• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help needed in selecting my first PCP gun.

FWIW I started out with a Crosman Prod with the goal of hunting pigeons on a large commercial dairy farm. It worked great but I was limited to shots out to about 40 yds and I wanted to reach out a bit further. Next I bought a .22 Streamline and this has been my main hunting rifle this year. The riffle is a laser and I have taken pigeons out to 91 yards off hand. The only drawback is it’s MUCH heavier than my little Prod, which I missed so I been shopping for a bull pup to hunt with. I had a WC MKII for a week but quickly learned it had too much power and shot through the steel roofed dairy barns which the owner didn’t appreciate. I needed the easily adjustable power of the Dreamline which the WC didn’t have so I returned it and the dealer ordered a Dreampup for me which I am due to pick up this week. I was going to pick it up last week but they were unable to easily tune it to 765 FPS with the TP power adjuster like my Dreamline was able to do. They had to tweak the HS and Reg to get it tuned for me. I have high expectations for it so only time will tell. Good luck on your quest.

I have a Vulcan bullpup in 25 and a Nova Liberty in 22. They are totally different guns in a totally different price range. I love the Vulcan. Great trigger, short, reasonably light and the 25 caliber hits much harder than the Liberty in 22. I find the 25 caliber pellets easier to load and I have a lot less damage on the skirts because of there weight. I get about 45 good shots before it goes off the regulator. Now the Liberty in 22 is still light, much longer and the trigger is not nearly as nice. Its accurate, reliable, I get up to 100 shots if I fill it to 300 bar. It also costs about $1000 less but does not come in 25.

I would take the Vulcan bullpup any day over the Liberty but for the price, the Liberty is an awesome deal. I prefer the bullpups over traditional rifles but as some said, you do need to get used to them but I find them much easier to shoot offhand and I have no problems shooting them off a bipod. What you really need to think about filling it. IIt can cost as much or more that rifle you buy if you don't live near a scuba shop. I have a yong heng compressor that works well but I do no fill my Vulcan with it. Maybe I'm nuts but I would hate to get water or oil in the vulcan. I had a bullboss and it filled it with no problem. The Liberty costs a little more than the compressor. I can live with water or a little oil in the Liberty but not he Vulcan. Filling the rifles are a big expense just for a nice tank but if you need a compressor that will cost you alot of up front costs. If you never had a PCP you might want to consider a cheaper but reliable rifle and see how you like them. The liberty is great and Hatsan makes some very reasonably priced guns especially if you check there refurbished units they sell from there website. If you fall in love with it, then spend a grand or more or something nicer. Thats just my 2 cents. Either way, buy what you want and have some fun.

If you are just plinking stay with the .22 but if you are hunting and shooting out to 100 yards, the .25 will carry better with pellets. Matt dubber has some interesting data shooting .22 slugs but as a Newb, I would stick to pellets. One thing that FX has over other rifles is that you can easily change a caliber on some of their rifles (Crown, Impact, and Dreamline). What you will find is that there is no real "all around gun" and most likely you will be buying more than one gun. Very few guys on this forum have just one air rifle. The Crown/Impact may be a great start as it upgrades to a .25 full power. The Dreamline has some limitation in .25. If this is a new first air rifle for you I may suggest the Streamline in .25. Great value, accurate, good shot count, and great gun to keep as a back-up if and when you up-grade. 

Cheap ammo is a great benfit to air rifles, the down side is the cost of a tank and compressor to start ..........and repairs (if you can't do your own)

This forum and its members are great! Lots of great advice and my newb questions were answered with thoughtful responses. As luck would have it, I live not too far from RM100guy and he graciously invited me to try out several of his pcp guns. This was great for me to get a feel for different styles and to gain way more knowledge in a couple hours than weeks of forum reading. So, I thought it would be good for others that find this thread if I share some of my findings.

I was able to shoot the following: Daystate Huntsman Regal in .177, FX Streamline in .22, and a .22 and .25 FX Wildcat mk1. The Daystate was a very nice gun and I liked the higher comb stock. I preferred the cocking action of the FX though. I could easily own one of these, but in .22. The .177 is more wind sensitive than I am wanting. I personally found the two bullpup Wildcats easier to shoot offhand than the longer Daystate and Streamline. While I am not winning any weightlifting competitions, do have a Walther LGR 10M gun with a weighted barrel that I can shoot OK. I found it just a bit easier to steady the bullpup offhand. I know this is somewhat counter to common thought, but balance was just a little better for me. I had no issues bench shooting them, but I can see how a long gun is easier to get behind. The star, for me, was the Streamline. It has the feel of a traditional rifle, which I have many of, a side cocking lever, and the 3 power settings makes a lot of sense for my needs. Low power for up close tree rat duty and high power for playing at 100yds. All guns were able to put them close to 1 MOA in RM100guy's hands. I was having a little more trouble with the wind. I am pretty sure if there was a Streamline-priced (and quality) bullpup with 3 power settings or similarly easy power adjustment, that would be the winner for me.

Thanks again to the forum and RM100guy!

If you are just plinking stay with the .22 but if you are hunting and shooting out to 100 yards, the .25 will carry better with pellets. Matt dubber has some interesting data shooting .22 slugs but as a Newb, I would stick to pellets. One thing that FX has over other rifles is that you can easily change a caliber on some of their rifles (Crown, Impact, and Dreamline). What you will find is that there is no real "all around gun" and most likely you will be buying more than one gun. Very few guys on this forum have just one air rifle. The Crown/Impact may be a great start as it upgrades to a .25 full power. The Dreamline has some limitation in .25. If this is a new first air rifle for you I may suggest the Streamline in .25. Great value, accurate, good shot count, and great gun to keep as a back-up if and when you up-grade. 

Cheap ammo is a great benfit to air rifles, the down side is the cost of a tank and compressor to start ..........and repairs (if you can't do your own)

you said the dreamline has limitations in 25? what are the limitation you speak of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB2FC9xACZM

I was thoroughly surprised by the accuracy on this gun. The gauntlets also have a lot of accuracy for their super low price point. I wanted adjustability, flexibility, and multiple caliber options, so my pcp rifle is a fx crown. I do have other pcp's and rifles, just not other pcp rifles.

Several things to consider. Weight, size, air capacity, magazine capacity. Tune-ability, and ease of doing so. I got sold on the crown because the ease and access of controls for port, hammer, regulator. AND the real tipping point was their bottles have their own self sealing valve system. I have a 480 and 580 cc bottle, both full, and can be swapped in seconds.

Another thing to consider... Older fxs or daystates (among other reputable brands) are hard to go wrong on, and some run at lower pressure. Which would be easier to hand pump if you opt to.

Here is one that may fit the bill for you.

http://www.airguns.net/classifieds/show_ad.php?adNum=180897&adSort=&StartingAd=100&NumberOfPages=4