• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help selecting PCP HFT rifle

The LG110 is really easy to adjust power and fine tune speed using a knob to adjust transfer port? Opening. You can also pick the Jules FPE ahead of time when buying. Suggest watching a couple of YouTube videos. It is a heavier gun at least to me.
Great info, thanks. A few more questions if you don't mind: is the shroud around the barrel a moderator like with some of the other guns? If not, how loud is the gun? Is that black paddle next to the scope a fold out vision blocker for your left eye? If so, who makes it?

I have been shooting piston guns for many years now. I have been shooting a Maccari TX Mk2 and been shooting it very well but last year was ready to go to nationals but there was not a single Hunter Piston shooter registered. So last fall I was going to order a Raw but then a friend said he would sell me one. One of the best guns I have ever owned. This month I picked up a USFT in .20 and it is a very fine shooter so far. I will say that the USFT is more of an Open specific gun but I am working on that aspect. After shooting both and if I were going to buy one of the two I would buy the RAW TM 1000 again.
I would also like to add that a friend has a Daystate Wolverine and I have shot it some, although not in a competition but I would also consider one for HFT as well.
Hope you get something resolved soon.

Mark

I have been shooting piston guns for many years now. I have been shooting a Maccari TX Mk2 and been shooting it very well but last year was ready to go to nationals but there was not a single Hunter Piston shooter registered. So last fall I was going to order a Raw but then a friend said he would sell me one. One of the best guns I have ever owned. This month I picked up a USFT in .20 and it is a very fine shooter so far. I will say that the USFT is more of an Open specific gun but I am working on that aspect. After shooting both and if I were going to buy one of the two I would buy the RAW TM 1000 again.
I would also like to add that a friend has a Daystate Wolverine and I have shot it some, although not in a competition but I would also consider one for HFT as well.
Hope you get something resolved soon.

Mark
Good info thanks! It's definitely between the Steyr & RAW at the moment, once I get this mess with Pyramyd/Air Arms resolved I'll make my choice.

Great info, thanks. A few more questions if you don't mind: is the shroud around the barrel a moderator like with some of the other guns? If not, how loud is the gun? Is that black paddle next to the scope a fold out vision blocker for your left eye? If so, who makes it?
The Steyr’s typically have a 16.1 mm barrel in my case I attached a Rowan engineering slip on adapter to accommodate a 1/2” unf threaded adapter. The fold out piece is for holding my dope chart when I’m participating in field target events, you can find numerous types but mine is by MK Machining. Steyr’s and most pcp airguns can be loud and a moderator keeps it backyard friendly. A .177 pellet leaving the barrel at 890 fps can still make a good pop.

The Steyr’s typically have a 16.1 mm barrel in my case I attached a Rowan engineering slip on adapter to accommodate a 1/2” unf threaded adapter. The fold out piece is for holding my dope chart when I’m participating in field target events, you can find numerous types but mine is by MK Machining. Steyr’s and most pcp airguns can be loud and a moderator keeps it backyard friendly. A .177 pellet leaving the barrel at 890 fps can still make a good pop.
Yeah all the pcp's I've owned have had shrouded barrels, I worry a bit about the noise of a barrel without & I typically don't like a long barrel, ie. extra moderator added.

Yeah all the pcp's I've owned have had shrouded barrels, I worry a bit about the noise of a barrel without & I typically don't like a long barrel, ie. extra moderator added.
Thus the joy of a properly shrouded barrel.... big rat farts if done correctly. My LG100 Steyr with a Zasadny shroud is almost silent compared to my LG110 Steyr with the can on the end... of course i have some cans which make it quiet but they are big.
IMG_6109.JPG
r with the extension on the end.... of course the harder you push the pellet the louder things getS

Reactions: woogie_man
Thus the joy of a properly shrouded barrel.... big rat farts if done correctly. My LG100 Steyr with a Zasadny shroud is almost silent compared to my LG110 Steyr with the can on the end... of course i have some cans which make it quiet but they are big.View attachment 384520r with the extension on the end.... of course the harder you push the pellet the louder things getS
I see the Challenge on Pilkington's site has a similar shroud, from about halfway all the way forward, is that a moderating shroud? Are the wooden parts on this LG100 aftermarket, if so, by who?

I see the Challenge on Pilkington's site has a similar shroud, from about halfway all the way forward, is that a moderating shroud? Are the wooden parts on this LG100 aftermarket, if so, by who?
mine is a custom Alan Zasadny including his shroud, but i don't know about the piece on Pilkingtons site?

mine is a custom Alan Zasadny including his shroud, but i don't know about the piece on Pilkingtons site?
They only show one gun on their site now, aside from the Biathlon. It doesn't say LG110, it just says Challenge, available with mechanical or electronic trigger. That gun seems to have a half shroud like yours. Wondering if it's a weight or a moderator, I'll shoot them an email.

Well there BSAhogger, if Ashland is your main destination, you can contact Wayne to see what he has for sale as he has quite a collection available. Or, you could even rent a gun package from him!!! You still have options! There's also a match in Tacoma at TRRC on the 23rd? Of Sept. If you get a rig put together and need a trial run before heading South.

Bummer though about the AA.

Ok well I cannot put in words how disappointed I am right now. The 'repaired' rifle came in from Pyramyd, the bolt is seized in the breech block, almost impossible to cock the gun. The magazine won't go in either. I'm obviously just not destined to attend any of the shoots down in Ashland this year.
I just cannot believe this, major bummer.
That sucks

Well there BSAhogger, if Ashland is your main destination, you can contact Wayne to see what he has for sale as he has quite a collection available. Or, you could even rent a gun package from him!!! You still have options! There's also a match in Tacoma at TRRC on the 23rd? Of Sept. If you get a rig put together and need a trial run before heading South.

Bummer though about the AA.
I tell you I'm so put off right now I don't even want to think about options. Can't believe that I've been trying for over two months now to get a working gun out out of Pyramyd. All the usual corporate nonsense; own up, apologize... but don't help the customer out. If I look at all the 'refurbished' Air Arms guns for sale I can only imagine how many folk are in the same boat as me. I'll probably just stick a better scope on my TX & shoot that.

What’s the budget again?

For HFT just get a nice 177 rifle with sportster stock. I really like the crown with 380mm barrel for HFT. Light, comfortable, accurate and efficient.

I don’t like any of the bolt gun as they all have too heavy of a hammer/inefficient, or side lever only. Also don’t like long guns, only shooting 20fpe anyways. A Dreamline can do just as well too, that’s what I’m farting around with in WFTF class. Dreamline is half the price of a RAW and Redwolf.

What’s the budget again?

For HFT just get a nice 177 rifle with sportster stock. I really like the crown with 380mm barrel for HFT. Light, comfortable, accurate and efficient.

I don’t like any of the bolt gun as they all have too heavy of a hammer/inefficient, or side lever only. Also don’t like long guns, only shooting 20fpe anyways. A Dreamline can do just as well too, that’s what I’m farting around with in WFTF class. Dreamline is half the price of a RAW and Redwolf.
We'll have too agree to disagree on that. heavier / longer are more stable for most. As to brand and there success on the FT fields ... regional thing I'm sure.

Reactions: qball
What’s the budget again?

No budget constraints really, just want something that works, accurately, doesn't have POI shifts. It's between RAW & Steyr for now, once this mess with Air Arms gets cleared up one way or another.