• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help needed in selecting my first PCP gun.

Hi gang,

I have been a silent observer here for a while and tried to collect some information to help my decision, but I think it is time for me to add some specifics and get buying.

I have several powder burners and I highly appreciate an accurate gun (like 1/2MOA). I understand from reading here that 1 MOA is a pretty good accomplishment even at 50yds due to wind and other factors. Let's say for now I would like to achieve in the upper 25% of what is possible with an air rifle. I will do some occasional pest control, but I have no specific need to put down a coyote at 100yds or anything like that. I have the space to shoot 100yds, but I realize that is at the upper end of what is reasonable to shoot without being a very good shot with very good equipment. My daughter will be getting a 22lr soon and I thought it would be fun to have a PCP gun to shoot with her at 50-100yds or so. I have a HW77 in .177 now, and enjoy shooting it, but the accuracy at ranges of 30+ yds is unsatisfying. I also have a Walther LGR, so I can lower the distance some and be as accurate as I am capable, but again, I would like a little more distance and wind bucking.

What caliber do you recommend? I was leaning toward .22 - decent on air, but more wind bucking than .177. I will do a lot of bench shooting, but I do like the handiness of a bullpup, anything to consider here? I don't think I would be happy with a standard rifle length gun with a lcd scabbed onto the end. Any manufacturer/gun/features inherently more accurate than others? I would like something that is quiet. Budget is open, but let's say sub $1000-ish and I love the value of pre-owned. I also have to figure out a way to fill the gun, so I think for now FX impacts and $1500 pumps are out of the running. 

Anything else I need to know would be greatly appreciated,

Ben

thanks for the suggestions, guys. I have read a bit that the FX guns can be a bit delicate. Is the wildcat subject to this as well? And what does that really even mean? I can't say I have read any issues with the FX stuff just falling apart. The wildcat was actually one I had honed in on, so I am glad to hear it recommended. 

The veteran looks like it fits the bill nicely as well.

Any thoughts on caliber?

50 to 100 yds .accurate and under $1000...how are you going to fill it with air,do you already have a good scope for it?

You can get a good used PCP that will fit that want for $650-$800,it will properly be British ,now scope it and figure how you going to put air in it.

Around $200 +++more will get you a popular BullPup....these are good deals you will have to wait a little while for and be quick to pull the trigger for.

You could go cheaper$$$with a Turkish or Spanish PCP.... Asian...

Me be thinking how are you going to fill it...that can become an expensive part of the equation....

I use a hand pump and use a Gamo Coyote.....but shoot under 50yds....it is accurate enough to test your skills....

50 to 100 yds .accurate and under $1000...how are you going to fill it with air,do you already have a good scope for it?

You can get a good used PCP that will fit that want for $650-$800,it will properly be British ,now scope it and figure how you going to put air in it.

Around $200 +++more will get you a popular BullPup....these are good deals you will have to wait a little while for and be quick to pull the trigger for.

You could go cheaper$$$with a Turkish or Spanish PCP.... Asian...

Me be thinking how are you going to fill it...that can become an expensive part of the equation....

I use a hand pump and use a Gamo Coyote.....but shoot under 50yds....it is accurate enough to test your skills....

I still need to figure this out, really. I have already figured that 3000+psi and hand pumping is out (at last for me). A buddy recommended getting a SCBA tank and going to a local fire/safety place to fill it. I gather this will be $500ish to get started and have factored that in, sort of. I am cheap, but I have also wasted a lot of money being cheap... This seams sensible and not to difficult.

I am not sure what popular gun you might be referring to for $200 more? I am funny with budgets, I am happy to spend a reasonable sum to get what I am looking for but I am not looking to spend the budget just because I have it. If there is a specific Turkish/Spanish PCP I should research more, I would be interested in hearing about it. I love a good bang for the buck.

I have a Vortex Strike Eagle and Athlon Ares waiting for a home (both on closeout at places if anyone is looking for one). I think either of these should do nicely on a PCP?

Thanks, Ben

Hi Ben,

Check out some online air gun stores ,that way you can become more learned with the different brands and styles,also the prices.

There are some air gun stores that advertise on the website....also start checking out the used PCPs on this site.

Seems like many people to not have to think budget,I like to think ," what is the best I can afford at the budget range I have set"...now learning what I really want and at what cost I need to pay for it takes time to study...also there are times when I see something that is.for sale at a crazy good price,then it is like screw the budget that is too good of a deal I am going for it!Yes just happened to me,unfortuntly there are many like me and in this case that Guy beat me to it.....LOL....

Turkish, Hansan and Kral Arms,Asian could be Snowpeak..Spanish is Gamo. Some people shoot their USA Benjamin Marauders at 100 yds...

I think you should try a BullPup before you buy one....to me a long rifle is better off the bags....ps all the rifles come in .177 and .22.some also in.25.....I think you may have to spend $1200-$1400 because of the air bottle..you want a up to date safe bottle and all the fittings.....see how cost go up...sorry..

You guys are causing me to second guess my desire for a bullpup. It was a good hint to try and find an air gun show (or a local shop, of course), but I am doubtful one will be near me. I haven't looked so, I should to be sure. Something the length of the Vulcan tactic is probably a good compromise. I know I don't want what my dad ended up with, which was a Maximus with a LDC hanging off the end. Fine for a bench gun, but I just don't see it being convenient for a quick grab to get the tree rats out of my pecans.

igolfat8, your method was exactly what I had originally planned. I got cold feet after hearing comments like "i wouldn't put dirty air from that thing in my gun" and just kind of wrote them off as a plan B. I only have a minute now while drinking the morning coffee. I'll drop you a message later on to discuss, if you don't mind.

Can't go wrong w/ Wildcat or Dreamliner bull! Watch the weight , it will be more of a factor the longer you shoot PCP's.

Might look into Raptor mini. Military discount knocks 10% & freight.

25 for good wind power. 22 for inexpensive shooting. Wind WILL be a factor in 177 & 22 .

Just jump it'll be fun. Keep us informed. We all see ourselves in the newbees!

I own a .22 and .25 wildcat mk1 and an edgun matador .25. If you keep the wildcat in the stock, the gun will stand up to anything you are willing to do to it but I do handle the gun more carefully than the matador without the stock on. Granted I don't throw around any of my guns but with the gun out of the stock, the wildcat seems more fragile then the matador. For hundred yard shooting, I would suggest a .25 wildcat and as for shooting a bullpup, you will get use to shooting any gun with practice. You can get some amazing deals in the classifieds and if you are handy and have a chrony, you could tune a wildcat for almost anything.

If you are used to and like long guns you may not like the fit of a bullpup, but I have found them to be quite comfortable. My .25 Impact MK II is pretty new, with only a few tins through it, so I can't speak for longevity, but so far I have had zero reliability problems- not even reg creep. I do recommend a .25 if you want to buck the wind. I haven't found the cost or the air to be much more than .22.

Sorry if I am turning this into a thread of many newb questions. I get the feeling that I should probably focus on a traditional gun, or perhaps something in between as a first step. I had a while back looked at the Dreamline/Streamline and the AA ultimate sporter. Why did you guys choose bullpup over traditional? It seems the pups are very popular in the upper price range offerings.

Sounds like I can't go wrong with .22 or .25, so I'll see what comes along there. I do have a chrono and, from shooting powder burners, very familiar with working up a load and tuning it for the gun. I am used to paying $22-35/100 just for the projectiles, then powder, primer and cases. So, the cost of .22 vs .25 isn't a huge deal, but if the gain isn't really there I prefer to save the cash.