too far that I'm negatively impacting the results. I know what to expect with pellets and when the tune is as good as it's going to be.

I'm getting into slugs and would appreciate comments on what would be realistic group size expectations. At the moment the best groups are about 1/2" at 40 yards.
Also, is 40 yards a good distance for tuning?

Thanks!
That’s better than I could get using my Crown MkII and about ten different slugs.

read this it fits what your trying to find out . and it will work for you . and it will be fun

Reactions: Vana2
Sorry, was just asking generally what would be considered "good" to get an idea where I stood. You're right - too vague, some specifics...

I'm shooting a .22/700 Impact MK2 and a .22/700 Panthera.

I'll be plinking & target shooting at ranges out to 128 yards with 24 to 34 grain slugs.

Thanks much for commenting!

Edit...
Oh, yes. I'm using the factory standard liner on the Panthera and the "slug liner" that was available when the Impact MK2 came out.

Last edited:
Are you asking for a quantitative or subjective answer? There are SO many variables involved, precision of gun, capabilities of shooter, type of gun, type of projectile, Yada, yada,Yada. THAT is why it's a rabbit hole once you pursue it. Add in the idiosyncrasies of airguns (2 of the exact same guns shooting the same ammo with same tune can get different results) & it's REALLY difficult to get or give a pat answer!

Reactions: Treefrog
Ya what are your expectations? Move to 100 see what happens
From my pesting and small game hunting background I've always considered that the (typical) one-inch kill-zone was my reference/definition of "accurate".

I rate the hardware (gun, optics, projectile) as to how far it will group 10 shots in a one-inch circle. I rate my maximum effective range in the same way.

My home shooting range is 128 yards, bench to backstop. Ideally the airgun, projectile and tune would be able to do the 10 in an inch.

Don't know it that's realistic or even possible, hence the post.

So, that all being said, I'm hoping that one MOA at 100 yards is realistic and that slightly under a MOA at 40 or 50 yards is my goal.

At this point, I don't know if if I've turned to the best for a particular slug or if I still need to keep working at it.

Reactions: Scotay42
If you can tune a heavy for caliber pellet like a Beast or monster the slugs ain’t worth it imho
For plinking maybe, but they are definitely worth it pesting. Example. My air arms s510 can hit 10/10 at 100 yds with H&n snipers. It makes my rimfire spinner just ding and shake at that range. Changing to 20g nsa .218 same poi at 100yds even tho heavier and it slaps the spinner making it flip multiple times. A good slug will hold 80% of its energy at 100yds,a pellet will be well below 50%. A properly tunes rifle will shoot slugs as well as any pellet and better in the wind.

Reactions: Vana2
From my pesting and small game hunting background I've always considered that the (typical) one-inch kill-zone was my reference/definition of "accurate".

I rate the hardware (gun, optics, projectile) as to how far it will group 10 shots in a one-inch circle. I rate my maximum effective range in the same way.

My home shooting range is 128 yards, bench to backstop. Ideally the airgun, projectile and tune would be able to do the 10 in an inch.

Don't know it that's realistic or even possible, hence the post.

So, that all being said, I'm hoping that one MOA at 100 yards is realistic and that slightly under a MOA at 40 or 50 yards is my goal.

At this point, I don't know if if I've turned to the best for a particular slug or if I still need to keep working at it.
In my experience, If it stacks them at 40,moa is not a problem at 100 with slugs.

Reactions: Vana2 and zhuber77
Are you asking for a quantitative or subjective answer? There are SO many variables involved, precision of gun, capabilities of shooter, type of gun, type of projectile, Yada, yada,Yada. THAT is why it's a rabbit hole once you pursue it. Add in the idiosyncrasies of airguns (2 of the exact same guns shooting the same ammo with same tune can get different results) & it's REALLY difficult to get or give a pat answer!
Yes so many rabbit holes - that's what makes this whole exercise interesting! :)

Mostly a subjective question. To get a feel for what is reasonable/realistic/practical.

I've looked at dozens (hundreds?) of slug groups - some are incredible (and probably "cherry picked"), others were "shotgun patterns" that included the "shot on a windy day" disclaimer. I'm just trying to understand what is real.

Getting two more tins of different brand slugs to try - if they work out ok but I am pretty much out of it. Even for pesting I am hitting at 9.6 fpe at 100 yds which is enough energy to take out a crow. Is more energy desirable- yes sure! But my gun is not delivering the energy down range with a slug. Damn near killed my chrony today because of erratic slug flight !
So I am making two more attempts with the JSB knockouts and one more brand before terminating this trip down the slug rabbit hole.
I'm trying these (.217, .218 23 to 34 grain) at are locally and readily available...

H&N
NSA
KnockOuts
Javelin

So far, the NSA have done best, waiting for better weather for more testing.

It depends on what you mean by realistic. What can be done based on gun and shooter capabilities is probably what you are asking. What can be achieve by a factory gun with slugs differs dramatically, BUT at the end of the day accuracy expectation for slugs is no different than pellets: sub MOA for good and 1/2 MOA for great.

IMHO 30-40 yards are great tuning distances per reasons you mentioned. Slugs are MUCH HARDER to tune even with a good slug barrel.

At 100 yards and beyond it’s a lot more shooter than the gun assuming the gun is sub MOA at 30-59 yards.

Reactions: oldman70
Yes so many rabbit holes - that's what makes this whole exercise interesting! :)

Mostly a subjective question. To get a feel for what is reasonable/realistic/practical.

I've looked at dozens (hundreds?) of slug groups - some are incredible (and probably "cherry picked"), others were "shotgun patterns" that included the "shot on a windy day" disclaimer. I'm just trying to understand what is real.
I had a truly unbelievable experience this past Saturday with a Panthera @ 284 yards shooting a 2" target (see Centercut's "200 yard 1st shot accuracy" post, page 2) that I'm still trying to wrap my head around. I'd have never believed it before. Just EXACTLY what went into getting it to shoot like that AND repeating it probably took a lot of time & effort (money too). I didn't really have the "slug bug" before but now has me thinking about it :rolleyes:

It depends on what you mean by realistic. What can be done based on gun and shooter capabilities is probably what you are asking. What can be achieve by a factory gun with slugs differs dramatically, BUT at the end of the day accuracy expectation for slugs is no different than pellets: sub MOA for good and 1/2 MOA for great.

IMHO 30-40 yards are great tuning distances per reasons you mentioned. Slugs are MUCH HARDER to tune even with a good slug barrel.

At 100 yards and beyond it’s a lot more shooter than the gun assuming the gun is sub MOA at 30-59 yards.
Good point, good info - thanks for that!