• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help Regal xl, streamline, or wildcat purchase

I am looking at getting a .22cal pcp possibly at the end of August and have it narrowed down to three choices. Fx wildcat, streamline, or daystate huntsman regal xl. I have been looking through the threads and read alot of good stuff about each and would love to hear some opionions from owners of these.

This will mainly be used for pesting out to 50 yards perhaps a bit further very rarely. I currently only have a pump, so it needs to be pump friendly. I ended up selling my Bobcat mk 2 .30 which was awesome but not very pump friendly after my plans to purchase compressor got canned due to other expenses.

I plan to purchase from AOA and have a huggett done as part of original purchase on whichever one I do get.

My likes: 
The compact size of wildcat which makes it more maneuverable.
The power wheel on the streamline to reduce power for close in pesting. 
The simpicity of the daystate as well as the wood stock and 3yr warrenty.

The wildcat would be the standard stock only to keep cost down, but probably go walnut or laminate for the streamline.

Questions:
Anyone install huma reg on the huntsman?
How does it effect accuracy and power?
Hugget shroud and moderator vs factory installed one on huntsman?

Any other things to concider on these rifles?

Thanks in advance.

Here's the rub regarding pump friendly...
All the rifles you mentioned fill up to ~3000 psi or more. It's harder to use a pump at these higher pressures. I'm not saying that it isn't possible, it just might be more work than you'd like it to be. 
The other piece to consider is the size of the tank on all of them. Not only are you going for the high pressure but, you're also filling a large volume. Compere it to something like the Independence. It has a very small reservoir. It also has a very small shot count ~7. So, topping off the rifle after those 7 shots only takes about 21 pumps. 
Setting that aside....
All of the rifles you have mentioned are going to do well for you. 
Your likes list highlighted the pro's of each rifle nicely and I can only add on to what you've already pointed out. 
WC is accurate, very lightweight, easy to load and use, comfortable, carries well, etc.
The power wheel on the Streamline might be a deciding factor for you if you plan on sticking with the pump. Shooting at low power will allow you to enjoy many many more shots after the effort of filling. 
The Huntsman comes with the quality you'd expect from a Daystate, like you mentioned. Having not owned one, I can't really say much more other than what I've read/heard. It's a good rifle. They're all good rifles that you'd be happy with. 
Consider that the WC is a bullpup. It can be a slightly different shooting style than shooting a traditional rifle. 

@Bogey47 - If you're also sticking with a pump, then a .25 cal is going to really give you a workout! It'll suck down your air. On the bright side, you're cardio output will increase and you'll build muscle. 

Happy shopping!
Tom

Dave, 
I recently purchased a Huntsman Regal XL myself in the last few weeks and am absolutely blown away by the rifle. Everything you read about the rifle on the forums is spot on accurate. All of the guns you mentioned were in the running against the Regal for me too. I also included the Air Arms S510 on my list too. In the end I choose the Daystate because of the classic rifle styling it has. I too was worried that it wasn't regulated, but throw that worry away. I get about 45-50 per fill and I think that's pretty good considering the size of the air tube. One of the biggest deciding factors for me was the overwhelming reviews I read on the Huntsmans heirloom quality. It really is a stunningly beautiful piece of craftsmanship. I lust like looking at it as much as I like shooting it. I'm shooting 3/8 to 5/8 inch groups at 50 yards with JSB 18.3 grain heavies. Just do like everyone here will tell you, clean the crap out of the barrel before you shoot it! It makes a huge difference in accuracy when you start with a clean barrel.
The only two critiques I have are on the cocking effort of the bolt and the factory moderator. The factory moderater is just for show in my opinion. It does little to nothing as far as sound dampening and I replaced it shortly after receiving the rifle. I went with a DonnyFl Sumo and was blown away once again on the build quality and overwhelming sound dampening. It's incredibly effective and Donny is such a gentleman I will always buy his moderators going forward. My second critique is the bolt cocking effort is the hardest on any air rifle I own. I am going to do some research too see if there is something I can do to lighten that up a bit. Like Tom mentioned above, hand pumping is rough at 3000 psi! I did it too when I first got into PCP's and I bought an air tank a few months later and don't regret it. The bottom line is you have a fine line up of rifles you are considering. Just check off the things that you value the most and none on your list will disappoint you. Let us know what you decide.

Fwiw, I own a Wildcat, but would now rather have a Streamline as the bullpup thing is a bit overblown, imo. The WC shoulders weird and requires tall rings if you don't want to crane your neck way down to the scope. However, I've read that not all scopes will clear the Streamline mags without tall rings either, so you'll have to do some careful research and ask around about various combos before making a choice. 

