• The Airgun Nation App is ready for iOS users! It should be available for Android users any minute! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

N/A Help picking a 177 rifle

I’m looking for a PCP rifle for plinking. We have steel targets in our pasture at 50 and 100 yards. We have a 22 and a 25 PCP but I would like to get a 177. Budget is $400 or less obviously lol. Right now I’m stuck between the Air Venturi Avenger or the JTS Airacuda. Anyone have an opinion either way or hands on with both? Or something similar that I should consider?

My main reason for wanting 177 is for the shot to fill ratio. I don’t mind going 22 if I can get 60+ shots
Plenty of 22's out there that get 60+ on a fill....
If you prefer 22 then save your coin a bit longer and get a 22. Otherwise you won't be happy.
Not beating up on the 177 ... I've been shooting a 177 (slugs) a lot here lately for pest control and hunting small game and love it. I am more of a 22 guy though and own more in that caliber than the others.

I have a .25 Dreamline and bought an Avenger .177 for the plink per fill as a scuba fill is a hassle for me. I've had .22's but nothing uses less are than a .177. It's very accurate and has plenty of power to shoot heavier pellets if needed. I turned mine all the way down and still manages 940 ish with light pellets. I shoot under 50 yards . For distance, slugs have a much better BC. I don't know if these are accurate with slugs though.

if ur hand pumping i can see it maybe being a concern, otherwise get an old tank just to tether off of and fill it to 3k, bet you could get a 500ct tin out of it anyway lol .. but .177 really doesnt shoot well past 50, 55 using pellets .. even .22 is going to need a good amount of push behind it to ding things good out to 75 and beyond .. my cayden .22 shooting 14.3 pellets at ~970fps can pop chicken eggs at 80y all day long and im sure will do 100 ok, but gonna use a bit of air working that kind of magic .. if it was a long session, yeah id tether it to a 3k charged tank