• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

help ! Veteran low power tune

Hi all

Since most of you guys told me the taipan veteran would be the better choice for a detunable quiet bullpup, I'd like to know if anyone here has detuned theirs to say 17-18 fpe ? 

I contacted the store that sells them and he told me it would be a lot of work getting it down from 32 fpe to 17-18 fpe ... and on top of that I read about accuracy issues because of the twist rate of the barrel?

If I were to buy it it would most definitely need to be detuned for noise cancelation... ( I'd even consider the standard over the short if it is quieter...) Since everyone is always looking for harder hitting airguns, there is very little to be found about detuning them for accuracy and quietness... the store owner suggested I buy a AT uragan compact instead, it starts off at 23 fpe in .22, so would be easier to detune according to him and is also very quiet and accurate ( and about 400$ more expensive??) 

85% of my shooting would be backyard, low power... I don't get out in the fields as much as I used to ...

Any user experience would be greatly appreciated!

Achilles

The taipans have a reputation for being one of the easiest to adjust up or down ( within limits of the regulator when going up). Talon Tunes had an ad showing a veteran shooting 10 or so fpe (about 400 fps ) up to full power, by changing only hammer spring tension. That is about a 2 minute job. You will need a chronograph to get it where you want it, unless you are just listening for sound reduction. 

1565525764_13237766605d5007046ea336.12908863_image.jpg

Achilles, In the picture you will see 2 red knobs; smaller one replaces the set screw and the larger one adjusts Hammer Spring Tension (HST). Donny FL sells these on his website. Very simple to use clockwise raises speed at muzzle, counter clockwise lowers speed at the muzzle. I tune my 22 Taipan shorty to 825 FPS (26 FPE) at the muzzle when I’m squirrel hunting and 550 FPS (10 FPE) when I’m bird hunting and all speeds in between. I use JSB 18.13 grain and JSB Hades, both very accurate for my purposes. It’s not going to matter which gun you use as diabolo domed pellets loose speed they become less accurate.

My Taipan Veteran Short came to me shooting the 32fpe they're advertised to shoot. That is actually all they'll do, maxed out. They're loud and gas hogs when maxed out. I reduced the energy with only the hammer spring to average 810fps with the JSB 13.43. That's just a hair under 20fpe. I did not adjust the regulator. It still produces exceptional accuracy at this power level. It's more quiet and I get A LOT of shots. At one point I put a whole shot string through the chronograph, but it's been a while and I didn't write it down. I remember getting something like 80-90 shots from 230-240 bar down to 105-110 bar. I've found with other guns that keeping the string within about 30 fps keeps the point of impact pretty close. I do remember that it comes off the reg somewhere around 120-130 bar and the fps comes up to about 820 and then falls to something like 795 by that 105-110 bar area. 

A couple months ago I tried turning it up to 26fpe and using the JSB 18.1. The prairie dogs weren't any deader when hit in the right spot with that setup up than with the lighter pellets at 815 so I went back to 20fpe and 13.43 gr pellets. Again, for sound reduction and shot count, I like my Veteran at about 20fpe. 

Like others said previously, all you should need to do is unscrew the hammer spring tension. You don't need to take the gun apart or any special tools that didn't come with the gun. Take the Allen key and loosen the grub screw. It just needs to be loose, no need to take it completely out. Then put the two pins in the holes of the hammer spring screw and loosen it. If you don't have a chonograph, I have found that 1/4 turn is roughly 2 FPE, so 1 full turn is approximately 8 FPE. A chonograph is an invaluable tool here to check the velocities as your results might not be exactly like mine. When you have the gun tuned to the FPE you want, tighten the grub screw back up and you are done.

The guys above covered it. The dealer either didn’t know what he was talking about or just wanted to sell you a different gun. Although I think the Uragan would be an awesome little gun to have, the Veteran standard or short would be a fine choice. 

As far as power adjustment, like others have said, you can just lower hammer spring tension with the factory hardware or get the DonnyFL which doesn’t require tools but are hand adjustable. Lowering hammer spring tension alone will get the power down where you’d like but the regulator will be set higher than you need. Like Franklink experiences when his Vet leaves the regulator, the speed will increase when the reg is set too high for the dialed speed. You can avoid this by having the reg adjusted or simply refill the gun several bars before it gets down to the pressure you’ll see the speed increase. Regardless, you’ll get many, many shots per fill.

I'm in the same boat here and following. I have a Veteran that I would not mind de-tuning as low as 12fpe. I really think that you would have to dial down the regulator as @zx10wall said. My particular questions on this subject are: How hard is it to do this? How does one go about doing it? To what pressure should the Reg be set? Will it still be accurate, say to 35 yards, at this power level?

@Achilles_13 The Taipans are pretty quiet to begin with. I would not de-tune it solely for keeping it quiet. Why not just add a Moderator? Dial down the spring tension a bit and throw a DonnyFL Sumo on there and I think you will have a Very quiet gun. 

*Also check out DonnyFL's site, he sells the aftermarket adjustment screws that make it really simple to adjust the hammer spring on the fly, no tools needed. Look pretty cool too. 

I have had my vet down at the 12 Ft mark it needs to be torn down to be really consistent and have the regulator set. Then the hammer spring adjusted, this is not a big deal to do... you won't need a moderator at this level. I would suggest actually a huma if you want to shoot low , I have a homade reg tester and I looked at my notes and was using ~115-120bar, with my long set up at 12ft. Accuracy was fine to 30 yds. I also ran a light hammer spring. Best pellets at this were air arms Diablo field , jsb r/s, and sovereigns. (I also reduced the plenum, with a sleeve but that is guilding the lily)

If you work on pcps this is a pretty easy one it is designed very well for service!