• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help needed regarding carrying airguns from Seattle to NY and then out of US

In fact one of my friends has to pick two airguns from Seattle and then along with guns he has to fly to NY. Later after some days he has to bring these pcp airguns out of US.

He has to fly from NY while leaving US.

Since we don't know the laws and regulations of various states of US, I request the forum members who could advice us in this respect.

Will there be any issues for flying with pcps from Seattle to NY?

Will there be any issues for flying from NY to some other country while keeping airguns in checked in baggage in dismantled state?

Thanks dears

I wait for helpful input.

Regards,

Umair Bhaur 

I would call TSA and ask where you can find printed rules and regulations. I do not believe you can put any kind of weapon in your baggage. It must be de gassed and separate from ammo in a lockable container only used for firearms. Don't just wing it and ask people on here. We all have good intentions but it must be correct or you will get in big trouble and probably lose your airgun. Also make sure the country you are going to is ok with you showing up with guns. Good luck

NJ is crazy strict on guns. Even airguns. If I had to guess my answer would be don't do it. But call the NJ state police and ask. You are risking your freedom on strangers advice. Call and get the info first hand from the person who will arrest you when you follow the wrong advice.

Wajie316 did the TSA say it was ok to put your air rifle in your checked in baggage like Mubhaur said earlier??? I hope you are reading the rules. Especially this time of the year the screeners will be extra cautious. That doesn't sound good.

Mubhaur posted this thread on my behalf actually. This is the response that i got from Tsa:Thank you for contacting the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Contact Center.

Airsoft guns (e.g. pellet guns) without CO2 cartridges are allowed in checked baggage. CO2 cartridges are not permitted. TSA does not consider airsoft guns to be firearms.

Guns of any type, including airsoft guns, are prohibited in carry-on bags. These may be mistaken for real weapons in the x-ray machine or by a fellow passenger and have the ability to cause the same level of concern. In addition, screening checkpoints may be impacted or closed if an airsoft gun is detected in the x-ray machine. 

While not required, we recommend that you place your airsoft gun in a hard-sided, locked case. If a Transportation Security Officer discovers an airsoft gun during checked baggage screening and believes it is real, the item will be treated as such until law enforcement advises otherwise.

For travel tips and information about our screening procedures and what you can bring, please visit www.tsa.gov/travel.

All firearms transported into the State of New Jersey:
  • Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
  • The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

"mubhaur"Can you please guide me that which states have airgun friendly law? In which states the airgun can be shipped to?
In which states I will not need a licence to keep an airgun?

thanks.

these questions are critical

@mubhaur @wajie316

Guys,

Ive figured out what you are intending to do. All legal & fine as long as you follow US local State & Federal Laws etc... My suggestion is to cancel your New Jersey airport portion back to your home country (never mind if you get no refund). Or, re-route at extra charge $, or buy a new plane tick from Seattle to ANOTHER state, or major airport other than New Jersey - which flies to your home country.

Point is- if you get arrested in NJ with no paperwork for the airgun - you will cry for being such an idiot- when you could have cancelled the NJ/Newark flight - and taken a flight instead from an airgun friendly state at extra $$ cost; how much is your freedom worth to you & spend time in a US prison ????

Just an example: https://www.kayak.com/flight-routes/Washington-Dulles-Intl-IAD/Karachi-Quaid-E-Azam-Intl-KHI

PS: State of Virginia - I have no idea how friendly they are / laws regarding air rifles for Dulles International Airport - do your "homework" to see see which State and flights you can catch..

Note: We all like to assist airgunners but - education, research, and best common sense decision is left to you...whatever happens /doesnt happen to you - is only because of YOUR informed decisions and making correct /incorrect choices.

Best of Luck.

"wajie316"Mubhaur posted this thread on my behalf actually. This is the response that i got from Tsa:Thank you for contacting the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Contact Center.

Airsoft guns (e.g. pellet guns) without CO2 cartridges are allowed in checked baggage. CO2 cartridges are not permitted. TSA does not consider airsoft guns to be firearms.

Guns of any type, including airsoft guns, are prohibited in carry-on bags. These may be mistaken for real weapons in the x-ray machine or by a fellow passenger and have the ability to cause the same level of concern. In addition, screening checkpoints may be impacted or closed if an airsoft gun is detected in the x-ray machine. 

While not required, we recommend that you place your airsoft gun in a hard-sided, locked case. If a Transportation Security Officer discovers an airsoft gun during checked baggage screening and believes it is real, the item will be treated as such until law enforcement advises otherwise.

For travel tips and information about our screening procedures and what you can bring, please visit www.tsa.gov/travel.

Do you honestly think that a print out email you show to a US Police Officer in New Jersey will let you off the hook ? Seriously, dont be a fool...as others have said - airguns in NJ are considered Fire Arms...you will be arrested and thrown in prison; you would only have yourself to blame for the predicament. Obey US Federal & Local laws - do more research, and if you have to- lose or cancel your flight $ from New Jersey with no refund - accept that option, and buy a new plane ticket from another Airport in another State.