Reactions: FunGun
I have a streamline with a DonnyFL moderator (Sumo) and I just love this combo. This is such an easy gun to carry as compared to the Bobcat, which I love but for other reasons. The Huggett on the Bobcat does a good job but the DonnyFL on the streamline is pretty darn awesome. I like the action of the streamline, the trigger is fantastic, I like everything about it. The accuracy is incredible. It is on par with the Bobcat and the Vulcan that I have. Unless you just really want a bullpup, I would go with the FX streamline, it is well worth the money for the features. Now with that said, it is loud without the moderator. The bobcat will bark but the streamline will ring your ears without the moderator. With the moderator it is super sweet.
I put the FX no limit rings on mine with a hawke tactical 42mm objective and everything clears fine with rings fully seated at the lowest position. Did I mention this gun is light weight, and supper easy to carry? Good luck and enjoy the process of figuring out what works for you. keep us posted.

PS I would have to agree with Mousefart's post above about the shouldering of the wildcat, I had the same issue of having to cant my head to get lined up with the scope. The wildcat is a nice light gun as well and would be easy to carry if it fits your build.

Dave. You've chosen some great guns to choose from. I've had the Streamline and still have the wildcat. Haven't owned a regal but only hear good about them. I sold my 22 Streamline only because it wasn't my cup of tea. It was a little on the loud side and I found it a little long for my liking with a hugget. The power wheel works great and would be of good use to you where you are pumping. The 22 Wildcat of all the Airgun's I've owned is my all time favorite. It's my go to gun. It just fits me. Mine has well over 20K rounds through it, been trouble free and still amazes me with its accuracy. I've bought all my Airgun's from AOA and they have been golden to work with. If you do decide on the wildcat you might consider buying the hugget from Penchetta. That way it won't be permanently attached. I would also suggest getting the 25 cal hugget. They are the same size except for the hole in the middle. I have both and can't tell any difference in the sound. Should you ever move up to a 25 cal, you'll already have it. Good luck with your decision. I believe in the end you will end up with a tank or compressor because these guns are so much fun to shoot. Sylvan

thees'e guys are unbelievable .their willing to help and knowledge is second to none,the only thing to add is warranty ,the Daystate is 3 years , the others are not, all thees'e choices fill close to your bobcat ,,well the regal maybe a lil less. so your still in the same boat, now think of how fun it is to shoot your bobcat,,and how much more fun it would be not to have to try to pump it up in between shooting sessions,you should concentrate on a tank or compressor ,,,,,then you can swap your gun, with ten times the fun,good luck pat

I havent shot my streamline .22 to much but if your going to pump then fx for sure. Much more frugal with air than a daystate. The power wheel is great. I havent actually used it at full blast much since i mainly use it in my backgarden 10-20 meters and at that range one or two speed work well. I usually plink out the window a bit when im bored and im really amazed each time on how frugal it is with air. Endless shots on one power and a TON on 2. 

That said you need to budget a moderator for it because it does need one.

I will throw in a curve ball since you said hand pump and pesting to 50 yards. I would suggest also considering the .177 version of the wildcat in synthetic. It will be lighter, shorter, quieter (assume huggett on all 3), more maneuverable, as accurate, higher shot count, and hand pump friendly.

I own the wildcat in both .22 and .177 both with Huggett Belita and regular, the regal xl in .22 with full huggett shroud and moderator (big bux). I have a review recently on the wildcat .177 that includes significant data. I have shot the streamline in .22 with huggett for an afternoon but don't own one.

Factors:
  • The Wildcat .177 when filled to 230 bar will shoot more than 96 rounds per fill (and a partial mag after). I just filled to 200 bar this morning and shot 80 on the reg (10 mags) plus 3 more shots on the reg (no point in partial mag to me). 200 bar should be very doable with a hand pump topping off a 230cc cylinder. By contrast, with my .22 wildcat, I get 65 shots at 230bar fill and 39 on a 200bar fill on the reg. (Also measured today)
  • The wildcat is shooting AA and JSB 10.34gr at 19.8 fpe or 928 fps. That is still a tad over 12fpe at 50 yards. By comparison, my .22 wildcat shoots JSB 18gr at 31.7 fpe which is just over 22 fpe at 50 yards.
  • At 50 yards, very easy to pull off 1/2 inch groups with no wind. Both .177 and .22 wildcats.
  • The .177 AA or JSB Heavies are about $4 cheaper per 500 Ct tin than 16 or 18gr .22 from AA or JSB. These will shoot out to 100 yards at just less than 1.5 inch for me at Dawn with no wind.
  • The gun also likes the H&N Barracuda 10.65gr and the Crosman 10.5gr Ultra Magnum domes. Both shoot well and hold 1.5 inch out to 90 yards. The Crosmans are a sweet bonus at only $9.00 per 500 Ct tin and can be had several times per year from PA with buy 3 get one free, plus 10% off, plus free shipping. Hard to get cheaper plinking or pesting than that. Yeah call me frugal.
  • The polymags fit and despite their hot 1001 fps, shoot out to 75 yards at 1.5 inch with stability. Laser one hole accurate to 40 yards.
  • Have not tried the Barracuda hunter extremes in this yet but hopeful.
  • Currently holds crown for quietest PCP I own of 14. With huggett, very tiny output sound, and almost no discernible mechanical sound.
Streamline - I don't have extensive data or experience with it but most people seem happy with theirs. I suspect the performance data and measurements are very close to the Wildcats in .177 or .22. So a toss up with added benefit of power adjuster vs short light, maneuverable form factor of wildcat.

