Help needed. Budget scope $135 or below

Hi, i’m in need of suggestions. im looking to buy a budget scope under $135. I will use it mainly 10 yards or under for shooting rats at night, on Kral NP03, but want to zoom out a bit too later. I heard there is a scope with illumination of just one dot on center, but i could not find it.

I currently have this:
Leapers UTG 1" BugBuster 3-12X32 Scope, Side AO, Mil-dot, QD Rings (SCP-M312AOWQ) https://a.co/d/1Nyu3SN

I am having issues with the eye distance. If i move slightly too close or far, image gets too blurry.

I will not be buying any scopes that is above $135 because i am setting a specific budget for beginning of this hobby. If all the suggested scope is above $135, i will just keep the bugbuster and make do. i will not buy any used scopes.

• Wow
Reactions: pdxFrank
This is great for that size pcp. I had another very similar on my kral empire xs. Clear glass in these, great bang for the buck.

Screenshot_20220830-232357_eBay.jpg

Reactions: Puppadore
This is great for that size pcp. I had another very similar on my kral empire xs. Clear glass in these, great bang for the buck.

View attachment 286488
Thank you so much for the suggestion. I really appreciate it.
Would the 24 objective lense be ok to use at night with low light? I'm using the 32 objective lense.

Reactions: Scotay42
Thank you so much for the suggestion. I really appreciate it.
Would the 24 objective lense be ok to use at night with low light? I'm using the 32 objective lense.
No problem at all. I was getting headshots on possum, racoons and rats at 40 yards with my empire xs.

20220730_123203.jpg

I don't love the West Hunter 4-16 on my Avenger but I haven't taken it off yet either. Lots of features for the price but either the gun or scope seems to shift POI occasionally. I really like the Hawke Vantage 2-7 on my Prod and their 3-9x40 AO would also fit within budget.

I am sure I like West Hunter scope mounts, however, and have them on all 3 of my P35s. Some of their mounts put a picatinny mount on the side of the scope ring - seems like just the thing to hold a small flashlight.

Reactions: Puppadore
Hi, i’m in need of suggestions. im looking to buy a budget scope under $135. I will use it mainly 10 yards or under for shooting rats at night, on Kral NP03, but want to zoom out a bit too later. I heard there is a scope with illumination of just one dot on center, but i could not find it.

I currently have this:
Leapers UTG 1" BugBuster 3-12X32 Scope, Side AO, Mil-dot, QD Rings (SCP-M312AOWQ) https://a.co/d/1Nyu3SN

I am having issues with the eye distance. If i move slightly too close or far, image gets too blurry.

I will not be buying any scopes that is above $135 because i am setting a specific budget for beginning of this hobby. If all the suggested scope is above $135, i will just keep the bugbuster and make do. i will not buy any used scopes.

I had the same issue with the Bugbuster 3-12x32. Getting setup behind it was touchy to me.

The Westhunter scope linked above has two different reticles, IIRC. I don't recall if one of them has only the center dot illuminated. I think with both the dot and the surrounding donut/horseshoe illuminate but double check that.

I have an inexpensive Sniper 1-5x24 FFP where only the center dot illuminates. It is an FFP scope so the center dot grows with magnification but since I suspect you'll be on 1x most of the time for night time pesting that shouldn't be a problem. I should point out that the reticle pictured online is not what is on my scope so not sure if it changed and what part illuminates if it has.

I have never used that Sniper on pests at dusk or later so I can't comment on low light performance. But having used other small objective scopes I think it's a reasonable concern.

Sorry I'm not able to recommend a scope that meets your requirements. A few thing to consider and think about though. At what distance will you zero your Kral NP03? Depending on power level, most people set their zero anywhere between 20 to 30 yards. If you plan to zero it at 10 yards, whatever scope you choose will need a lot of elevation in the turret to get you at POA/POI. If the Kral NP03 doesn't have any MOA incline on the scope rail, you'll be shooting low unless you get adjustable scope rings. I see that you want a floating center dot in the reticle but you might have to use holdover if the scope's turrets are not up to the task of dialing it in. Just some things to think about.

Sorry I'm not able to recommend a scope that meets your requirements. A few thing to consider and think about though. At what distance will you zero your Kral NP03? Depending on power level, most people set their zero anywhere between 20 to 30 yards. If you plan to zero it at 10 yards, whatever scope you choose will need a lot of elevation in the turret to get you at POA/POI. If the Kral NP03 doesn't have any MOA incline on the scope rail, you'll be shooting low unless you get adjustable scope rings. I see that you want a floating center dot in the reticle but you might have to use holdover if the scope's turrets are not up to the task of dialing it in. Just some things to think about.
Thank you for your advice Peskadot, I am not understanding fully why I should be shooting low if I zero at 10 yards. Do you mean that if I zero a scope at 10 yards, my shots will be wonky at longer distances? Kral NP03 doesn't have any incline on rail or adjustable scope rings, im just using regular rings on regular rail.

I have zeroed the airgun at 10 yards in backyard, but I've never shot further yet. I am in LA county with high population, so I was planning on taking the gun on hikes to shoot at longer distances.

Thank you everyone.
I have a question on the objective lense.
Is there any benefit of having a smaller objective lense?

I'm asking because I like this scope's simple reticle.. none of the mil-dot stuff I have no idea how to use:

Is it suitable for close range?
For low light conditions smaller objective is worse.

Thank you everyone.
I have a question on the objective lense.
Is there any benefit of having a smaller objective lense?

I'm asking because I like this scope's simple reticle.. none of the mil-dot stuff I have no idea how to use:

Is it suitable for close range?
Hawke scopes are excellent. IMO for short range pesting the max 9x magnification will be fine. 40mm objective will be decent for lower light levels. I don't know what the closest focus is on that one. OTOH of all scopes I have owned they will all focus down to 20-25 feet.

Thank you for your advice Peskadot, I am not understanding fully why I should be shooting low if I zero at 10 yards. Do you mean that if I zero a scope at 10 yards, my shots will be wonky at longer distances? Kral NP03 doesn't have any incline on rail or adjustable scope rings, im just using regular rings on regular rail.

I have zeroed the airgun at 10 yards in backyard, but I've never shot further yet. I am in LA county with high population, so I was planning on taking the gun on hikes to shoot at longer distances.
Scope height over bore. If you have it zeroed at 10 yards and try to shoot at 5 yards, you'll need more MOA or MIL clicks up travel in your elevation turret. Running your scope at the edge of elevation travel whether up or down is not recommended. It could also cause image distortion, loss of zero or a wandering zero in your scope.