• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help please, pellets won't fit

Hi guys, i'm 63 living in the Philippines and recently felt the need to do a bit of garden plinking, for nostalgic reasons I managed to
acquire a Webley tempest, Now made in turkey, The shop I bought it from is a long way away so I can't ask them also the return policy here is non existent

, ​The problem is I can't get pellets to fit, I virtually got to drive them in, I did manage to contact the shop and they said I can't use locally made pellets, I have measured the pellets and they're bang on size for 22, (5.5), As I haven't yet been able to source imported pellets can anyone tell me if they are undersized and therefore will fit?.
Also should there be a lead in to load the pellet ?, my barrel seems to be same size and rifled all the way ?, ​Just in case it's a manufacturing problem,
Thanking you in anticipation, Nick

Nick,
5.5... what? 
What I mean is, are they 5.50, 5.51, 5.52, 5.53, 5.54... etc. 
The reason I ask is because I have a pellet sizer that I don't use. It sizes pellets to 5.52. I'm sure we could work out something if you think it would work for you. 
I have no experience with the rifle you are shooting so, unfortunately, I can't help you in that respect. 
Tom

the local .22 pellets are larger than pellets that are used in the states. they won't fit regular airgun barrels. likewise jsb , crosman etc pellets won't even get scratched in a local made barrel when you push one through. i've seen some air rifles here that can also shoot .22 rimfire out of the same gun. i'm going to have a couple local barrels fitted for some of my guns so i can shoot local pellets as well. the super zeros here are pretty decent. the one guy i met is going to try choking some barrels after i showed him a simple way to do it. the .177 pellets here work in our barrels, but not that many people here have guns with .177 barrels.

peace
kj

"Do you know if barrels are normally relieved to take the pellet, mine seems to be the same size all the way!,"
My HW95 and Beeman R9 both are a bit larger than the bore for loading the pellet. While both my guns are .177 cal and both are from HW they do have a different fit when loading pellets. My several years old .177 R9 has a larger leade than my newer HW95 and I can load 7.9 grain boxed Crosman Premiers straight from the 1250 count box. The HW95 on the other hand is still accurate shooting Premiers from the box but the loading finger will be sore after a shooting session.

What I did was to make a pellet sizer that reduces the Premier pellet head from about 4.54-4.55mm to 4.48mm. The pellets sized to 4.48mm are very accurate from the HW95 and I don't get "sore finger syndrome" with them.

A sketch and a couple pics of my home made pellet head sizer...........

I actually made two sizers, one for 4.48mm heads and one for 4.52mm heads.........

For my pellet sizing I only wanted the heads sized and the skirts expanded a bit and "rounded" so I drop the pellet into the die, push the head through with the ram, then push the sized pellet back out of the die with my finger. Takes about 5 seconds per pellet for the sizing operation and I do this while reading airgun forums or watching YouTube videos.

hi ed,
the pellets made here would have to be sized to fit a normal barrel. most airguns here are made by individuals all over the islands. the barrels they make are oversized and can fit rimfire ammo. regular pellets just drop through the barrels that are made here. some barrel makers are just starting to produce barrels that fit regular pellets, because their becoming more available as time goes on and people here get more serious about shooting. things are a bit different here in the 3rd world. lol. when i moved here i sent about 120,000 pellets ahead .lol

some intresting guns here though, and some guys are starting to make some really nice stuff.

peace
kj