Help me pick out first PCP rifle

I am just getting into the air rifle sport. Last week I ordered my first quality air rifle: a weihrauch hw50s. After doing some more reading and youtube watching, I am also interested in looking into buying my first PCP air rifle. I would mainly be using it for target shooting and longer range backyard pest control: 50-75 yards if those distances are possible. I really don't plan on shooting it a ton, however. What I am really interested in is a PCP that may have a lower shot count but could be filled using a hand pump. I'm not interested in getting a scuba tank or anything. I know how hard it can be to fill these with a hand pump, but like I said I don't plan on shooting it very often. Do you have any recommendations on PCP guns to look at? Looking to stay around $600-800. Also, I am left handed, so ambi stock would be preferable. It's ok if the cocking lever is on right side though. thank you all for your help. 

You will probably get recommendations for the Benjamin Marauder. I have no experience with it, but it's a proven, US made rifle with good support. You might also look for a good used rifle in the next higher tier.

As for hand pumping, I had enough of it after a couple of days, but many folks do it and find it acceptable. Be sure you get a good quality pump, like Hill, with a moisture filter. It's critical to keep water out of the cylinder or bottle.

For your $800 budget I would take a very hard look at this gun sitting on the classifieds now. A quality gun and known accuracy 
Screenshot_20220104-085513_Chrome.1641304809.jpg
Screenshot_20220104-085537_Chrome.1641304824.jpg

I think the classified are a great place to shop for what you describe as wanting. I hear great things about the S510s although I have no experience with them. I have a Marauder gen 1 .25 I would describe as the Jeep CJ of the PCP world. Rugged, reasonably accurate, they have been wildly and radically modified, or left as stock workhorses. A field and target model would suit your described uses well. Whatever you get I recommend an air dryer and pump. Hand pumps are notorious for adding water vapor that condenses causing corosion. 

Jim 

If you're doing a handpump, avoid rifles that need OVER 3000 psi fill, ideally you'd tune for 2600-2800 psi fills as that is quite easy to achieve, and in 22 cal most rifles would provide plenty of shots before the end of your bell curve (unregulated) or your regulated pressure (generally 1600-1800 psi for a .22 cal)

Lots of options, markets a bit over-saturated, some options far better than others. 

Avoid classifieds like the plague, get brand new, you don't want to buy someone else's rifle and all its potential issues when you can buy brand new with warranty as a NEW user that isn't knowledge about these rifles. Not sure why people here recommending a new guy get a used gun with no warranty...sheesh

OK so, couple of things ;

Someone mentioned buying a HILL pump,......DON'T !!!!!! I have handpumped for 15 years and had 8 HILL's and the current crop of generic 50 bucks China pump ( sold in many different names and forms ) are better.

Second ;

In today's PCP world The Marauder as fallen way behind and you can get a bunch of better guns for the price or even less,

also like suggested the classified can get you some very nice used guns for those prices.

Reactions: Mauipilikia
^^ Not knocking the Air Arms brand except but in this case. Usually well known for manufacturing accurate guns since they supposedly use Lothar Walther barrels.

That 10 shot group is from only 30 yards. Looks like over an inch. I wouldn't buy it if I wanted to shoot any farther than 30 yards especially 50 and 75 yards as the poster mentioned. At least not with that barrel.

A buddy of mine has an Air Arms 410 which is probably close to 10 years old and I got to shoot it a while back. Groups were easily consistently half that size at 50 yards all could cover with a dime. It also did not have a regulator just like that 510 for sale which appears to be unregulated as well.

I recall him having fill the 410 after every 15 shots to stay with in a sweet spot when shooting 50 yards for groups with the power maxed out such as above. Start fill pressure was well short of 3000 pounds psi maximum in order to get a 15 shot flat enough power curve.

It could shoot up to 30 shots if and when shooting at close range such as up to 20 or 25 yards when filled to 3000 pounds psi. It shot the best with the power dial all the way up.

He did mention he did not want to lose the top end power by adding a regulator.

I even got to shoot a Daystate Huntsman not regulated and recall better accuracy and got at least 25 or a little over that much accurate shots. 

I would buy a Daystate Huntsman or probably a Brocock Compatto before buying an Air Arms if given the choice if they both cost the same and if I had your budget.

Speaking of Brocock. Handled one and my friend refused to let me try to use my hand pump to fill his Compatto. I just was curious how many pumps it would take so I could decide on buying a new one since he refuse to sell that one or his Huntsman too.

The Brocock Compatto was really light and easy to point and shoot. The ergonomics seemed perfect for a carry around and shoot all day gun. It did not have a regulator but just like the Huntsman shot exceptionally well without one.

Looked like the Compatto had a small air tube so I can imagine it would be manageable to use a hand pump. 

I have the $50 Chinese Vevor hand pump with a $20 in line filter. These were on sale for $25 a year ago from Amazon. I paid $45 and so far so good no trouble pumping over a year now. It came with a complete o ring rebuild kit and the tool to take it apart.

