• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Help with Leaky Marauder Repair in Wyoming/Montana

Have a Marauder that has a slow leak. Not sure I have the tools or the know how to find and fix it. Anyone know of a repair shop in the northern Wyoming/southern Montana region?

I guess I won’t be apposed to dealing with it myself but I haven’t yet found a good video detailing replacing the o rings and what not. Have been reading some of the forms but still not sold on doing it myself. Hoping to do it cheap since I plan on selling it anyway.

Thanks in advance!

I have encountered this with my Marauder. I found it to be that the cut outs for the air gauge and the trigger were not smoothed out. The O-rings get cut up when the valve body and gauge body is installed.I used a one inch 1200 grit hone and a small file to smoothen things out and put in new O-rings to solve the problem. It also improves cocking.

Reactions: LRShooter6.5
I have encountered this with my Marauder. I found it to be that the cut outs for the air gauge and the trigger were not smoothed out. The O-rings get cut up when the valve body and gauge body is installed.I used a one inch 1200 grit hone and a small file to smoothen things out and put in new O-rings to solve the problem. It also improves cocking.
Do you have any pictures to when you did it? I’m a visual person and haven’t opened up the rifle yet. Was going to use the ballon trick first to find if the leak was from the muzzle or the air nozzle, then open it up

I also don’t have a degasser. Can I just dry fire it until it’s out of air?

Fixing the leak may not be as intensive as replacing internal orings. I've had a couple of air gages go bad. Back when the Marauders were common, this was the number one leak spot. They used to leak from a weep hole on the side or underneath the gage. Take the action out of the stock so you can see the underside of the gage. Use soapy water and put some over the weep hole to see if bubbles form there. If there's bubbles forming there, depressurize the gun and replace the gage. Another common leak was that the gage was not screwed in tight enough. I'm attaching a picture showing the classic weep hole leak.

leak_bubble_web.jpg

Reactions: LRShooter6.5
Fixing the leak may not be as intensive as replacing internal orings. I've had a couple of air gages go bad. Back when the Marauders were common, this was the number one leak spot. They used to leak from a weep hole on the side or underneath the gage. Take the action out of the stock so you can see the underside of the gage. Use soapy water and put some over the weep hole to see if bubbles form there. If there's bubbles forming there, depressurize the gun and replace the gage. Another common leak was that the gage was not screwed in tight enough. I'm attaching a picture showing the classic weep hole leak.

View attachment 307643
Like I said very slow leak. Just found it at the valve. What do I do now? Do I have to replace it? Seems pretty stupid to have one of these go out after only 250 shots..or is this normal from a weep hole?

C8AB71BB-B402-45FC-B58A-3ED84653BB86.jpeg

Remember to depressurize the gun first.
They told me that when I got the new gage, to take the rubbery material off of the stem and use teflon tape instead. There is an oring under that threaded stem that is easily lost if you arent paying attention. So the oring goes back in there and you tighten the gage just tight enough to seal up... finger tight first, then a little tweak with a small cresent wrench. Too tight and you'll break the new gage. Re-pressurize and check stem and weephole for leaks. When putting the action back in the stock (with the new gage installed) if the gage doesnt fit thru the stock easily, ream out the gage hole in the stock until it fits right. There should not be any strain on the gage. I had to ream mine out a little.

Remember to depressurize the gun first.
They told me that when I got the new gage, to take the rubbery material off of the stem and use teflon tape instead. There is an oring under that threaded stem that is easily lost if you arent paying attention. So the oring goes back in there and you tighten the gage just tight enough to seal up... finger tight first, then a little tweak with a small cresent wrench. Too tight and you'll break the new gage. Re-pressurize and check stem and weephole for leaks. When putting the action back in the stock (with the new gage installed) if the gage doesnt fit thru the stock easily, ream out the gage hole in the stock until it fits right. There should not be any strain on the gage. I had to ream mine out a little.
They just sent me the gauge and not a new stem. Do I still need to Teflon the threads? And would I still need a wrench if I’m not removing the stem? It sounded like I was just supposed to depressurize, remove the old gauge, and thread the new one on. Just don’t want to mess it up lol

The gage has a threaded stem, you'll see. The threaded stem screws into a threaded adapter which is that big blocky metal piece which then threads into the action. I made a mistake, there is no oring under the gage stem...its under the adapter. So the adapter doesnt need to be removed, just unscrew the gage and screw the new one in. But if I remember right, you need to hold the adapter with a wrench while unscrewing the gage. Go to the crosman site and download a copy of the exploded parts diagram for your rifle and it will be a little easier to understand what I mean. Look at parts 35, 36, and 37.

Last edited: