Help Me With ODNR Rules Change Submission To Include Airguns Airbows For Deer

I was lucky enough to catch when the ODNR (Ohio Department of Natural Resources) is having a meeting to propose rule changes for the 2024 season, and I was considering submitting something for airgun and airbow use for deer season.

I was thinking of specifying specs similar to what Michigan does:
  • Specify minimum caliber for airguns.
  • Specify minimum energy for airguns.
  • Specify minimum velocity for airbow with a bolt of a specific weight.
Do I think I need to include other info? Should I go over the advancements in PCP airguns? Should I list a sample of the commercially available airguns that meet this criteria, or will this possibly cause more confusion?

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I would strongly suggest reaching out to the ASA (Airgun Sporting Association) as they are the industry voice for this kind of stuff. They may already be actively engaged in conversations with ODNR officials as well, so best to reach out and see if they have any suggestions to make sure folks are in alignment.

I know a lot of folks that have submitted letters/requests in years past with no replies from the ODNR, myself included. Hopefully we can get some momentum and bring this conversation to the forefront.

Reactions: woogie_man
I would strongly suggest reaching out to the ASA (Airgun Sporting Association) as they are the industry voice for this kind of stuff. They may already be actively engaged in conversations with ODNR officials as well, so best to reach out and see if they have any suggestions to make sure folks are in alignment.

I know a lot of folks that have submitted letters/requests in years past with no replies from the ODNR, myself included. Hopefully we can get some momentum and bring this conversation to the forefront.
Thanks for this.

I saw they were having a request for rule changes that the public needs to notify them at least two days prior. I believe it's necessary to show up in person to present your case.

They know more about airguns than you think. Don't try to impress them with your knowledge. Money motivates, speak of growing the numbers of paying hunters. Mention other states near and far who have expanded airgun hunting. Mention the advanced age and expendable income of the average airgun hunter. A petition signed by as many as possible in and out of state saying they would participate in any expansion of airgun hunting would help. Just don't expect too much. Speaking at a meeting is like planting a seed, Sometimes it takes root sometimes not. Try to keep in mind its far easier to get them to help themselves than do airgunners any favors. Most meetings are just dog and poney shows they have already decided before hand and nothing is going to change that. But your efforts will help because to harvest you must plant. Keep throwing seed and be very patient the famous speech of Martin Luther King comes to mind. I may not get there with you, but as a people bla bla bla. Good luck.