• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help selecting PCP HFT rifle

• I need help in selecting a pcp rifle for HFT. I’ve collected air guns all my life & have always wanted to get into FT but couldn’t due to career pressure. This year I decided to take the plunge & I started researching guns. I’ve owned many Air Arms guns over the years (still have a TX200) so I naturally leaned that way. The HFT XTi50 looked good so I reached out to Pyramyd to see whether they would get them in but they just kept saying they didn’t know, eventually they recommended that I get a S510 XS Ultimate Sporter with a single shot tray from Rowan. Ordered the gun, ordered the tray (great product & service from Rowan), ordered a scope, ordered ammo. The gun came in & was broken: it shot a foot low at 20 yds, turret all the way up (tried two scopes). Contacted Pyramyd & got no reply for 4 days, eventually emailed AA in the UK & was immediately told that the breech was bad. They contacted Pyramyd on my behalf, long story short Pyramyd sent me what they termed a ‘new’ gun. That eventually came in after about 3 weeks with the to & from shipping, meaning I missed out on the event down in Ashland Oregon. New gun wouldn’t hold air for longer than a day. Again contacted Pyramyd, who again said they’d swap it for a new one. Again sent the gun back, didn’t hear anything for a week after they received it, reached out & was told that the guns are out of stock & hopefully they’d have one in over a month from now. Begged, pleaded, asked for a different gun, no help. SO, there’s another shoot in Ashland at the end of September, which I’d like to start practicing for & I’d like to get some advice on what to get since I’m now super leery of Air Arms (sadly) & Pyramyd. My requirements are the following:
  • More than 12ft/lbs , preferably around 16ft/lbs, that’s why I initially chose a S510 over the HFT500.
  • Not too long, I struggle with standing shots when the rifle is too long.
  • Adjustable cheek piece.
  • Adjustable butt pad.
  • Quick fill (this is why I don’t like any of the German/Austrian guns).
  • Single shot with large loading port.
  • Accessory rail for hamster.
  • No POI shifts, tried many many of the cheap guns over the years, never again.
  • Aluminum chassis & shroud style moderator would be nice as well.

Yes it’s expensive but you can get a prs single shot loader

If you do get a ghost call aoa cause they have them but I can’t find them on their site.
If you don’t like that i have a red wolf for sale!

Last edited:
Reactions: bsahogger
The trigger is much lower in relation to the breech than any other gun, red. there's a big gap between breech & trigger. It is just aesthetic & yes, what looks good to one doesn't look good to another. Anyways, I'm probably going to hold off until one of the German/Austrian companies comes up with something like the Walther LG400 but with quick fill port & some speed.

The want for an accessory rail is the killer requirement for many of the off the shelf guns on the market. If you drop that requirement, almost anything will work. If you are willing to put your own accessory rail into a stock, or simply screw your hamster to a stock, it opens more opportunities. Also, you intend to shoot hunter FT, and never shoot WFTF/Open? If so, consider you may not need a hamster. In hunter division, you cannot make any stock adjustments after the first record shot, that includes changing anything related to the hamster.

There are aftermarket stocks or accessories available to add accessory rails.

I am personally not a fan of the bullpup design for positional target shooting, which although I am sure the ghost, FX Impact, and other similar guns are accurate and great shooting guns, the design does not work for me.

Add your own rail to a wood stock, assuming there is enough stock available to do it. You will need to mill the stock to make this work, so might need to find someone with the right tools if you go this route. Here is a place to get a rail. https://freelandssports.com/product/anschutz-blank-rail-section-15/

If you can find them, the ACZ FT (CZ Aeron) stock for a FX Dreamline Classic has a rail on it. https://utahairguns.com/acz-ft-chassis-fx-dream-classic-streamline/ . Utah Air is currently out of stock on these, but seems like a nice stock.

If you like the FX Impact, this ARCA rail is similar to the UIT rail. https://utahairguns.com/kraford-lypt-fx-impact-arca-rail-gen-3/

Single shot loaders are available for many different guns from CARM Magazines. https://www.carm-magazines.com/carm-magazines.aspx

I recommend the RAW, either the TM or HM. I shot HFT with an HM1000 using magazines rather than fumbling around with single loading. There's no difference in accuracy IMO. Another good choice is the Daystate Red Wolf or even the Wolverine. More money than the RAW, though. Steyr? One of my friends shoots one and seems to have plenty of issue with it, especially leaks. Stay away from the tactical rifles.

Reactions: Motorhead
I recommend the RAW, either the TM or HM. I shot HFT with an HM1000 using magazines rather than fumbling around with single loading. There's no difference in accuracy IMO. Another good choice is the Daystate Red Wolf or even the Wolverine. More money than the RAW, though. Steyr? One of my friends shoots one and seems to have plenty of issue with it, especially leaks. Stay away from the tactical rifles.
Keep hearing good things about RAW(y)

The want for an accessory rail is the killer requirement for many of the off the shelf guns on the market. If you drop that requirement, almost anything will work. If you are willing to put your own accessory rail into a stock, or simply screw your hamster to a stock, it opens more opportunities. Also, you intend to shoot hunter FT, and never shoot WFTF/Open? If so, consider you may not need a hamster. In hunter division, you cannot make any stock adjustments after the first record shot, that includes changing anything related to the hamster.

There are aftermarket stocks or accessories available to add accessory rails.

I am personally not a fan of the bullpup design for positional target shooting, which although I am sure the ghost, FX Impact, and other similar guns are accurate and great shooting guns, the design does not work for me.

Add your own rail to a wood stock, assuming there is enough stock available to do it. You will need to mill the stock to make this work, so might need to find someone with the right tools if you go this route. Here is a place to get a rail. https://freelandssports.com/product/anschutz-blank-rail-section-15/

If you can find them, the ACZ FT (CZ Aeron) stock for a FX Dreamline Classic has a rail on it. https://utahairguns.com/acz-ft-chassis-fx-dream-classic-streamline/ . Utah Air is currently out of stock on these, but seems like a nice stock.

If you like the FX Impact, this ARCA rail is similar to the UIT rail. https://utahairguns.com/kraford-lypt-fx-impact-arca-rail-gen-3/

Single shot loaders are available for many different guns from CARM Magazines. https://www.carm-magazines.com/carm-magazines.aspx
Adding a rail is no big deal for me, I have a mill. I should have said "the ability to accept a rail", ie. enough forend real estate for one. "Almost anything will work" doesn't seem to be the case for me, hence my request for help here. When all my troubles started with Pyramyd/Air Arms I grabbed a Marauder F&T just so I could at least start practicing. Massive major extreme disaster. Constant POI shifts. I scrounged this forum & others for help & applied all the remedies, no luck whatsoever. Try as I may, spend as I may, POI kept shifting, despite the "off the shelf" option turning into a fully custom job. So yeah my foray into FT has been painful, really didn't anticipate the issues with AA & the frustration of dealing with Pyramyd almost had me abandon my ambitions of entering the sport, I got a Masterpiece chassis for my CZ457 with the intention of getting into the .22LR games.
Can't agree with you more about the bullpups, have never liked them.

So if you make it to Ashland you will see some USFTs... a lot of USFTs.

They are odd, but try one... and ask Wayne or Randy what they think about POI shifts.
Ooooph, definitely can't see one of those in my gun rack unfortunately. I'm sure they're good but as mentioned a few times before in this thread it is to a degree about aesthetics as well.

Reactions: thane