Regal XL .22 - mine performs best at 220 bar fill for 40 shots of JSB 18gr. Average 865fps or 30fpe. In a classic traditional sense, very beautiful high quality wood and fit and finish. I love this gun. Accurate and repeatable out to 100yards if you know your power curve. Somewhat loud with OEM shroud and LDC. Tolerable with full hugger shroud and LDC. I would call this "backyard friendly" but NOT backyard stealth. The mechanical sound of the regal is pretty loud and will easily give you away beyond 50 yards.

sorry for the long post, just wanted to provide you some real world info to consider and support your decision. Honestly, I don't think you'd go wrong with any of your stated choices.

Reactions: Dave
Thanks for all the info so far!

I am not to worried about the air cylinder size and pressure of these guns for use with pump. I agree that it takes a while and is a workout, but not near as bad as the 470cc Bobcat tank to 250bar. Yes, I pumped this gun for awhile. It just makes you appreciate each shot more, and don't take questionable shots. I honestly don't put that many pellets through my marauder, which I have pumped since day one. I think getting a higher end gun will push me to get a tank and compressor setup, as the closest shop is 1 hr away. 

For those with the Donnyfl Sumo, how is it compaired to the Huggett moderator? 

What are your criteria for LDC? And it would also depend on which specific gun. Essentially, important criteria include quiet, effect on accuracy/poi, length, weight, aesthetics, maintenance/cleaning.

when I say which gun - example the sumo is quieter on a .22 wildcat vs a huggett belita or regular size but can be overkill for a light small bullpup in terms of weight and length. If all out quiet is your only goal - then sumo. If quiet enough and length and weight factors in, my choices would be belita first, regular huggett, then sumo.

my frame of reference for "quiet enough" = I have neighbors much less than 20 yards to each side of me. (Burbs)

On a class 1 audiophile grade calibrated mic using C weighting and fast response for quick transient peaks from 1 meter in front and rear of wildcat .22 45 degrees off axis averaged over 8 shots each - Sumo = 60.5 dB Regular Huggett = 62.1 dB and Belita = 64.3 dB. Also, the Sumo's sound signature registers a full octave lower on frequency scale - e.g. Lower Hz Frequency band less sensitive for humans.

You could mount up a Sumo to a Regal and the output noise would be quiet but it will not mask that mechanical pinging sound which is pretty loud.

I would also add the S510 to the list. I have both the S510 in a .22 Carbine and the Streamline in .25. Both of these are like cheating when it comes to accuracy. I regulated the S510 and it's every bit as good as the streamline out to 75yds. The Streamline is good to 100yds if you do your part.

Both are high quality, high precision rifles.

Having said that, the S510 is my goto gun. It just feels a better in my hands. They are equal in so many ways it's nothing I can put my finger on. Yea, pretty subjective.

I plunked a nutter right behind the ear a while back, 50yds and freestanding with the S510. Put the cross hairs on his head, pulled trigger and he fell over. Clean.

I've got Athlon Argos on both of them and it's a fantastic scope. Tried the top of the line Hawke and couldn't return it fast enough, awful.

Regulating the S510 is easy, tuning is a pita. The FX is how it came out of the box. I can only imagine that AA will have a S520 (or some such thing) that's regulated out of the box soon.

Magazines, the FX loads funky, but you get used to it, it will stop you when it's empty. The AA loads easy, but you can keep going when empty.
The FX goes 4 mags, the S510, 3. The FX makes a ringing sound when it's falling off the reg, by design? Lets you know when you need to charge.

Tough call.

Pumping...just plan to get a tank. Pumping would take all the fun out of this.

So I have narrowed it down to either the streamline or wildcat. I like the Huntsman, and may purchase one down the line but for this purchase it got bumped. I am considering the compactness of the wildcat vs the adjustability of the streamline. The wildcat with a moderator like either donnyfl sumo or Huggett will not be too lengthy, while the streamline allows for a more backyard friendly power level. I have three more weeks till I make my final decision, which means reading more reviews and watching more videos to see what I think is the best fit for me.