Help the Newbies and be nice!

Hey Guys,

I am sure this should be in the random rant section but had to post it where I feel it would get some visibility.

I had a guy get ahold of me about a higher end PCP I was selling and he asked some questions and all the usual stuff etc.

When we talked on the phone he started ranting about guys at his shooting club showing up with Hatsans and Kral and the like and how bad he felt it made the club look with "scrubs" like that using the range.

I let him ramble for a bit then politely told him the gun sold and moved on to the next guy...

For all you newbies out there just getting into this hobby don't let guys like that or what you see on these forums scare you off...

You do NOT need a 2k gun and a 1900.00 scope to enjoy airgunning....I know in the PCP section here you see a lot of FX and the like but that is NOT the only brand out there you have to have to shoot.

I picked up my AT-44 long about an hour ago and guess what....When I put a pellet in it and pulled the trigger it fired and that pellet hit the exact same spot my more expensive guns did on my 30 yard target....A sparrow or squirrel has NO idea if it got shot by a FX or DayState or a Hatsan or Benjamin, I promise you they won't not die if you don't use a RAW or Priest.

Any of you that are getting into this are spending your hard earned money on essentially a recreational product and do not let anyone tell you that your choice was wrong or not high end enough etc.

Anyone who needs advice on getting started do not hesitate to send me a private message....I will gladly answer any questions you may have and give you my number so we can talk through it if you like.

I had some amazing guys and gals help me out when I jumped in and want to pass that along to anyone who wants it.

End of the day get out and shoot and enjoy it....That is what it is all about!

If your in WA State let me know....Always looking for new folks to get out in the woods with and have a decent collection I will gladly let you try out and get a feel for to make an INFORMED decision on your next purchase!!

Be kind and be safe!

End rant....

P.S.- Mr. Michael (Moderator) do me a solid and let this soak here for a day or two if ya can....Not sure if it has to be moved or removed but if so give it a minute if possible.

Very well stated. I have had many air guns in the $1000 range and now have one in the near $2000 range. I also have many in the sub $500 range as well. I have a Hatsan Gladius that is very powerful and shoots one hole at air gun ranges if I do my part. The sport has something for everyone and all should be welcomed for what they want to do. Help with what someone asks about seems more useful than advice to "do what I believe".

Great post man . For guys like me when we got into Airguns the $2000 guns were like new Mercedes cars ...I was aware of them , but outta my league price wise . 

So for me tinkering , and modifying , and making a more budget friendly PCP or Springer my own just made it more fun . 

Guns or Optics , just because someone has a different budget doesn't mean they can't enjoy the sport every bit as much . The OP mentioned Michael ( who is a Great Guy ) in his post . And I would like to say something about him I think fits in here . 

Last year at EBR and RMAC both I watched Michael make sure and take time to visit with all the new shooters and take interest in their equipment no matter the brand or cost . The same can't always be said about others . There is no one I've seen who is so recognizable in the sport who takes the time to make all shooters on every level feel more comfortable. Lesson there for a lot of us ...

Thanks for offering your help, Mikelo! 😊 

🔶And thanks for bringing me (and some others?) back down to the carpet.

➔ Some of us really shouldn't "afford" some of the guns and scopes that are being discussed here as if their prices were pocket change to all of us. To a lot of us, I suspect, it's not just pocket change.... 

And there are kids in college, retirement, lay-offs, engine trouble, leaking roof....

🔶I personally get discontent with what I have after reading so much about how wonderful some $$$$ gun or other is, same for scopes. ➔ But when I look at what I DO have — it's awesome, I have to admit to myself! With my China guns and China scopes

▪I can hit quarry at 50y, 70, and futher out! 😄

▪Without the quarry (or anybody else) knowing that killing is in progress! 😄

▪Without having to get a gun-license from this anti-gun government (Peru)! 😄

▪For 3 cents a shot! 😄

🔶 I decide to be content and thankful with what I have and can afford. I wish the same for you.

Matthias

Man guys keep am coming!!

To any newbies poking around reach out to anyone you see here for advice (or anyone on the forum for that matter!!)....

I will admit I am guilty of posting guns I bought etc. etc. and I by NO means hope that comes off as bragging...Ha, I just get a bit excited to share sometimes!!!

Good work fellas....

Great discussion and posts!!

My first air gun was a that Crosman pump up pistol thing - it had about a 12" barrel and I saved up my money (I was about 14 in the mid 80's) to buy it at Best. You could trick it out with a shoulder stock but it lacked any means of attaching a scope. I bought a $20 scope attached it with hose clamps. It worked and was pretty accurate for the amount of abuse it got.

-john

To any newbies poking around reach out to anyone you see here for advice (or anyone on the forum for that matter!!)....

I will admit I am guilty of posting guns I bought etc. etc. and I by NO means hope that comes off as bragging...Ha, I just get a bit excited to share sometimes!!!

Good work fellas....

All of the guns need to be discussed. Things will happen with the least expensive as well as the most expensive and more knowledge is always going to be a good thing, even though it might get us in trouble sometimes.

Good work fellas....

There's nothing wrong with sharing what you have, it's natural to grow on the sport and get to know the limitations of what you have. I think it's human nature that we are always looking to improve or changing what we have for something else, without sometimes noticing that you already have something wonderful.

I feel related to this because I have another hobby, and that's photography and video making, there's always a new camera, and you think, ohh that other camera will give me the image I want, but no, 99% of the time you can do wonders with the camera you already have, it's how you use the equipment you have.

I think there's always a path to the learning process and I've seen people burning sometimes stages by going directly to something superior and that have tons of options but they don't really know how to use (in the photography world this is super common) but I think there's a lot of joy on mastering what you have, learning from there and the next natural step is wanting to improve based on your knowledge and jump into something that offers that stuff you are lacking and you know will make your life easy. 

As I said, most of this is human behavior and just be aware that the companies know about them and they exploit this to their advantage, that's how they can make money, that's why there's a version 2, version 3... and so on....