Help Needed - Best Compressor

Plus, it’s not just gonna be the $220 from Allibabba, it never is. It’s gonna be more like the $220 plus another $500 or more, from added filtration, homemade carts with wheels to haul it around, trinquet stands to hold the filters, timers, etc, piping and specialty valves, and upgrading the water pump from a tile saw pump from Home Depot. 

What is ones time worth? 

444.1603472336.JPG

666.1603472389.JPG

With this you can open a air fill business on the side. Its breathable quality air in an industrial piece of equipment.

Now that I got mine home, and the plug installed, I thought I would post a few pictures. Let me say: the vertical configuration is REALLY nice with the roller feet-super easy to move around for one person!

F3D164D8-9F7A-4061-9008-9AEE4A848C22.1606583238.jpeg
0B6FA21B-7AFB-44C4-8D61-FBBE84CC075D.1606583240.jpeg
5AF19A91-31AB-4DED-85B8-6CE6E0649548.1606583241.jpeg
4456C0D9-EE25-4F65-939F-3C57EC57A1F4.1606583243.jpeg

I like having the hour counter on the unit as well. You can tell this unit was designed right. Talking to David, he made it clear the the parts sourced in the unit were German or other high quality parts-and it shows in person. Definitely happy with my purchase!

I just need to wait for my male-to-male foster fitting to arrive now (included by Alkin).

I should also add: David (user: AlkinCompr) has been super helpful to me (as has Steve, aka Humdinger, here on the forum). David reached out to me to ask if I had any questions, based on my post here at AGN. Since then, he has emailed me, texted me, called me live on the phone, and PM’d me to answer all my questions. That includes texting me back within minutes, after hours, for simple questions I had. This kind of support definitely makes spending a little more money well worth the expense.

Additionally, the unit came with a 44 page parts book that has exploded views of exactly how the unit is constructed, with part numbers for everything, and wiring diagram for the whole unit! The only thing it doesn’t have is torque specs-but I’m certain David will provide them if I ever needed them.

The parts book is separate from the 55 page manual of operation…

Hope that information helps.

Sean

Sean did you get your Alkin from New Jersey? If you don’t mind, how much did it cost to ship to WI and did they ship to your home? I’m in eastern MN so I’d be looking at a bit more. I really like the look of your vertical! Uj

Hey UJ,

Yes, I bought direct (since they all ship from NJ anyway). I received two quotes: one was for shipping to a loading dock ($160) and the other was direct to my home ($250, I think-I’ll double check).

The vertical unit really is nice and I’m glad I went with it. It makes moving around really easy-which is important right now because we are getting the insulation done in the basement, and a bedroom/bathroom built down there also. Thus I am already using the portability right from the start. The unit is not all that loud either-pretty pleased with that.

Let me know if you have any more questions-I’ll be glad to answer them.

Sean

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Wow! What great timing. I am a long time gunner but a newbie to pcp airguns mostly due to squirrels getting into my attic and the boredom due to covid. I've learned a lot in the last few months due to trying to be thrifty with my pcp purchases but have gone back to the theory to buy the best that I could afford. SMH77 congrats on your decision and thank you for starting this discussion. I just made a couple of calls today trying to confirm my decision of this same compressor. I have grow very tired of the time spent in traffic just to have a bottle filled and the thought of dirty moist air in my rifle. Thanks for the great pics and confirming that this w31 vertical 220volt is the way to go. Thanks to all the contributors that gave their opinions. In your opinion which options would you suggest besides auto shutdown and drain? Thanks 

Wow! What great timing. I am a long time gunner but a newbie to pcp airguns mostly due to squirrels getting into my attic and the boredom due to covid. I've learned a lot in the last few months due to trying to be thrifty with my pcp purchases but have gone back to the theory to buy the best that I could afford. SMH77 congrats on your decision and thank you for starting this discussion. I just made a couple of calls today trying to confirm my decision of this same compressor. I have grow very tired of the time spent in traffic just to have a bottle filled and the thought of dirty moist air in my rifle. Thanks for the great pics and confirming that this w31 vertical 220volt is the way to go. Thanks to all the contributors that gave their opinions. In your opinion which options would you suggest besides auto shutdown and drain? Thanks

Glad the discussion has been useful-I learned a lot and owe what I know to the great members here (especially to Humdinger). I would pass along the advice he gave to me, as (in retrospect), it's spot on accurate: don't opt for the auto drain and auto shutdown, as it won't be used (the compressor doesn't run long enough to need it). Instead, simply ask them to set the pressure shutoff to 4700 psi (assuming, of course, you're filling 4500 psi tanks) and you'll be all set to go. The other thing you may ask them to include is a male to male foster adapter. They should also set the hose up with a female foster end on the end of the fill hose.