I am not sure if a Hill brand pump would last significantly longer than this cheap Chinese pump for more than four times the price.

I have a Benjamin Maximus that is super easy to hand pump which only requires 2000 pounds psi to fill. Roughly just about or slightly under an inch at 50 yards.

This gun and a Crosman 1701 pistol carbine are by far the easiest to use a hand pump to fill.

Also a Fortirude that had a leak and less power than the Maximus probably perfect as a 177 though. I probably look into buying a 177 from Sportsmans Guide for $249 and pray it don't leak. Or at least have them check one that is at 3000 pounds psi for few days before sending it to me. Trigger terrible just make the Maximus but can be lightened by replacing a ball point pen spring seen on you tube videos. Hesitant to add the 3 screws mod as if I needed to use the remainder of the 5 year warranty. The pen spring is good enough for now. Thought about the Marauder trigger upgrade but may be later.

Have a Gamo Urban and is manageable to hand pump. About an inch at 50 yards surprising over all gun for an entry level gun.

My Crosman 1701 pistol carbine had been modified for more power but I don't know exactly what was done I bought it used.

About an inch some times smaller at 50 yards from a rest and no wind. I highly recommend it but don't know how one would shoot straight out of its box unmodified.

I would say start with a Daystate Huntsman it Brocock Compatto they are $1000 each new. Probably $700 or less for a used Huntsman. I seen Compattos sell used for cheap as $525 before. 

Then a Crosman 1701 accuracy is mind blowing when modified. Super quiet too with an added on silencer. Mine looks like a skinny plastic tube with a carbon fibre wrap seems to do its job very well.

Probably want a half inch grouping gun at 50 yards if you plan to shoot at 75 yards.

Benjamin Akela if lucky you get a good one that could do it like on you tube videos. 

My most important criteria first is accuracy then easy to hand pump then proven history of reliable then able to make very quiet. 

I noticed that too with the AA rifle. I also blew up the picture and it said 30 yards and that isn’t good at all. I think that might’ve been the shooter and not the gun. That gun should do way better than that. They would’ve been better off not even showing that picture. But at least they’re honest it seems. My first PCP was a Benjamin maximus and would do groups half that size easily at 30 yards Without even trying that hard With the second Brand of pellet that I tried.And it was $180 gun when I bought it.And my Cheap $40 Chinese hand pump is still running strong after 8 1/2 years.I’ll keep the inner shift lubricated with a thin coat of silicone oil and don’t let it warm up too much. Don’t have to use it much now though.Take a look at the Benjamin Cayden. It’s kind of similar to the marauder but has a side lever instead of a bolt action. Has a good shot count and trigger. Real walnut stock also.

I really like the look of the daystate huntsman. Would it be possible to hand pump this rifle? It's ok if it is kind of unenjoyable, I really only plan to put a max of 100 shots per year through it. Any good suggestions on what pump/filter to buy? And stupid question: what is the difference between a cylinder and a bottle? thank you all for your help 

I really like the look of the daystate huntsman. Would it be possible to hand pump this rifle? It's ok if it is kind of unenjoyable, I really only plan to put a max of 100 shots per year through it. Any good suggestions on what pump/filter to buy? And stupid question: what is the difference between a cylinder and a bottle? thank you all for your help

Daystate huntsman is a very good gun. It’s my most favorite PCP in my collection. Good build quality and accurate and also very light. Don’t know if you’re talking about the older style bolt action huntsman or the newer side lever though. The older ones are cheaper. I have the Huntsman revere which is the newer model. You’re going to be paying more unless you buy a used one. You can hand pump it but not all the way up. Not unless you’re Superman.Go with a Chinese Handpump and get a three stage filter that has the beads charcoal and cotton. You can find those on eBay or Amazon. The pump and the filter.Oh and as far as the cylinder gun, it’s smaller than a bottle. The bottle guns are the ones that have a big bottle underneath the barrel And at the front of the forend that makes the Gun look pregnant. That would be harder to hand pump.The people that like them are the ones that like high shot counts.

Yes Daystate Huntmen ,any Air Arms rifle......best for low $$$$$$$ Gamo Urban,,,easy to hand pump and can switch bolt....

I have been pumping with a Hill for about 4years with no problems.....

How good can you shoot the HW50? I say take your time ,,,good advise on Not getting any PCP that takes more than 3000psi.....why not get a PCP pistol ,like a P rod or 1920T.

As you can see ,this place is an enablers paradise....LOL....you may need scope too...we will be all over that to...

Take a look at the Benjamin Cayden. It’s kind of similar to the marauder but has a side lever instead of a bolt action. Has a good shot count and trigger. Real walnut stock also.

The Cayden has no similarities to the Marauder whatsoever,....A Turkish gun,...monoblock, sidelever, power adjuster it's pretty much a Kral

and if you want to buy a Turkish gun I would suggest going through Troy Hammer rather then buying re-branded Crosman guns.

Take a look at the Kuzey line on Troy's website.