• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help.... pellet drop

Hey guys I'm looking for some help. I entered some information in a couple different pellet drop calculators I'm not confident in my findings. At a hundred yards a 50 grain pellet seems only drop 1/2 inch more than a 34 grain pellet and that doesn't seem right. 

.25 cal. 33.95 gr. BC. 046. 890fps .30 cal. 50.15 gr. BC .053. 890fps

Too lazy to run it but the BCs are almost the same. The muzzle velocity is the same. The trajectories will be almost identical. It's all about BC and muzzle velocity (for the most part).

Hey guys I'm looking for some help. I entered some information in a couple different pellet drop calculators I'm not confident in my findings. At a hundred yards a 50 grain pellet seems only drop 1/2 inch more than a 34 grain pellet and that doesn't seem right. 

Too lazy to run it but the BCs are almost the same. The muzzle velocity is the same. The trajectories will be almost identical. It's all about BC and muzzle velocity (for the most part).

This is true, or, perhaps more intuitive: it's about time in flight. Your pellets, whatever caliber, whatever weight, whatever BC, all fall at the same rate of ~9.8m/s^2 (that's the acceleration of gravity)(1). Two projectiles will fall exactly the same distance in the same amount of time. If they are traveling at the same velocity(2), they'll have moved forward the same amount as well. BC is a measure of how drag affects 'velocity'(2) - a higher BC means less affect from drag. 

The reason your simulation looks so 'off' is that typically when you switch to the heavier pellet, you''ll be driving it at a lower velocity (this will be automatic if you're using the same gun with the same settings). In other words, in your comparison significantly more energy is being used to launch the heavier pellet at the same velocity. If the energy is the same, the heavier pellet will drop significantly more because it will be traveling slower. 

Hope that makes sense.

GsT

(1) Ignoring some *tiny* tertiary effects.

(2) Really (negative)acceleration - "velocity" is grossly misused in general conversation. The lack of distinction makes explaining and understanding more difficult, imo.

Edit: made more clearerer...

Thanks for the info guys. My name up on the Delta Wolf and was trying to decide between. 25 and .30. I mostly hunt and shoot target occasionally. Since pellet drop is almost same at a 100 yds, I think I'm gonna go with the .30 cal. 50 grains. Should be a freakn hammer! If you have any thoughts between the 2 calibers would love to hear them. Thanks again guys

The 30 IS an absolute hammer..... I found the 25 MUCH easier to shoot accurately, though. Both have been about equal for group size but the 30 is actual WORK for me to do as well as normal for the 25.

That plus the cost difference for pellets would mean 25 for me.

I still haven't spent time testing slugs so don't have any info there, but the barrel profiles are the same as the Red Wolf and that will shoot slugs well in both calibers.

Good luck with your choice ,

Bob

Ok I’m new to this so help me out. Both projectiles are launched at the same speed. The 30 cal has a better BC so why does it hit lower?? I would think in this case the 25 would hit lower?? I thought BC , in simple terms was how fast a bullet lost speed? I know the 30 will have more energy at 100 yards, but it should have more speed also considering the BC.

If it has more speed it should hit higher because it took less time to get to target . Help.

Hmmmm, it seemed like the OP wanted help figuring out pellet drop between .25 and .30, and the discussion moved into a detailed theory type discussion that was starting to hijack the thread. So it was split off so that discussion didn’t take over the OPs topic. Even easier to understand than the weather channel... ;)