I ordered direct from Alkin (David) and he was great to work with...

Sean

I wish I had found this thread two years ago. Since then, I've acquired a Yong Heng (actually been through three with exchanges via ebay vendors and Amazon), an Air Venturi 4500 (that seems to enjoy travel as well, as it's been back to Ohio already, and taken apart and reassembled by me), and way more knowledge about high pressure air compressors than I ever wanted. They both work well now, and I'll happily trade them both for a new W31 if anyone is willing. Excessive spare parts for both included.

I've also done enough research to know that my next major air gun purchase is a vertical W31, as that will fit my needs and budget best. For what I have into this learning lesson, I coulda already had a W31 and a whole bunch more time spent on better things.

Just reviving this thread to save someone else from learning the hard way.

I went big and small after fatigue with a Hill MK3 and a AirForce EPump where I was the eChump. LC-110 since 2018 from AoA and a 90cu-in Ninja bottle with EZ valve. “Right sized” the setup and I have been happy.

mtndragon I know the frustration and stress first hand. It is like tossing money down the toilet over and over each time hoping the next time the toilet clogs it overflows with gold bars.

I wish I had found this thread two years ago. Since then, I've acquired a Yong Heng (actually been through three with exchanges via ebay vendors and Amazon), an Air Venturi 4500 (that seems to enjoy travel as well, as it's been back to Ohio already, and taken apart and reassembled by me), and way more knowledge about high pressure air compressors than I ever wanted. They both work well now, and I'll happily trade them both for a new W31 if anyone is willing. Excessive spare parts for both included.

I've also done enough research to know that my next major air gun purchase is a vertical W31, as that will fit my needs and budget best. For what I have into this learning lesson, I coulda already had a W31 and a whole bunch more time spent on better things.

Just reviving this thread to save someone else from learning the hard way.

I went big and small after fatigue with a Hill MK3 and a AirForce EPump where I was the eChump. LC-110 since 2018 from AoA and a 90cu-in Ninja bottle with EZ valve. “Right sized” the setup and I have been happy.

mtndragon I know the frustration and stress first hand. It is like tossing money down the toilet over and over each time hoping the next time the toilet clogs it overflows with gold bars.

My YH is now over 3 years old and still tops off my Great White tank in a bit over 10 minutes so the relative value to me has been high. Others haven't had as good a result with YH compressors. Failures were noted with the LC-110 when it was released as well. Certainly nothing wrong with starting with an Alkin or other dive compressors but it ain't the only way. Options are usually a good thing.

My 2004 model W31 just hit 44 hours. This thing runs like a well oiled top, and never ceases to surprise me each and every time I use it. 

I actually look forward to my tanks getting low, as I really dig using this thing. A few pics to share-

C31C562D-E0D5-4DF0-9FBB-43680D262773.1628768870.jpeg
ECEE16B4-B6D7-4D91-A6F1-B9A68809EC54.1628768870.jpeg
C497D3FA-3444-420D-8ECB-57BB2C2CBC50.1628768871.jpeg
D07768BE-A365-4F29-B4FF-64565E4E0C3C.1628768871.jpeg
BA673E5C-E754-4D46-8939-0CFC893BC8E0.1628768871.jpeg

When sourcing your electrical supplies wether you do your own electrical or hire it out, keep it simple. No need to buy expensive and bulky dryer type plugs just cause it says 220v. If doing the electrical yourself, invest in the book at Home Depot that’s usually pinned up in the aisles of the electrical parts section, titled “Wiring Simplified”. It’ll have load charts that’ll aid in wire size needed for the distance you’re Alkin will be at from the panel and your breaker used. 

I opted to go one size up in wire size to #12, and at that wire size I can go out as far as 75’ which includes the cord on the Alkin, to carry the amps. I stayed at around 30’, which in my case is perfect as I can wheel my cart out to one end of the garage and the plug on the #12 extension cord taps into the outlet on the opposite end.

From my garage’s sub panel to the outlet is only like 18”, and I went overkill and used #10 wire from breaker to outlet.